Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

I'm sure it will all be a different story again in 12 hours time :-)

Happy birthday John!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Morning regionaires.

Wet and windy still in Sussex - quelle surprise. I don't suppose many people are thinking about the current duff weather (excluding the Staines/Chertsey crew - good luck guys). Most eyes have turned to the possibilities for next week now and I'm still not into a comfort zone that makes me feel a little more inclined to ramp this - I shall take my cue from Mr Pike in the next couple of days.

An initial look at the first at hand source (GFS) would suggest the chances have receded considerably and there isn't even a sprinkling likely until a weeks time and that isn't in our patch:

Posted Image

That really is an about turn to this time yesterday from that particular model set and I'm not sure if it's on to something or not - I daren't go in the MOD thread to see the general feeling this morning, as I don't have any riot-squad body armour on.....

One thing that does look set is a period of colder conditions and again, this doesn't look to come to fruition on GFS until a weeks times, not as early as Tuesday as suggested yesterday:

Posted Image

That could be a shock to the system after the recent mild weather. Let me have a look at a couple of other sources for some more hints and trends.

A lot of people not in the mad thread have said the cold seemed to be modeled to early, they seem to think it is coming though. We'll see soon enough one way or the other.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh dear, I think I'll stay in here.

post-6667-0-89293900-1389255511_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Happy Birthday John Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all, and a very happy Birthday Mr P...

Wet n windy again in town, could birhgten up later....

I went in the mad thread and to be fair its not too bad considering the flip flopping. The usual seasoned posters are still up beat and offering a good analysis of the situation. I feel there is still lots to play for and tbh, a rest from the atlantic onslaught will be most welcomed.

As a lot of people have said, its the first bite of the cherry and there will be plenty more fun n games to be had.

• Like 1

Posted

As a lot of people have said, its the first bite of the cherry and there will be plenty more fun n games to be had.

Morning Lloyd, let's hope that cherry tastes good eventually:

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Rather windy out there this morning, gusts of 40-50mph across Kent and Sussex this morning. At least it's brightening up.

With regards to next week, I've mentioned on the Netweather Front Page 'The coldest air and thus highest risk of wintry weather, at the moment, looks to affect northern areas of Britain initially. But there is chance that the cold and wintry conditions will become more widespread further south too as we head towards next weekend, but less certainty on this.'

So some patience required for us SE'erners!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Good morning everyone.

It's wet and windy here, but fairly warm at 9.2. Skies are grey and looks very dull! Looks like a wet and muddy dog walk this morning.

May I add Happy Birthday to John for today. Hope you have an enjoyable one whatever you are doing, and thanks for all your hard work keeping us informed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I've just looked at the models - I've not been into the MAD thread yet, as I like to work out things for myself first generally, if I have time and then see if my thoughts correspond... To me the synoptics are still full of promise and I'm confident we won't be green through the rest of winter... :)

The trouble is, as usual, we are in the battleground zone, so it looks uncertain through next week (and beyond if you look at the GFS model) There is a great deal of potential though, so model watching is definitely interesting at the moment, although people shouldn't get too hung up on each run at the moment, imho. :)

Off to dip my toes in the MDT... :unsure:

• Like 6

Posted

I've just looked at the models - I've not been into the MAD thread yet, as I like to work out things for myself first generally, if I have time and then see if my thoughts correspond... To me the synoptics are still full of promise and I'm confident we won't be green through the rest of winter... :)The trouble is, as usual, we are in the battleground zone, so it looks uncertain through next week (and beyond if you look at the GFS model) There is a great deal of potential though, so model watching is definitely interesting at the moment, although people shouldn't get too hung up on each run at the moment, imho. :)Off to dip my toes in the MDT... :unsure:

I've been in to look and there's a two sides of the fence thing going on..some in the same camp as your post and others in the "The Atlantic will never stop!!" frame of mind. As per usual really!Here it is mild, damp, windy and very overcast this morning. Rinse and repeat then :rolleyes: Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 2

Posted

I've just looked at the models - I've not been into the MAD thread yet, as I like to work out things for myself first generally, if I have time and then see if my thoughts correspond... To me the synoptics are still full of promise and I'm confident we won't be green through the rest of winter... Posted Image

The trouble is, as usual, we are in the battleground zone, so it looks uncertain through next week (and beyond if you look at the GFS model) There is a great deal of potential though, so model watching is definitely interesting at the moment, although people shouldn't get too hung up on each run at the moment, imho. Posted Image

Off to dip my toes in the MDT... Posted Image

Oh mad thread suggesting we got cold spell coming now??.. or is it a case of everybody is posting a cold chart because thats what they want to see and the mild ones are posting breakdown charts because that what they want to see.. followed by that that one idiot who always likes to post high pressure charts only (suspect he hasnt been in there for quite awhile tho..) used to be a good place to see what was going to happen, but not now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

I always take a look in the Strat thread as well as the MAD thread as I find there's a much calmer, more considered approach and people only post if they really know what they're talking about! The news there seems to be fairly promising - even if we don't get lucky this time round, hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer before we get what most of us want (I'm not saying the word, as I'll jinx it!)

• Like 1

Posted

I've been in to look and there's a two sides of the fence thing going on..some in the same camp as your post and others in the "The Atlantic will never stop!!" frame of mind. As per usual really!

Here it is mild, damp, windy and very overcast this morning. Rinse and repeat then Posted Image

It does feel like the Atlantic will never stop lol. wet and windy again this morning, I am confident it will though, whether that brings us dry weather or snow I don't mind.

Happy birthday JP, and thank you for all your fax chart updates, learning slowly but still can't work them out properly myself.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Well, after another night of rain showers, it appears Barnehurst could take no more...  there has been a landslip at Barnehurst Station, which is the station I use to get too and from work.  Sadly, I have made it into work - which means a battle on my hands to get back home again Posted Image

As for the weather, it's quite breezy this morning, cloudy, with drizzle in the air.  Feels slightly colder than of late, but that could just be down to the wind tunnel that you get from London Bridge Station via walking past the Shard to work - made my eyes water this morning!

• Like 3

Posted

Morning Y'all.

Loving the output drama at the moment.

Classic jump on, jump off behavior from the models at present. Standard when a pattern change is trying to emerge. Especially with Easterlies.

My gut feel is it will get progressively colder later next week, with a shot at some of the white stuff. BUT, we will need another slider later in the month to bring in Winter proper.

In the mean time, expect the models to chop and change as they try and get a handle on the pattern. I think we will get our wish eventually, but think its another waiting game. Hopefully late Jan into Feb will deliver the goods....

Edited by Shrimper
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all and a very happy birthday to JP - I hope you have a great day John and a big thank you for all your hard work with the fax charts....I think we can forgive you if you take tonight off though :-)

Another wet night here but bright and dry this morning which is good as it's our day off, not that there is much planned apart from some grocery shopping, lunch out and picking up some DONS tickets for the match next week !

Have a good day folks :-)

• Like 5

Posted

Happy Birthday John.Time for drinkies later and some wobbly fax charts.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image .

Hopefully this will be on the menu for you tonight.

Wanting to see the aurora borealis from the UK tonight? Here's the forecast cloud for midnight.

Posted Image

The media is telling everyone a solar flare will cause the aurora borealis. A solar flare caused a coronal mass ejection and that is what will cause tonight's aurora borealis. I'm sorry but to my mind people reporting these thing should tell people the proper science. What is the point of reporting mistakes.

• Like 2

Posted

I always take a look in the Strat thread as well as the MAD thread as I find there's a much calmer, more considered approach and people only post if they really know what they're talking about! The news there seems to be fairly promising - even if we don't get lucky this time round, hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer before we get what most of us want (I'm not saying the word, as I'll jinx it!)

Yes, that's definitely the thread I'd describe as the intellectual thread. I suppose the problem with it being that once you've read all the background papers (and I certainly haven't, or come anywhere near close...) it is a thread I'll just dip into, to see whether there are signs of a SSW, or wave action and if not, I'll not worry about it for several days. The people who post there are pure students of meteorology, imho. I had a lot more enthusiasm for this sort of thing when I was younger, but I can't devote the time now (and if I'm honest, I don't think my intellectual powers are like they once were...)

The MDT certainly can't be well described as intellectual imho, although some people make high quality analytical posts there too, it has to be said. Posted Image The problem with the MDT is that people snipe at each other way too much and with the contradictory postings there, newbies can quickly become confused. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 5

Posted

The media is telling everyone a solar flare will cause the aurora borealis. A solar flare caused a coronal mass ejection and that is what will cause tonight's aurora borealis. I'm sorry but to my mind people reporting these thing should tell people the proper science. What is the point of reporting mistakes.

Is the CME definitely hitting tonight, do you know? If so I might go for a drive to some darkish spot, after midnight. Obviously the thought isn't at all appealing if the chances are very slim though. :unsure:

Posted

Have a great day John!

Calm here just overcast.

I am nervously watching the charts as those ones coast showed, had the snow coming down the east coast and it might might might reach here as we stick out into the east.Doesn't look like the rest of the region would see it though.

• Like 1

Posted

Met office split 50/50 on their 6-10 day discussion which includes GFS GM and all theirs, from midnight, so nothing to get too excited about yet IMHO ......

"Weight of evidence is quite finely balanced with almost a 50/50 split for some form of blocking, but only 10-15% suggesting a snow risk away from the NE at this stage"

As I'll be flying out of the country (hopefully lol) in 10 days time 'quite frankly my dear I don't give a dam' !!

• Like 3

Posted

Met office split 50/50 on their 6-10 day discussion which includes GFS GM and all theirs, from midnight, so nothing to get too excited about yet IMHO ......"Weight of evidence is quite finely balanced with almost a 50/50 split for some form of blocking, but only 10-15% suggesting a snow risk away from the NE at this stage"As I'll be flying out of the country (hopefully lol) in 10 days time 'quite frankly my dear I don't give a dam' !!

If you're off to the Canaries, go to Mount Teide. Almost bound to have snow. :winky:

Posted

If you're off to the Canaries, go to Mount Teide. Almost bound to have snow. :winky:

A different volcanic island this time - the only icy stuff I'm planning to see is in my cocktails ;-)
  • Like 1