Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Travelling through to Glasgow. Light slushy cover of snow at cumbernauld and some snow on the campsies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yep, been a frustating old week on the models, always the way when eye candy beasterly charts turn up. Bitter disappointment vs Bitter Cold and Snow.

Still plenty of Winter left to go and you get the feeling the corner has turned from the Atlantic driven first half. Beauty of a day, bloody cold outside, missed any snow showers this morning but a proper hard frost in place.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Certainly is a lovely day here too, although on the chilly side at 2.3c/2c. Car had a fine coating of frost this morning but has now achieved a thick coating! It is sitting where there is no sun though. Ah well, nothing else for it but onwards and upwards eh? Hopefully we will have another chase sooner than expected.Posted Image

post-1989-0-40950500-1389449375.txt

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

ah well today is another bit of a horror show from the models at least we are getting second prize though with some good cold wintry type weather and some snow showers for higher ground its really a big step forward from where we have been and for that at least we should be happy we aren't having to put up with all the wind and rain and we can get around easily and do what we need and like said before it does feel seasonal.

if the models don't flip to our favour then all is not lost I think we may have another shot at Greenland in around 2 weeks give or take a few days.

looks like we will all see a frost tonight away from coastal fringes

post-18233-0-52578900-1389449473_thumb.j

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

950s flirting with the idea of battleground snowfall tomorrow afternoon, probably a combination of the time of day and above freezing 850s will do for us:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Temperatures forecast to rise above 2C just before the precipitation hits which won't help us:

Posted Image

The uppers are pretty dire for it which means cold or even freezing rain where DPs remain below 0C around the central belt:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Models still flirting with the undercut but not quite delivering. You can see the slight improvements from yesterday at very close range between the 6Z today and yesterday's 12Z GFS:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Higher heights ridging northwards and a more negatively tilted low gives us a better shot of getting the cold in. This is what we were looking at for that timeframe 3 days ago:

Posted Image

The trough properly disrupting southeastwards with much better ridging north. We're not going to get back to that sadly, but we can get a bit closer to it and maybe force the second trough to go under properly if the first one can just get enough low heights southeastwards into Europe. The longwave pattern is basically fine, we just need the smaller scale features to work out to advect some of that cold air westwards.

• Like 3

Posted

NASA 0z giving us hints again of something better 

post-18233-0-31314900-1389453430_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny winter's day after some snow showers overnight. During the past week or see there was an encouraging trend in the models towards a possible easterly flow but it was always a fragile set-up - the past 36hrs has exhibited that. Although we'll  all want a big dumping of snow to make up for the weather in the past 6 weeks, any seasonal weather that resembles winter will do for now. February should at least offer some seasonal weather but I think there might be a cold/wintry theme throughout the month.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Heavy sleety snow for the last while; nw hgihalnsd will be gettinfg s pasting this afternoon...

Charnel house here.  Slorter & t' puppies...

Later, edit, apologies for the typos but fingers were covered with blood & kept sliding off the keys... (only joling, nadly_

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! Had plenty of snizzly stuff today, temp now down to 2.5. I doubt very much that I'll see much in the way of the white stuff up our way, so just  need to make the best of what we do get. For those of you who do get any snow....enjoy!

Posted

Beautiful cold but sunny day. Cumulonimbus clouds rolled along the horizon but dry here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Continuing the theme of the day it has also been a bright cold winters day here too, but thankfully no snow. I only say that though because I was up at Portsoy with the eldest's football team and 3C with a brisk westerly wind was enough to endure for 2hrs standing around on the sidelines. I took the dog to Sandend Bay along the coast a couple of miles before the match and it was glorious, as long as you were well wrapped up. Hats off though to the surfers, I counted at least 8, who were being brave/mad enough to be bobbing around out in the bay trying to catch some decent sized waves at times. Photos to come when I get the time (tomorrow or Monday).

• Like 1

Posted

Another cold evening at 0c

On a totally non scientific basis I thought I would make a prediction for the rest of this winter. Stories of an impending shortage of fodder are beginning to circulate in the farming community as a result of the loss of 2 months of spring growth last spring. We ourselves will probably have completely empty sheds by April.

Therefore the worst scenario for livestock farmers would be another late spring and I feel that is what we will get because of the statement above.

On a scientific basis the North Atlantic must be cooling now and this always has the effect of not modifying the cold air we get in late winter and spring again leading to my thoughts that spring will again be wintry and late which is not unusual in our area.

I therfore think the chances of snow before the end of mid spring are very high.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just spotted this mad video... Enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EyfEDKWscg

I for one would love to know how that one ended up! Pretty obvious I thought,  how the weight behind all of that was bound to push its way through. Wonder if those houses are still standing? The lady in the video seemed quite comfortable in her t-shirt though!Posted Image  Brrr.  Absolutely fascinating.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

And the model suspense continues......

Think i'll head off to bed and see what turns up in the charts tomorrow.

Night all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

A sparkling winter's day with the frost remaining in the shade. Maximum 5.4C currently -0.3C (-0.7C/hr).

Another lost week of winter upcoming which is really devastating to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted

A sparkling winter's day with the frost remaining in the shade. Maximum 5.4C currently -0.3C (-0.7C/hr).

Another lost week of winter upcoming which is really devastating to be honest.

I've been looking at this GWO and I think the pattern we are seeing in the GFS might just be the pattern we are going to see moving forward and our next snow chances is going to be with the PV transfer to our north from west to east then another shot at Greenland after that but will be a better go than this time round.

then again I might be reading it wrong but it would fit in quite well with what is showing on the GFS.

but of course we all hope the models are tragically wrong and we hit the jackpot but that's still well up in the air just now.

NASA 12z giving us another little tease tonight

post-18233-0-10703100-1389484480_thumb.ppost-18233-0-76325400-1389484480_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

A sparkling winter's day with the frost remaining in the shade. Maximum 5.4C currently -0.3C (-0.7C/hr). Another lost week of winter upcoming which is really devastating to be honest.

HS keep calm and gaze at stars ....one day the snow will come
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

HS keep calm and gaze at stars ....one day the snow will come

EDO you should write lyrics for that - you might just have a Hit there!

• Like 2

Posted

Minimum was -2.7C at 03:06. Now 100% cloud cover, the cloud having rolled in after 06:00. Currently -1.8C.

Posted

Morning all,

Coldest night of the winter so far for a few locations: -3.3c at Leuchars. And finally both Glasgow Bishopton and Edinburgh Gogarbank record an air frost, 43 days into meteorological winter! http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/amextremes.html

Clouding over now, +2.5c here in Crail, -1c at Leuchars.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Oh dear its all gone a bit dark in the Mod thread! 

Here in Perth its cold and white with frost and Im just pleased the sun has been about and there has been no rain! Posted Image

• Like 4