the biggest thing at present for me is the much dryer outlook

that has to be a big bonus to anyone suffering from floods anywhere in the uk

be back tomorrow

nite all

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Evening/morning all

Travelled up and back the M1 today taking a certain guest and their cat back home.Posted Image

Having set off from here at 10.45am, I can confirm no rain until coming back south between East Mids airport and just south of Northampton - approx 16.0-17.30. (+/- 50% - Won;t be exact about timings as don;t want to incriminate myself in terms of speed Posted ImagePosted Image ) It was not biblical - but it was persistent and sufficient to reduce visibility somewhat!

Would it be too blasphemous to say that I'd like  a break for the next 7days please and

a) the only frozen stuff I want is the ice cubes in my freezer for the V & T

Posted Image the only wet stuff i want in my house currently is the V & T and perhaps some nice french dry whites?

xxxxx

Edited by PiggiePalace
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

the biggest thing at present for me is the much dryer outlook

that has to be a big bonus to anyone suffering from floods anywhere in the uk

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

JP - I think I love you Posted Image

xxx

• Like 1

Posted

Torrential rain here in nw London for the last 1/2 hour or so. If it is anything like this just a few miles further south,  I fear the flooding in the Windsor, Datchet, Staines, Kingston areas etc will be even worse in the morning.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Looks like the GFS is delaying the cold for a while according to the Mad Thread but deeper cold will eventually reach us. If I was sensible I would wait until the latter part of the weekend to see what the forecasts are then and what JP and Coast have to say but, like almost everyone else, I don't have the patience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

When did the buildings get built?

Never seen buildings near Niagra Falls.

Think this is a picture of the Missouri River which has frozen.

Having seen it non frozen and gushing over, I'm amazed. Does look beautiful, but standing next to it and not hearing the roar must be odd.

Looks to be liquid on the live webcam, and can still here the roar on the sound

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/niagara_falls_webcam.htm

Posted Image

Niagara Falls frozen tonight. This is the American side of the falls!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its not the horse shoe shaped one further down.

Posted Image

Blimey Wikipedia at 6.30am it's intense for the unawakened brain. Posted Image

Edited by Jason T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Torrential rain here in nw London for the last 1/2 hour or so. If it is anything like this just a few miles further south,  I fear the flooding in the Windsor, Datchet, Staines, Kingston areas etc will be even worse in the morning.Posted Image

Have had some torrential showers this morning. The Thames has burst it's banks in quite a few places here in Staines. Lots of flooding and river levels are nearing those of March 1947!

Posted

Have had some torrential showers this morning. The Thames has burst it's banks in quite a few places here in Staines. Lots of flooding and river levels are nearing those of March 1947!

Thats bad news Stainesbloke. A lot of the recent media coverage has concentrated on coastal flooding but inland areas are also under the cosh. Surrey seems particularly badly hit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all. Windy but dry here. Nerves shredded already Posted Image

Posted

Morning all. Windy but dry here. Nerves shredded already Posted Image

Don't worry Cap, You know what the models are like. Its coming. Still going to be getting colder From Friday. Be positive.

Posted Image

Posted

Morning all.  Another wet night here and a fair breeze this morning.  Nice and warm though with a temp of 8.5c

May I be the first to wish John Pike a

Very Happy Birthday! 

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 

• Like 2

I actually think we are going to find it very hard this year to get a "true" taste of winter.. 

Why? Because of the pattern we have been locked into for so long... I knew yesterday not to get over excited with the charts that are coming out because for me it was a blip... Yes it does look as though the weather will some what quiet down and we will see less rain and cold but I simply think (and no I love cold) we won't see what we have seen in the past few years...

The setup we have seen over the last few weeks is VERY powerful and a huge mixture of air masses and the jet.. The Atlantic IMP im afraid is not done yet, I told my mum in November time "Mum im going for a very wet and mild winter with the odd hint of winter" and so far.. I have been right...

Don't get me wrong I am utterly fuming that we have yet to see any snow.. But as far as I can re-call... Getting snow in December down here anyway is hard.. Lets not get too down YET its only January and plenty too change.. But I feel the Atlantic is not going too give out too easy..

• Like 2

Posted

Morning regionaires.

Wet and windy still in Sussex - quelle surprise. I don't suppose many people are thinking about the current duff weather (excluding the Staines/Chertsey crew - good luck guys). Most eyes have turned to the possibilities for next week now and I'm still not into a comfort zone that makes me feel a little more inclined to ramp this - I shall take my cue from Mr Pike in the next couple of days.

An initial look at the first at hand source (GFS) would suggest the chances have receded considerably and there isn't even a sprinkling likely until a weeks time and that isn't in our patch:

Posted Image

That really is an about turn to this time yesterday from that particular model set and I'm not sure if it's on to something or not - I daren't go in the MOD thread to see the general feeling this morning, as I don't have any riot-squad body armour on.....

One thing that does look set is a period of colder conditions and again, this doesn't look to come to fruition on GFS until a weeks times, not as early as Tuesday as suggested yesterday:

Posted Image

That could be a shock to the system after the recent mild weather. Let me have a look at a couple of other sources for some more hints and trends.

• Like 4

Posted

Happy Birthday John.Time for drinkies later and some wobbly fax charts.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image .

Hopefully this will be on the menu for you tonight.

Wanting to see the aurora borealis from the UK tonight? Here's the forecast cloud for midnight.

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Met O 5 day, out as far as it goes currently and it's a case of move along please, nothing to see here:

post-6667-0-43801200-1389253156_thumb.jp

I'm not going to even post a chart from Netweather Extra NMM as it's completely clear on this run right out to +168 hours and that backs up the other two sources. So far my initial caution yesterday is paying off and as much as I dislike the thought, there are currently no signs of Winter precipitation on the way to us from the USA or anywhere else.

Some serious straw clutching and finger crossing required as of this point regarding next weeks potential, I wish I had better news at this juncture for all the snow fans.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning regionaires.

Wet and windy still in Sussex - quelle surprise. I don't suppose many people are thinking about the current duff weather (excluding the Staines/Chertsey crew - good luck guys). Most eyes have turned to the possibilities for next week now and I'm still not into a comfort zone that makes me feel a little more inclined to ramp this - I shall take my cue from Mr Pike in the next couple of days.

An initial look at the first at hand source (GFS) would suggest the chances have receded considerably and there isn't even a sprinkling likely until a weeks time and that isn't in our patch:

Posted Image

That really is an about turn to this time yesterday from that particular model set and I'm not sure if it's on to something or not - I daren't go in the MOD thread to see the general feeling this morning, as I don't have any riot-squad body armour on.....

One thing that does look set is a period of colder conditions and again, this doesn't look to come to fruition on GFS until a weeks times, not as early as Tuesday as suggested yesterday:

Posted Image

That could be a shock to the system after the recent mild weather. Let me have a look at a couple of other sources for some more hints and trends.

Can you imagine if this progged weather data turns up on the said date Coast, I can handle another week to get here.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

Happy Birthday to John-Boy P, how about sharing some real Winter weather with us?!!!!!

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Dry here now, but windy. I was woken by the wind in the night too.

Happy birthday John. Posted Image and thanks for all your work in this forum over the last year (and longer obviously)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Happy birthday John, today  the ramps are on us Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Can you imagine if this progged weather data turns up on the said date Coast, I can handle another week to get here.

Posted Image Posted Image

Well cold is a start I guess and after a Winter of mild and wild, maybe a quiet few days with frosts and low daytime minima would make a change. What I can't see is any sign of the holy-grail, snow and a lot of people are hanging on by their finger-tips for it. Maybe we just have to hang on a bit longer?

• Like 1

Posted

Well cold is a start I guess and after a Winter of mild and wild, maybe a quiet few days with frosts and low daytime minima would make a change. What I can't see is any sign of the holy-grail, snow and a lot of people are hanging on by their finger-tips for it. Maybe we just have to hang on a bit longer?

Winter proper may pounce upon us next week with #uksnow possible

Posted

Liam Dutton â€@liamdutton5m

Winter proper may pounce upon us next week with #uksnow possible

I think the detail in his blog is also worth considering and I quote:

Will there be any snow?

Initially, rain may be more of a headache than snow. Whenever warm and cold air collides, weather fronts form, producing cloud and rain. Winter proper may pounce upon us next week. The concern for Sunday into Monday is that as the cold and warm air battle it out, a band of rain could become slow-moving, which would not be good news given that the ground is still saturated and river levels high – bringing a flood risk.

If the cold air does win the battle, the rain could start to turn to snow later on Monday, as the cold air starts to dig in from the east. Temperatures are also likely to take a tumble, with widespread frosts at night and highs of 2-6C during the day by Tuesday. So, there could well be a taste of winter proper next week, but again, it has to be stressed that there is still uncertainty with the detail.

That was written yesterday when the models we have access to were very buoyed up about snow prospects. Is the information today more accurate? - I'm not sure and I can't currently see anything getting down as far as us, but we will find out early next week.....
  • Like 1