Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Model thread seems a little doom n gloomy sonething about Sh#t hitting the fan...not too great.

Oh well gonna have to buy myself some of that powder snow that u add water too and chuck that in the air and get the kids to stand under it...desperate times and all that jazz.

• Like 1

Posted

Is it me or is the rain trying to sleet here? There is bits of white in the rain. Its only 5C here too.

Not just you. I think I actually saw snow here around midday. No, I mean it. And it wasn't sleety wet stuff either - it looked like the small grainy flakes which tend to be associated with sub-marginal easterlies. Obviously this sounds nuts: it felt way too warm out for anything even remotely wintry, and it may have been something else falling from the sky - but what? It looked and behaved every bit like those smaller, drier flakes which flutter in the breeze and take forever to reach the ground. Whatever it was it definitely wasn't rain.

I should add that it was only very light precipitation which wasn't easily noticed (had it been rain you wouldn't have noticed at all). And it did start to rain not long afterwards.

Any other explanations? I'm starting to doubt my own sanity here!

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

What people av had snow mixed in with their rain not fair Posted Image

WHOPEEE LOL A bit of sleet

sorry LOL get my sarcastic head off

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Is it me or is the rain trying to sleet here? There is bits of white in the rain. Its only 5C here too.

I meant was ice were in the raindrops and I pretty sure the snowline wouldn't be too far up, probably just above Winter Hill's height. I only just judging by it.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

I wasnt being sarcastic i want snow mixed in with my rain... its a start :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I meant was ice were in the raindrops and I pretty sure the snowline wouldn't be too far up, probably just above Winter Hill's height. I only just judging by it.

Just a shame that there's little in the region, outside of the Lakes and Peak District higher than Winter Hill.Certainly nothing fallen here or 400m ASL at the top of the road and at almost 6c not much chance in the next few hours.Next week though, maybe some hope.

Posted

mmm... you'd like this to come off for next week

Posted Image

Posted Image

...but probably one of the more progressive attempts... still it's a straw to clutch at...

..in the meantime as John Hammond just said on BBC News - some filthy (i.e. lots of rain) weather coming up Friday and Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Eno's just mentioned the S word in her forecast for the next few days starting overnight tonight.

At that short range, what can possibly go wrong.

Now where have I put the downgrade manual because I'm sure that the answer will be in there somewhere.

• Like 1

Posted

Eno's just mentioned the S word in her forecast for the next few days starting overnight tonight.At that short range, what can possibly go wrong.Now where have I put the downgrade manual because I'm sure that the answer will be in there somewhere.

Just saw that....snow flurries saturday....graphics had snow on peak district too....yes please.... But im guessing no to it....but im willing to be proven wrong....

Posted

Just saw that....snow flurries saturday....graphics had snow on peak district too....yes please.... But im guessing no to it....but im willing to be proven wrong....

It was also interesting to see the News 24 forecast at 7pm where it showed Sundays potential storm crossing the Atlantic with a lot of snow on it.This is after all the one which is currently dumping heavy snow on the Eastern seaboard but will it reach us as snow or will the default setting of cold rain take over.If it was snow the country would be buried but my fiver is going on wet rather than white with things taking a turn towards winter weather after this clears through early next week.

Posted

It was also interesting to see the News 24 forecast at 7pm where it showed Sundays potential storm crossing the Atlantic with a lot of snow on it.This is after all the one which is currently dumping heavy snow on the Eastern seaboard but will it reach us as snow or will the default setting of cold rain take over.If it was snow the country would be buried but my fiver is going on wet rather than white with things taking a turn towards winter weather after this clears through early next week.

Supposedly tonight it might snow as well.....its 4c atm.... Im looking forward to colder weather but its been 0to-4c here and weve had at least two weeks worth this whole winter where weve had highs in the 2 to 4c category....so anything colder than that i will wait and see.... Had six days with snow on the surrounding hills and saw snow falling and laying in Mossley down the road in early december....
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Agree with you Ian

Early next week shows a lot of potential as mentioned earlier once Sunday rain clears out(perhaps with back edge snow)

and then the colder uppers spread in with Heavy Wintry Showers 

West is best comes to mind

C.S

• Like 1

Posted

Agree with you Ian Early next week shows a lot of potential as mentioned earlier once Sunday rain clears out(perhaps with back edge snow)and then the colder uppers spread in with Heavy Wintry Showers  West is best comes to mind C.S

Yes the potential is there for something special in our region over the next few days but whether it all comes together is still up for grabs.The mood in the Model thread is downbeat but that's probably more to with the likely location of any snow rather than the chances of it happening and TBH after the extended Autumn we've just had anything in the way of snowfall would make a pleasant change.
  • Like 3

Posted

Raining 4c atm

Thermometer's stuck on 5.9c here.Oh and it's raining as well.

Posted

Had six days with snow on the surrounding hills and saw snow falling and laying in Mossley down the road in early december....

Like how you think of Mossley as being down the road lol - 

This was a picture a took of Mossley from Hartshead Pike almost a year ago to date...nothing like this at present though.  Lots of green and muddy brown....

Posted Image

Posted

Like how you think of Mossley as being down the road lol -

This was a picture a took of Mossley from Hartshead Pike almost a year ago to date...nothing like this at present though. Lots of green and muddy brown....

Posted Image

Hehe well its not too far.... Neithers ashton or stalyvegas....15minutes by car if mottrams not rammed....and ive not signed the petition either :)

Lovely snowy pic.....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted

oh freckin hell another storm on Sunday..wheres my fekin snow

Posted

Hoping the peaks get some snow tomorrow and possibly weekend - would head up there with the dog ! Sunday is a worthy date.

Sunday might be a bit wet n blowy up here....maybe in the afternoon it might be sleeting snowing but will be being blown sideways....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Never been so disinterested in the weather at winter, absolute genk.

• Like 1

Posted

3.6c......another frost free night and still waiting for the first sub 0c of 2014.

Very rare I'd immagine.

Anyway the chances of something colder and potentially a little snow still there for the next few days but I still think that snow away from high ground, higher than myself will be limited.

Hopefully upgrades will appear but at the moment it looks like a few wintry showers at best and any snow on Sunday further NE.

Sorry but my glass is still half empty.