Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I cannot, for the life of me, get a fix on this! There is so much differing opinions/ model confusion on the MOD that I am going to wait until some of our more informed members appear on here. Much too complex for me to decipher that's for sure. Lorenzo's post seemed positive though so that, I think, is a good enough excuse to get stocked up on the sugars!Posted Image

Haven't looked at the MOD since last night but its always a confusing picture in there as there's always a huge IMBY bias to most of the posts, in addition to the cold and mild biases some poster exhibit. Just got to try to filter all that out and get the general trend, which does seem to be colder at least. I'm not getting too excited as looking at the online forecasts for here its just looking too marginal. Temps of 3-4c are unlikely to see me burried and there's very few snow symbols on any current forecast. I live in hope though, as always.
  • Like 3

Posted

Im in the North Sea until Thursday.  The weather has been bad for most of this trip.  Constant gales and plenty of rain.  Hope the snow stays off until after Thursday ( the helicopters don't fly in snow/ low temps).  After that I hope the snow starts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

There will be some continuing consternation after each model run, that's for certain, this is where we are lucky to get the Meto input from fergieweather, even if he is a touch sensitive / defensive at times.

Still caveats galore, given that we have seen around 3 easterlies evaporate this season, FI and nailded won't be until 60-72 hrs I reckon, the only definitive trend is that of much colder options on the table than anything seen so far this season. Whether that is from the NW or via a subsequent Easterly feed.

Best model output watching of this Winter though as we approach February.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Scots Italian sings Burns.That's what modern Scotland is aw a boot.Fantastic.

Edited by November13

Posted

Just to add, check the strat thread for the latest GFS run...

Maybe more fun and games in February than anticipated less than five minutes ago !!!

:)

• Like 6

Posted

Real November like day here dark wet and dreich.Temperature started off at 5c this morning and fell with with the rain to 2c currently. A break in the clouds to the west now appearing.

• Like 1

Posted

Jus down the road and cold rain here Posted Image

Looking like anything can happen anywhere on the Euro4 06z. A real radar watch...

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=euro4&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=200912201800&VAR=prty&HH=24&LOOP=1&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=

Posted

And back to sleet. Temp down to 3c and dew 0c from 6/3 an hour ago. Looking forward to this week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Real November like day here dark wet and dreich.Temperature started off at 5c this morning and fell with with the rain to 2c currently. A break in the clouds to the west now appearing.

Clearing steadily from the west now, much better than the early mush.  Your cow and cat photos were excellent.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Didn't really expect that News 24 forecast at noon. Looking at tomorrow's storm, it looks quite wintry for Scotland? I wonder?  Obviously moreso higher up and further north but even down to lower levels later? Shows you how confused I am that I am going to BBC for some clarity!Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Clearing steadily from the west now, much better than the early mush.  Your cow and cat photos were excellent.

I read that too fast....I thought you said your cow  ' Pat ' photos were excellent!Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

the proverbial dogs dog biscuits (<this, this is the best autocorrect of a sweary word on netweather of all time, just utter genius, even better than the christmas pudding - actually no, the one for the Era of Modernity is still the best)  

Go on - tell us what the Era of Modernity one was? 

Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 1

Posted

Sleeting in Suburban Sth Embra the now. Closest I've seen to snaw in many, many months...

Same here with some big flakes now and again Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

this is how it stands on my local weather station from twitter

13:00 25/01 T= 5.0c (H8.9c/L4.9c) W=18.0mph WSW RainLastHr=0.0mm P=997.16mb Falling ,12-24HrsTime= Precipitation, very unsettled

that high was last night that's a summer night lol

here is the snow accumulation till 6am Monday from the EURO4

post-18233-0-17768100-1390655296_thumb.p

nevis range closed for the day due to high wind but I wonder how long till they poles are buried

post-18233-0-59138600-1390655436_thumb.j

who's taking bets on there being snow left up there all through summer and on into next winter?

peak wind gusts aren't bad just now but you can see the higher winds incoming from the west

post-18233-0-82458000-1390655575_thumb.j

next low incoming with a strong jet in tow but jet nicely aligned to take that low under the block

post-18233-0-81778900-1390655737_thumb.j

some interesting model runs from the 0z runs and hopefully UKMO is the form horse as it looks best for us although yesterdays JMA 12z was better in the medium term but an interesting set of 12z's coming up and hopefully they give us what we want.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Same here with some big flakes now and again Posted Image

Sleety here now.

T has dropped from 7 to 4 C in the past few hours.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Temp dropped from 6.4 to 2.6 here and we had snow but its stopped

• Like 2

Posted

Temp drop here was similar from 7.4 right down to 2.1 in the space of a couple of hours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Hoi Blitzy get a grip!! Using the BBC!!!! Uve taken that too far

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

We've been doing the Big Garden Birdwatch - hardly any birds !

Rain clouds are gathering fast in this strengthening wind, will see what we get probably rain!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Hoi Blitzy get a grip!! Using the BBC!!!! Uve taken that too far

nothing wrong with the BBC forecast the latest one has quoted snow down to 200-300m tomorrow so we might even see some low level snow on the leading edge.

I've got my snow hunting plans for tomorrow I think I am going to take LS's advice and head up toward Gleneagles then if no luck there shoot right through to Crieff and if still no luck either up to loch earn and on west from there or north through the hills toward Aberfeldy hopefully will manage to find something in all that will wait for LS to tell me if that still sounds good or not.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! Do I sense just the teensiest bit o' excitement on this thread? Is the white Stuff actually gonnae put in an appearance? Been hellish up here today, but defo much, much colder than yesterday. Temp down by 5 degrees on this time yesterday. And a bit o' a hoolie coming in tomorrow as well. Ach, I'm away oot tae check my haggis traps, see if we'll be daein' the Scottish thing fur tea the nicht. Havin' a dilemma as to which dram I should take along wi' the beast, but I think the Dalwhinnie is calling to me.

Hope you all get to see some White Stuff soon guys!

• Like 1