Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Winter Regional Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Had a snow shower just before I went to bed gave a slight covering then icy,but its thawed overnight as the temp went up still some patchy snow left,no ice now min of 1.5c now 3.5c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Just sleet, rain and hail here last night. No white visible even on the mountain tops. More showers, sometimes organised to come with snow restricted to the mountains before briefly turning colder mid week then more wind and heavy rain moves in from the Atlantic on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Rain showers only....so much for James Madden's "widespread snow"...what a deluded muppet.

• Like 5

Posted

Rain showers only....so much for James Madden's "widespread snow"...what a deluded muppet.

he's probably very successful with the lotto

Posted

watching "the jump" - channel 4 - lovely fluffy flakes falling down in Austria

while back in Wales - wet snow/hail showers persist

interesting for saturday

Posted Image

wednesday night still looking okish too

Posted Image

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I guess that the Met Office do not feel it warrants a warning, to be fair it is of a showery nature and not extreme amounts as yet.

Posted

feels colder out there today, but notice the charts that where showing snow have moved a few day away again. Tv weather experts have said going to get much colder starting tomorrow but on radio they said it will be short lived and back to the rain. any thoughts on this guys? don't think many areas can take much more rain, I know this area the fields are very wet to say the least and I noticed a few river banks have fallen in and starting to change the flow of the river that could cause problems if it continues.

Posted

feels colder out there today, but notice the charts that where showing snow have moved a few day away again. Tv weather experts have said going to get much colder starting tomorrow but on radio they said it will be short lived and back to the rain. any thoughts on this guys? don't think many areas can take much more rain, I know this area the fields are very wet to say the least and I noticed a few river banks have fallen in and starting to change the flow of the river that could cause problems if it continues.

guys on the mod thread waving the white flag on this winter - seems the constant lows hitting up against the cold block which is out of reach for the UK - means westerly/south westerly winds and lows being held up across us - doesn't mean we won't see anymore cold weather - but looks more like more of the same for now - we've been closish but always a week away from something decent this year - meanwhile the scottish ski resorts are buried in snow and concerned about avalanches!!!!!!!!!!! - temps a little lower would have meant countrywide conditions similar - close but no cigar - but we live in hope - late feb/into march may still come up with something!

short term - tomoz afternoon into evening we may see some wintry weather and friday/saturday there is some potential still

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Well if they are surrendering in the MOT we can safely predict a severely cold and snowy second half to Feb!Posted Image

EDIT: Where did your post go Andy??

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 3

Posted

I guess that the Met Office do not feel it warrants a warning, to be fair it is of a showery nature and not extreme amounts as yet.

Heavy showery rain here all night and a very prolonged heavy shower now 1 inch recorded some bits of sleet mixed in but flooding is going to be the big issue.Wettest January on record.

Posted

Yellow Alert of Ice for Wales : Wrexham, Powys, Monmouthshire, Newport, Torfaen, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil, Rhonnda Cynon Taff & Vale of Glamorgan valid from 2100 Wed 29 Jan to 1000 Thu 30 Jan

if only - Glencoe now up around 300cms

Posted Image
Edited by andymusic

Posted

Heavy showery rain here all night and a very prolonged heavy shower now 1 inch recorded some bits of sleet mixed in but flooding is going to be the big issue.Wettest January on record.

A long way to go of course, but I wonder if we'll be in with a shot at the wettest Welsh winter on record? 1994-5 is the winter to beat, with 684mm, so we need to average around 228mm a month.  With 222mm recorded for December, January surely coming in higher than this (certainly in my area - may have been drier further N/E), and the models trending back to a zonal outlook for at least the start of February, we may be in with a shout.

The wettest January in Wales is 1948 with 301.4mm, but only 2 others (1974 & 1928) have recorded more than 250mm, so we could be in for a top 3 finish?  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries

Not the records I would have wanted to see challenged at the start of winter though!

Edit: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-weather-january-set-confirmed-6581798 suggests we may have the wettest January although quoted figures are not the Met Office Wales figures.

Edited by virtualsphere

I was up in Llandrindod Wells for a course today, and going by some of the showers up there, if they had been snow, I very much doubt being able to get back by now.

Would not fancy travelling around the Sugar Loaf in icy conditions.

Posted

Can some parts of Wales see a snowflake today? latest from the met Rather cloudy with scattered showers, these becoming wintry over the hills and perhaps falling as sleet or snow to some lower levels in the east by this evening. Some bright spells are possible, particularly in the west. Cold easterly winds. Maximum temperature 7 °C.