Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Take a look at these pictures of before and after the storm!Posted Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25639777

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Sigh, amazing webcam of a blizzard in Buffalo, New York :(http://firstwebcam.com/live-webcams/buffalo-elmwood-avenue-panos-restaurant

The webcam jumps to a website after about 5 minutes, so if you want to continue watching, hit the back button and let it buffer again.  

• Like 1

Posted

Heads up for later in the SE, some confirmation of what we thought earlier:

Meanwhile, Transport for London said the Thames Barrier in east London has now been closed for the 11th successive tide to avert a risk of flooding to city's wealthy financial sector, focused on the riverside Docklands development. Earlier, the Environment Agency warned of a risk of flooding around the river's upper reaches between London and the southwest of England.

"Communities in Dorset, Oxfordshire, south Wiltshire, Hampshire and along the river Thames are being urged to remain prepared for more flooding today and the remainder of the week," it said in a statement. "More unsettled weather over the next few days will see rain falling on already saturated ground increasing the chance of flooding," the agency said. The Thames Barrier, opened in 1982, spans 520 metres across the river at Woolwich in east London. When raised, the 10 steel gates stand as high as a five-storey building. Each main gate weighs 3,300 tonnes. Tuesday's operation of the barrier for an 11th tide is approaching the record of 14 tides in a row in January 2003, agency staff said.

In additions to the agency's three severe flood warnings, lower grade flood warnings and flood alerts were in force for another 329 locations spread around all regions of England and Wales. The Met Office predicted heavy showers, sometimes prolonged, across London and South East England on Tuesday. On Tuesday evening heavy rain will spread north before finally clearing away, the national weather service said. Occasional heavy rain is possible in the southeast region on Wednesday, but some eastern areas may actually remain dry, it said.

Posted

Just had a call from the vets with the best possible results from Mazie's biopsy - the lump is just fatty tissue and nothing to worry about, such a relief !

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Great News Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My parent's dog has a few on him, same thing.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 3

Posted

Sigh, amazing webcam of a blizzard in Buffalo, New York Posted Image

http://firstwebcam.com/live-webcams/buffalo-elmwood-avenue-panos-restaurant

The webcam jumps to a website after about 5 minutes, so if you want to continue watching, hit the back button and let it buffer again. 

Great, I can get my snow fix from that:)

Edit: Just been watching it and seeing the cars driving in the snow reminds me of one of students from Sweden who drives happily on snow in Sweden but refuses to do so in the UK as we insist on driving on 'summer tyres' as she calls them! Really must get back to tomorrow's lecture prep....

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted

Great, I can get my snow fix from that:)

Edit: Just been watching it and seeing the cars driving in the snow reminds me of one of students from Sweden who drives happily on snow in Sweden but refuses to do so in the UK as we insist on driving on 'summer tyres' as she calls them! Really must get back to tomorrow's lecture prep....

Yeah in many countries it's law to change to winter tyres in the autumn and back again in the spring.

• Like 1

Posted

Still looking quite serious again in places:

David Bedlington, regional flood risk manager for the Environment Agency, said: “The Environment Agency’s incident rooms remain open, and our staff are working hard to provide up-to-the-minute information for the public, local authorities and emergency services. "We have ambassadors out across the South in areas such as Oxford, Abingdon, Guildford and in the Lambourn Valley advising people of what they can do to reduce the impacts of flooding.

“We continue to encourage the public in affected areas to remain vigilant, and to keep a close eye on media reports and weather forecasts. It is important to take extra care in deep or flowing water; do not take risks if you are unsure of the depth of the water or of any hidden hazards.†Although road conditions are improving, motorists are urged to stay alert to potential dangers and drive responsibly. People should check the Environment Agency website or follow @EnvAgencySE and #floodaware on Twitter for the latest flood outlook in the south, and sign up to receive free flood warnings, taking action when they receive them

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/10919228.Environment_Agency_issues_fresh_warning_ahead_of_further_downpours/

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oxford getting bad along the Abingdon Road and also Botley Road ( 2 main routes out the city!) not good news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25638919 & http://youtu.be/aGffrZ5mTcs

Luckily I live on higher ground East of the City, very sad for those less lucky!

post-15543-0-72089100-1389113479_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Just had a call from the vets with the best possible results from Mazie's biopsy - the lump is just fatty tissue and nothing to worry about, such a relief !

Posted Imageimage.jpg

That is great news Ali - such a reliefPosted Image

The rain shield held up well today over Hastings and escaped here with just a brief sharpish shower around lunchtime but earlier on torrential downpours were driven through at various points of the spectrum along the length of the A21 all the way up to Bromley and Croydon around late morning towards midday. Plenty of surface flooding around Addington and once more on the way home between Tonbridge and Hurst Green. It was akin to sitting in the jet spray of a car wash!!

Currently in the process of getting into a savoury homemade Cottage Pie mood for dinner a little later Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 3

Posted

Obviously the flooding in St Albans isn't really on a big scale at all, but Verulamium Lake/Park has flooded for the first time in at least 10 years, which demonstrates just how much it has rained! (Local people will know where the pictures are from) http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/verulamium_park_flooded_1_3181730?id=8&storyId=1.3181710.1389101850

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Shows how mild it has been this winter. Whilst working in one of my clients gardens today I noticed their Forsythia was starting to flower(about 4-6 weeks ahead of normal!!).In fact last year my forsythia didn't come out till early April!!.If we do get a cold spell some shrubs could be in for quite a shock!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

The rain shield held up well today over Hastings and escaped here with just a brief sharpish shower around lunchtime

I was in Hastings earlier and the rain was torrential for around 15-20minutes and was fairly heavy for around 40

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Evening, well the morning was rather wild here, frequent torrential downpours, with the biggest being like a literal monsoon with hail to boot. My workplace had it's own moat and for a while a lot of the area was white. Quite a day.

• Like 1

Posted

Obviously the flooding in St Albans isn't really on a big scale at all, but Verulamium Lake/Park has flooded for the first time in at least 10 years, which demonstrates just how much it has rained! (Local people will know where the pictures are from) http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/verulamium_park_flooded_1_3181730?id=8&storyId=1.3181710.1389101850

Blimey!  Never seen it like that before myself.

As long a Ye Ole Fighting Cocks stays dry all will be well (which it should)

Edited by Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I was in Hastings earlier and the rain was torrential for around 15-20minutes and was fairly heavy for around 40

Its obviously a small world then from one end of the town to anotherPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Shows how mild it has been this winter. Whilst working in one of my clients gardens today I noticed their Forsythia was starting to flower(about 4-6 weeks ahead of normal!!).In fact last year my forsythia didn't come out till early April!!.If we do get a cold spell some shrubs could be in for quite a shock!!

Plants and animals alike, I lost a few shrubs last winter and found a few dead insects that popped out in a brief mild spell and were all killed when the cold returned last spring.

Posted

Personally think tonight's rainfall is much further north than any model is showing... Sat24 shows the rain slamming the whole south east

Radar watching shows the rain continually coming into the range of the radar with no end in the last hour or so. Heavy and widespread. So assuming it's going to continue North East, yeah the whole South East gets hit. I would have said a line from Southampton to Norwich but now there's a rather bright (heavy) strip of precip coming in just North West of the main rainfall too.

post-10957-0-63185500-1389116502_thumb.p

Edited by SteveCoops
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

No idea where your office is? But has anybody actually seen the levels at Staines? They are approaching the higest ever point.. http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=7213&RegionId=9&AreaId=20&CatchmentId=114

sunbury upon Thames

Radar watching shows the rain continually coming into the range of the radar with no end in the last hour or so. Heavy and widespread. So assuming it's going to continue North East, yeah the whole South East gets hit. I would have said a line from Southampton to Norwich but now there's a rather bright (heavy) strip of precip coming in just North of the main rainfall too.

My tthoughts too

sunbury upon Thames

Check environment agency warnings
  • Like 1