Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Lol that cattles like wtf !! You dont see that often,what the hell was that!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25873559

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looks very icy for anyone off out early this morning with our bit of snow still remaining on the car windscreens but at 1c we are still waiting for our first sub freezing temperature of 2014.

As for today, looks like plenty of rain on the way with a chance (only that) of a little snow with altitude.

Weekend.....chance of some wintry showers on Saturday, plenty of wet around on Sunday.

As yesterday proved, some places may get lucky, others won't be happy and for all of us, it's borderline stuff.

Anyway time to go out and see how icy it actually is.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Whats happened to northern half of the front? The ppn has all but vanished!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/ run through the overnight sequence. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Champagne corks are being popped and cigars lit in the model thread, can some of the more knowledgable in here shed any light on what this means for our region, couldn,t stand it if we miss out like we usually do.

Champagne corks are being popped and cigars lit in the model thread, can some of the more knowledgable in here shed any light on what this means for our region, couldn,t stand it if we miss out like we usually do.

Im not really up on it all but follow it rather than post. I think its more of a eastern event.we were going to take some flack a few days ago but from what i gather we will miss out on any fun.its very marginal anyways.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Whilst I am lurking in the mod thread and quietly getting excited I have to constantly remind myself that it would take something truly exceptional to give my back yard a dollop of snow. Ever the optimist I live in hope.

• Like 1

Posted

Cold block building to the NE/East looks like finally putting a halt to the constant stream of rain and wind we've had up to now this winter.  Its champagne all round as 90% of the posters in the MO thread are SE based, and they "normally" do well out of anything from an e'rly direction. 

Normal fayre really, those to the East and with height of our region will do ok (if its snow you're after)  especially if we can get a few stalling fronts coming in off the Atlantic with the cold air already in place. 

Long, long way out, but the forecact for next weekend posted above by Weather History illustrates what can happen when the fronts bump up against the cold air. 

Blackburn is usually fine for snow when this occurs, you are normally far enough east. Still, all if's and buts though, the cold needs to establish itself first when/if that happens it may get interesting for some, finally.

Posted

Seems to be quite mild here and starting to spit a bit of rain...skies cleared last night for a short time, then clouded over and the temp went up.

Posted

About 5 degrees here, getting colder though. Drizzly kind of weather with the odd gust of wind now and again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well I'm not up to date on the models as I rarely post here when the weather sucks, but I for one would be thankful of some sunny, crisp days as opposed to this mild, damp, depressing mush we've had to endeavour for so long. Any snow is a bonus. Looking at last nights 18z run, we had a series of north westerly incursions bringing sub -5C uppers, given the right set up and embedded surface cold, it wouldn't take much for a setup like that to deliver for much of the reason. Embedded surface cold was certainly the theme of last nights 18Z run, although it was a particulary cloudy run unfortunately.

A pattern change would be lovely some time this century... Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

feb 1996 anyone?

Posted Image

Posted Image

You sure??, you don't need -7 uppers for a slider with a slow moving front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Looks like there is a cold spell coming that will define this Winter. Obviously I have nothing to back this up with, but I get the feeling (from experience of other situations), that this will be a cold event colder and with more longevity than it shows at the moment. Perhaps it all hinges on the potential snow event, if that comes off I suspect it will be a self reinforcing thing, much like 2010 (although I doubt it'll be as severe obviously), whereby snowfalls, repetitive hard frosts occur, and despite milder upper after, a very cold outlook resumes. 

I could be way off of course, but I just get that niggling feeling.

The model output has been evolving towards cold recently more and more, against background signals? So for you guys, it's game on I think!

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 5

Looks like there is a cold spell coming that will define this Winter. Obviously I have nothing to back this up with, but I get the feeling (from experience of other situations), that this will be a cold event colder and with more longevity than it shows at the moment. Perhaps it all hinges on the potential snow event, if that comes off I suspect it will be a self reinforcing thing, much like 2010 (although I doubt it'll be as severe obviously), whereby snowfalls, repetitive hard frosts occur, and despite milder upper after, a very cold outlook resumes. 

I could be way off of course, but I just get that niggling feeling.

The model output has been evolving towards cold recently more and more, against background signals? So for you guys, it's game on I think!

would love to be right,its still way off though.And I here in Liverpool am not in a favourable position

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Au Contraire, if it's cold you're after then suburban Liverpool would be in perfect position to see some hard frost.. especially when the short easterly kicks in... coastal parts of NW England can get the coldest temperatures in the entirety of England in those setup, ie Crosby 2009, 2010, and Southport and Morecambe 2010. 

Well whatever happens, we do have potential for a fair bit of snow, if not on the main event, then thereafter in the form of showers.

Looking at the models, there's not a huge amount of room for manoeuvre for the pressure systems, so we can almost 100% guarantee cold lasting into February.. but we'll have to see how much cold that entails. 

For what it;s worth that's coming from someone who wouldn't mind a completely none-cold Winter. I've been very happy with Winter so far, however, when it changes, it changes, and that's just the way it is.

• Like 2

Au Contraire, if it's cold you're after then suburban Liverpool would be in perfect position to see some hard frost.. especially when the short easterly kicks in... coastal parts of NW England can get the coldest temperatures in the entirety of England in those setup, ie Crosby 2009, 2010, and Southport and Morecambe 2010. 

Well whatever happens, we do have potential for a fair bit of snow, if not on the main event, then thereafter in the form of showers.

Looking at the models, there's not a huge amount of room for manoeuvre for the pressure systems, so we can almost 100% guarantee cold lasting into February.. but we'll have to see how much cold that entails. 

For what it;s worth that's coming from someone who wouldn't mind a completely none-cold Winter. I've been very happy with Winter so far, however, when it changes, it changes, and that's just the way it is.

whhat kind of time frame are we looking at here for this possible snow event? late next week? 

Posted

After the weekend exclusively.

So still changeable time frames.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Only see anything wintry today that Winter Hill is snowcapped this morning. That means snow isn't too far away now.