Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

2014 Sochi and 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics

The 2014 winter Olympics gets underway in Sochi, Russia, in just over 4 weeks time on Friday February 7th and ends on Sunday 23rd

The BBC will have 200 hours of coverage across it platforms including daily live coverage on BBC 2 and BBC 2 HD from 07:00 to 19:00 this will be followed by a highlights show from 19:00 to 20:00

The BBC's presenting team is

Clare Balding

Hazel Irvine

Jonathan Edwards

The BBC's Winter Olympic experts are

Amy Williams

Wilf O'Reilly

Robin Cousins

Graham Bell

Emma Carrick-Anderson

Jackie Lockhart

The BBC have not yet announced the commentators but the likes of Graham Bell, Ed Leigh, Matt Chilton and Amy Williams are a good bet amongst many more

Really looking forward to the live daytime action! My personal favourite events are Ice Hockey and Speed Skating.

Edited by Andy Bown

The BBC has confirmed the following coverage for the Winter Olympics on Virgin Media only*

• Over 200 hours of coverage from the event in Sochi, Russia, on BBC Two and BBC Two HD,
  • Over 650 hours of coverage on six HD streams via TiVo.
  • And the relaunch of BBC Red Button 2 (available to all Virgin Media viewers).

*Excludes the BBC 2 / 2 HD coverage which is available to all platforms

The events I always look forward too are the Skiing events

Edited by Summer Sun

Jenny Jones Wins First Sochi Medal For GB

Snowboarder Jenny Jones has won Britain's first medal at the Winter Olympics, taking a bronze in the slopestyle competition. The 30-year-old had to endure a nailbiting finish as others riders completed their runs, but she held on to a podium place. Jones, who learnt on a dry slope in Bristol, becomes the first Briton to take a medal on snow in a Winter Olympics. Fifth after her first run, Jones's error-free second run put her in gold medal position before she was pushed out by two other riders.

"I can't believe it," she told the BBC. "I did the best run I could have done for sure." Jones had a tearful meeting with her parents after winning the medal - they had flown in to Sochi to surprise her. Alain Baxter won a medal in 2002 but was stripped of the honour after a Vicks inhaler caused him to fail a drugs test.

http://news.sky.com/story/1208910/jenny-jones-wins-first-sochi-medal-for-gb

Well done Jenny Jones. Brilliant event and viewing. Britains first ever medal on snow and at the grand old age of 33. She learnt to snow board on a dry slope made with brush matting. Amazing, what can be achieved with a big heart and determination. Made my day.

Cpost-3489-0-66633000-1391945362_thumb.jp

Being Part Norwegian I can support them during these games and a good start yesterday with golds in the Biathlon via  legend Ole Einar Bjoerndalen and in the Cross Country Skier Marit Bjoergen.

A first medal for Team B as mentioned above via Jenny Jones in the Women's Slopestyle.

These Sochi Games are playing havoc with my sleep pattern. Currently 4:50am in the morning, and still awake watching, lol. I'm in a trimester break at the moment, so it's not really an issue though.

I don't think we (Australia) will do as well as we did in Vancouver (2 gold, 1 silver), even though we've sent our biggest Winter Olympic team ever of 60 athletes.

I'm thinking it might be more like we did at Torino in 2006 (1 gold, 1 bronze), or perhaps something like 2 silver, 1 bronze.

The AOC president (John Coates) is targetting three medals (of any type) in Sochi.

There was some crazy statistic given earlier tonight on TV, the Netherlands speed skating Olympic funding is five times more than the entire Australian Winter Olympic sports funding.

Edited by NorthNSW

Well Katie Summerhayes didn't win a medal in the slopestyle skiing but all the women deserve a medal for taking part. I was a bag of nerves just watching.

Winter Olympics: Dead heat in women's Alpine skiing downhill

The women's Alpine skiing downhill ended in a tie for gold with Switzerland's Dominique Gisin and Slovenia's Tina Maze clocking the same time down to the last hundredth of a second. Switzerland's Lara Gut took the bronze medal. Gisin first clocked 1min 41.57sec down the 2.7km-long course, but Maze matched her time 13 runners later. Gut was a further 0.10sec adrift in third, with no silver medal awarded in the race. It is the first time that Alpine skiers have shared gold at an Olympics. Maze led Gisin at each time split and speed check but then appeared to be slowed by softening snow on the final slope, as temperatures approached 50 degrees (10 C).

http://www1.skysports.com/winter-olympics/news/12040/9162485/winter-olympics-dead-heat-in-womens-alpine-skiing-downhill

Winter Olympics: Warm weather threat to Sochi snow

Warm weather and slushy snow in the Caucasus mountains are starting to cause problems for the organisers of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

The temperature in the Black Sea resort town is forecast to reach 18C (64F) over the next few days.

The BBC's sports editor David Bond spoke to Team GB head coach Pat Sharples about how the athletes are coping with the conditions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26139212

Brilliant performance from Lizzy. As Amy Williams has just said "winnin is all about trainin, coachin, workin and competin. You can only win at skelington if you're pushin and slidin at the limit.

Great play by the GB men curlers !

I really enjoyed watching that.

Gold or Silver for them.

Perhaps Bronze for the ladies curling team.

B.  :)

Great play by the GB men curlers !

I really enjoyed watching that.

Gold or Silver for them.

Perhaps Bronze for the ladies curling team.

B.  Posted Image

The men seemed to have more belief than the women, you could see that through the round robin stage too. I'm glad that I'm finishing work at 2pm tomorrow, it's going to be an afternoon of sweaty palms :good:

I think I am watching far to much Winter Olympics than is good for me. After a sticky patch in the middle , Norway back on top of the medal table, and the big question is whether they stay there.

As for Team GB. the curlers will continue to test my fingernails both tomorrow and Friday, and Elsie Christie deserves a bit of luck, and hopefully she can get a medal on Friday as well.

Oh Wow, so exciting, went to the last stone, but the GB ladies get

Bronze in the Curling.

Really enjoyed that.

Well done girls !

B. Posted Image

Well done to the Team GB women's curling team on winning Bronze after yesterday's disappointment that now makes this winter Olympics team GB's most successful since 1924 in Chamonix, France when team GB won 4 medals 1 x Gold, 1 x Silver and 2 x Bronze

Team GB's men's curling team go for gold tomorrow at at 13:30

Canada win Gold in the women's curling beating Sweden 6-3

Don't ...Canadians are a pain in the backside..still we did win the sliding down the hill on the tea tray..so that stuck it to them..come on men's curling tomorrow beat the Canuck's in the final..however main event here is Canada v USA in the men's and women's ice hockey

Sochi 2014: German athlete fails A sample drugs test

A German athlete at the Sochi Winter Olympics has failed the A sample of their drugs test. No other competitors are thought to have had such an outcome at the 2014 Games in Russia. The German has not yet been named by authorities. "The results of the B sample and the hearing before the IOC Disciplinary Commission are scheduled for this Friday," a German Olympic Sports Confederation statement read. "Thereafter, the chef de mission will report on the status of the process." Before the Games, Russian biathlete Irina Starykh, who was a medal hope for the hosts, withdrew after failing a drugs test. Germany have been the third most successful team in Russia, with eight gold medals, four silvers and four bronzes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26289156

Team GB down 5-1 after just 3 ends in the Curling final against Canada

6-2 down now at the break going to take a miracle now to win gold

Edited by Summer Sun

Team GB down 5-1 after just 3 ends in the Curling final against Canada 6-2 down now at the break going to take a miracle now to win gold

The GB men couldn't be playing any worse. Nothing has come off for them.