Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

im very new to all of this but all this talk of snow next week is this mainly for the south east? any help would be appreciated but from what i can gather in the models thread everyones talking about the easterlies.I thought we never done well from easterlies? Why are people here confident? I now that may sound daft but im just curious.what am i missing exactly? Id appreciate any help

It all depends on the strength of the easterly on offer.A slack feed will usually not be sufficient to push showers far inland and certainly not across the Pennines unless there are troughs within it.However if it strong enough the showers would have no problem reaching the Pennines and into our region.That said though, the lions share would always be reserved for more eastern areas of the country and in that set up, our holy grail would be from battleground situations as the Atlantic tries to make inroads and stalls over us as it hits the cold air over the country.Unlikely scenario but many of our biggest falls have come from this set up.To be honest I'd take 10% of the rain we've had since Christmas to fall as snow in a week long winter spell.Even that would be a major change from where we are currently at.
  • Like 1

It all depends on the strength of the easterly on offer.A slack feed will usually not be sufficient to push showers far inland and certainly not across the Pennines unless there are troughs within it.However if it strong enough the showers would have no problem reaching the Pennines and into our region.That said though, the lions share would always be reserved for more eastern areas of the country and in that set up, our holy grail would be from battleground situations as the Atlantic tries to make inroads and stalls over us as it hits the cold air over the country.Unlikely scenario but many of our biggest falls have come from this set up.To be honest I'd take 10% of the rain we've had since Christmas to fall as snow in a week long winter spell.Even that would be a major change from where we are currently at.

thanks for the reply mate.So we hope for the atlantic wether to try and make inroads and as that hits the cold air around our region it falls as snow right? Or is that too simple? :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

thanks for the reply mate.So we hope for the atlantic wether to try and make inroads and as that hits the cold air around our region it falls as snow right? Or is that too simple? :)

In our region it's never that simple and if there is a reason for us to miss out then we will usually find it but we can only work with what is put in front of us and hope for the best.I not getting over excited as yet as I've got a drawer full of last minute let downs but anything, even remotely like winter is a bonus compared to what we have so far.

Posted

biggest snow falls recently for me have come from that direction so im excited for it! if it comes from the west we have the shadow effect of the pennines so miss out completely! 

• Like 1

Posted

biggest snow falls recently for me have come from that direction so im excited for it! if it comes from the west we have the shadow effect of the pennines so miss out completely!

If so you are welcome up in the hills above.... Know a few nice pubs too... Hoping for a bit of sne sometime soon....ps didnt think ashton was that high up.... Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Interesting.....supossedly its 9c at manchester airport...it was 6c at denton coming back in car, 4c here now...2c just north of here.....could, as gfs have north of here, evap cooling come into play tonight?

Its hammering it down outside atm....

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Interesting.....supossedly its 9c at manchester airport...it was 6c at denton coming back in car, 4c here now...2c just north of here.....could, as gfs have north of here, evap cooling come into play tonight?Its hammering it down outside atm....

Coming to Glossop maybe this weekend or next for a walk with the Dog.. Anywhere recommended?

Posted

Coming to Glossop maybe this weekend or next for a walk with the Dog.. Anywhere recommended?

Longdendale trail good for dog walking.... Beehive, bulls head, and there a nice wine/ beer bar thats opened near the globe pub.... This weekends looking like its cooler but sunny so mite be out on my bike round ladybower....This might be useful also.....http://www.walkinginderbyshire.co.uk/glossop.php Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted

Longdendale trail good for dog walking.... Beehive, bulls head, and there a nice wine/ beer bar thats opened near the globe pub.... This weekends looking like its cooler but sunny so mite be out on my bike round ladybower....This might be useful also.....http://www.walkinginderbyshire.co.uk/glossop.php

Thanks for that, that Longdendale trail looks really nice - might be a bit wintry this/next weekend you never know !!

Has it snowed up there at all, all winter yet?

Posted

Thanks for that, that Longdendale trail looks really nice - might be a bit wintry this/next weekend you never know !! Has it snowed up there at all, all winter yet?

The hills around here have been white with snow about four or five times this winter and ladybower on boxing day was foggy and frosty but wintry and festive..... There was snow on the snake pass and it was pretty icy.... A car had slid off the road into the marsh oooppsss....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Things going along nicely for next week at the moment

Temps falling and PPN becoming more wintry as the week goes on

C.S

Posted

The hills around here have been white with snow about four or five times this winter and ladybower on boxing day was foggy and frosty but wintry and festive..... There was snow on the snake pass and it was pretty icy.... A car had slid off the road into the marsh oooppsss....

Ohh thats nasty. I know how dangerous it can be up there.

What's it like in Glossop/Peaks - any snow or just all dry?

Still looking at that Longdendale trail - Thats the one that goes right round that resouviour isn't it ? Looks really nice & scenic, perfect for me and the Dog.

• Like 1

Posted

Ohh thats nasty. I know how dangerous it can be up there. What's it like in Glossop/Peaks - any snow or just all dry? Still looking at that Longdendale trail - Thats the one that goes right round that resouviour isn't it ? Looks really nice & scenic, perfect for me and the Dog.

Anything wintry has been sleet or hail.....weve had everything turn white with hail and frost....quite a few days weve had hard frosts and days with temps maxing out at 2-3c, inbetween the rain of course....my neighbours keep saying to me the snow will come...saying about last march and the drifting across our road....the people we bought the house off left a stockpileof wood for the burner and sleds in the garage....
  • Like 2

Posted

Yep, back tracking charts, Met Office latest update is a right kick in the betty swollocks.

Can they be wrong? Who knows... Another phantom Easterley? Usually suck for our area anyways.

Greeny high, N or NW winds = yummy.

• Like 3

Posted

If so you are welcome up in the hills above.... Know a few nice pubs too... Hoping for a bit of sne sometime soon....ps didnt think ashton was that high up....

i live up the hill a bit near the hospital.  around 140m above sea level.  old saying is when im at my girlfriends parents house (droyslden) and it starts snowing it will be sticking here,  much like if it starts snowing here it will be sticking in glossop Posted Image

Edited by bridgechad
  • Like 2

Posted

Heaviest downpours we've had all winter here.  Looks so innocuous on the radar but it's had our name on it today, both in at work in Manchester and on the drive home back to Oldham.  Wet, wet, wet.... some flooding on the Mcr motorways.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Looks like the 12z want us bring mild and very wet weather back. Just sick of it. It won't help either and only bring more misery to the country.

SCREW YOU ATLANTIC AND GO BACK TO HIBERNATION!! Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the 12z want us bring mild and very wet weather back. Just sick of it. It won't help either and only bring more misery to the country.

SCREW YOU ATLANTIC AND GO BACK TO HIBERNATION!! Posted ImagePosted Image

Yep, models quite poor today... But, looking at the Pertubations and the Ens, I don't think we are quite done here...

I'm expecting something completely different tomorrow, if not tonight from the ECM and 18Z GFS....

Lets see....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Lets hope it be the case.