Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi all

Rain & sleety and now SNOW Posted Image temp was 2.3 and now dropped to 1.6 in the past 20 mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just noticed the traffic cam for Ballinluig is showing quite a bit of snow on the road. That is under 100 meters asl so some hopes for lower ground at least in parts.

• Like 1

Posted

Just turned to snow here finally Posted Image Temp has been 2.3c with a dewpoint of -2c all morning but it has only just turned to snow! 100% rain for much of the morning.

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Stopped raining here now. No wind either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Just hope it snows later today.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Hi BUS I think a cold spring is almost a given as forage stocks on livestock farms although of high quality are low after  no  growth in April and May and a very hot,dry short growing season last  spring/ summer. We have also had two very late springs in a row now a new pattern perhaps and with the seas round us still cooling and may get cooler still if this cold weather arrives from both west and east then our traditional springtime north and east winds will pack an additional punch.

Currently 3.2c very windy and a little rain falling. Snow on the traffic cams at Drummochter and the Slochd however on the A9

hopefully we will get a good summer growing this year and an extended winter doesn't go on for your sake maybe we will get a belting snowy February and it will turn milder for you through march but how things are looking that might be a bit of a push.

I assume your 312m point is Glen Ogle Posted Image

Check Traffic Scotland webcam - tried to paste image but it wouldn't let me!

A good shout and nice wee carpark on the right at the top of the hill.

Another good shout closer to home is Sherrifmuir - road can get interesting but goes pretty high, better to climb from Dunblane centre than Bridge of Allan if surface is snowy. Head up to Sherrifmuir Inn then left and up to a wee copse of trees on Right. If you walk East from there 200m you get to a wee stream gully which catches some good drifts. Also an option for your route home if you haven't found any snow by then, climb from Blackford or Greenloaning.

I assume your 312m point is Glen Ogle Posted Image

Check Traffic Scotland webcam - tried to paste image but it wouldn't let me!

A good shout and nice wee carpark on the right at the top of the hill.

Another good shout closer to home is Sherrifmuir - road can get interesting but goes pretty high, better to climb from Dunblane centre than Bridge of Allan if surface is snowy. Head up to Sherrifmuir Inn then left and up to a wee copse of trees on Right. If you walk East from there 200m you get to a wee stream gully which catches some good drifts. Also an option for your route home if you haven't found any snow by then, climb from Blackford or Greenloaning.

cheers for the advice i'll take a note and see what I can find

leaving now the bit I have picked looks pink on Lorenzo's radar image so hopefully there will be some snow and will get some good pics to post when I get back and hopefully the 12z's will usher in snowmaggeden while I am away and this place will be jumping when I get in.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Good luck BUS !

Sleet falling here now, wind has a more bitter edge to it too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

What a dreich morning. Started to rain at 07.00 and up to 11.25 there has been 16.3mm and still pouring down.

Some ice mixed in at times with a minimum of +0.9C at 04.57 and currently +2.2C/+1.3C.

• Like 2

Posted

Clearing up now but that was a wild ride. Everything but the kitchen sink thrown in

• Like 2

Posted

The sun is out!! First for ages.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Incidentally, sleety rain at 3.9/2.4C, snow line on the hill down to around 250m and dropping.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Temp now back up to 3.8/3.6C and 14.5mm of rain/sleet/snow this morning. Back from a trip to Tesco and on way there it was very heavy wet snow falling. Snow level on hills to our west is around 150-200mm at a guestimate from what little I could see through the clouds and rain. Easing off now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Weather just keeps getting wilder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25902371 About 5 miles from my weekly digs doon South.

My aunt lives in Chobham.  They've had a huge oak tree come down but luckily it fell away from their house rather than on their bedroom!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Skew-t from the free netweather just goes out to +84 but even by Wednesday evening we're starting to see a good profile for showers (and with DPs progged at just below 0C even for some arbitrary point in East Lothian):

Posted Image

Not a layer I'm used to working with but the 700hpa temperature is quite important in moving the right hand temperature line further left (i.e. increasing the instability of the airmass) to increase our chances of some decent shower activity. On this chart it's around -12X, but by early Thursday -15Cs are expected to brush pretty close to the coast, so some heftier showers overnight are possible:

Posted Image

Anyway, a bit far out yet but encouraging signs all the same.

6Z EURO4 is out, still -10C uppers for Shetland Monday evening:

Posted Image

Some promising short term signs too, a heavier line of showers showing up from Lanarksire to the Lothians and falling as snow with intensity by early evening:

Posted Image

Bit of an upgrade for tomorrow morning too as colder air remains in place for a bit longer:

Posted Image

By the end of the run you can see the colder air starting to encroach from the north, very snowy for inland Aberdeenshire and the Northern Highlands:

Posted Image

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Temp now back up to 3.8/3.6C and 14.5mm of rain/sleet/snow this morning. Back from a trip to Tesco and on way there it was very heavy wet snow falling. Snow level on hills to our west is around 150-200mm at a guestimate from what little I could see through the clouds and rain. Easing off now.

Concur Ravelin temperature here 3.7C/3.0C and 17.8mm precipitation since 07.00 this morning. Brief sunny interval but clouded over again.

• Like 1