Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Its the sixth time since ive been here that the hills have been covered in snow, but still to see anything but sleet here, having said that ive only just got up so it could have snowed here but sun is now coming out so hopefully sunny....i think im getting accustomed to the weather up here as its 3c but not feeling that cold....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Brightened up nicely now so maybe a chance to get out and do some walking this afternoon.

It's certainly the best day IMBY of 2014.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Its the sixth time since ive been here that the hills have been covered in snow, but still to see anything but sleet here, having said that ive only just got up so it could have snowed here but sun is now coming out so hopefully sunny....i think im getting accustomed to the weather up here as its 3c but not feeling that cold....

At your / our altitude in the southern Pennines, 3 or 4c is about the normal day temperature in a bog standard winter but so far this has been far from a bog standard winter with no lying snow outside my house since mid November.

Posted

At your / our altitude in the southern Pennines, 3 or 4c is about the normal day temperature in a bog standard winter but so far this has been far from a bog standard winter with no lying snow outside my house since mid November.

Thats what ive found.... Its usually 2-4c colder up here than manchester.... Have had numerous days where its been 2-4c whilst its 6-8c in manchester..... Had some hard frosts up here too inbetween the rainy days.....

Posted

Thats what ive found.... Its usually 2-4c colder up here than manchester.... Have had numerous days where its been 2-4c whilst its 6-8c in manchester..... Had some hard frosts up here too inbetween the rainy days.....

I think the main difference between Glossop and where I live in Bacup is that you are surrounded by higher tops than we are.The hills to your NE, E and SE all rise to almost 2000ft which, in all but the mildest winter set ups would pretty well guarantee snow on the summits whereas our high points are only around 1400 - 1550 ft so are often on the wrong side of marginal.Today is an example of that with what whiteness we had earlier now having disappeared.That said though, I can not remember a completely snow free winter in the town, although as this winter has proved so far, some have come to close for comfort.There aren't many advantages to living in the highest town in Lancashire but for a snow lover, this is one.
  • Like 1

Posted

Snake pass was closed earlier due to ice and snow according to radio.... Queues at ladybower for some reason also 3c outside but looking pretty in the sun....

Snow on the hills here.....snake pass looks snowy.....hills above 350-400m are bright white.... Lovely.... No snow here just wet ground....

Here is the Kinder Scout web cam in Hayfield just down the road from Glossop - http://www.kinderweather.co.uk/

Snow looks to be up above 450m now.

Earlier it was snowing at Cat and Fiddle but nothing on the ground down there.

Posted

Just come back from looking at the progress, or lack of with a wind farm development up the hill from home.

The installation of the first turbine began in mid November and after weeks of poor weather the blades still aren't fitted.

It'd certainly be a bit ironic if strong winds were to blame though and I wouldn't like to be paying the hire charges on the mother of all cranes sat up there doing nothing.

post-9027-0-82141800-1389453755_thumb.jp

Posted

Indirectly we are all paying!

True but I don't think they'd let me have a rebate on my investment or let me borrow it while it's doing nowt up there.

Just come back from looking at the progress, or lack of with a wind farm development up the hill from home.The installation of the first turbine began in mid November and after weeks of poor weather the blades still aren't fitted.It'd certainly be a bit ironic if strong winds were to blame though and I wouldn't like to be paying the hire charges on the mother of all cranes sat up there doing nothing.

proberbly about 1k per day for each crawler crane !!!...

Posted

proberbly about 1k per day for each crawler crane !!!...

I think they're both road cranes, Ainscough I believe and the smaller one did disappear offsite for Christmas as I got stuck behind it in the car but Big Bertha is been there throughout.Never mind they've only another four to erect after this one so at this rate should be finished by summer.

Posted

Latest gfs, if to be believed, has snow on peninnes thursday night/ early friday....

By then the "southerly correction" will have occurred and we'll be sat in a mild sector while the Midlands pinches all of our snow.Ok maybe not but a long way to go yet.If it's still showing by middle of next week then time to start raising eyebrows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

5c here feels colder. Sausages on, heating on a tad higher, subtle lighting, and my wine is open too

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at various forecasts incl met office....wednesday lookslike it 'could' snow up here..... Not holding my breath but as always interesting.....esp as last nights forecast didnt particularly call for any snow....yet cars were stuck in the snow between ladybower and here.... I know its upto 600m up there but even so....

Posted

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=4;ct=12412~Glossop;sess=

Netweathers own forecast has snow here for tuesday now too....im guessing its based on gfs and if it came off it would be due to evap cooling....

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Oh oh got a 14% chance on the 18th lol

post-16288-0-37081100-1389467970_thumb.j

• Like 1