Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

One of the mildest Winters for some years?

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

This January here in the south east has certainly been mild, it hasn't been the outstanding high values but the consistency of mild/fairly mild days and complete lack of anything cold at all this winter - coldest day here being 6.3c max. A few ground frosts but nothing exceptional. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

This January here in the south east has certainly been mild, it hasn't been the outstanding high values but the consistency of mild/fairly mild days and complete lack of anything cold at all this winter - coldest day here being 6.3c max. A few ground frosts but nothing exceptional. 

That would be an accurate description of this winter so far. According to wunderground.com for my location there have been no days yet (in December or so far in January) where the temperature has failed to reach 6c. And we didn't even get an air frost in December at all. You could say that some haven't even experienced a proper 'cold snap' yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It has never failed to get snow here by the third week of January in my lifetime[since 1968],I guess that is quite exceptional!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Latest Model runs are indicating a return to more zonal stormy weather. Odds shorten even more for a snow free winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Been an average Jan, dominated by westerlies, surely cannot expect anything else in the UK in Jan? still to get my first 10+ day this Jan, that I do find unusual, normally make 10C during Jan

Posted

Met Office confident that the block will pushed away the Atlantic a bit of stormy weather before it goes though but no snow for the likes of me I'm afraid. So 90-10 in favour of a Snow free Jan here and if the Atlantic does get wound up Feb could go the same way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Summer Sun, January 21, 2014 - wrong place, sorry
Hidden by Summer Sun, January 21, 2014 - wrong place, sorry

wrong place

sorry

Edited by Summer Sun
Posted

Block still holding on however no snow looks likely here at the moment. Looking at Thursdays snow forecast doesn't look that good as dew points are above zero until after the rainfall clears. Same with the cold uppers which arrive after the rain.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Been an average Jan, dominated by westerlies, surely cannot expect anything else in the UK in Jan? still to get my first 10+ day this Jan, that I do find unusual, normally make 10C during Jan

Quote from Paul Hudson snipped from the media thread-" January is so far even more impressive, currently standing at 17th warmest since 1659 in the CET record as we head into the last third of the month."- Hardly average Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Never got to this date and not snowed in this location,not unless it was pre 1960s.....I wouldn't call that average

• Like 1

Posted

Going to push South Yorkshire into far the north of England. May get some snow tomorrow then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

For the CET, the last 3 days averaged have been the coldest of winter so far, a bone chilling 3.9C!

• Like 1

Posted

You should pop down to Camborne the mean this month is 7.9C which is an anom of +1.1. The highest I've seen is +2.8 for Shoreham.

Rainfall 228% at Odiham.

Edited by knocker

Posted

have you data to prove Met are wrong?I mean other than your locality?

All I know John is that we are heading for one of the wettest January's on record, not just locally but for England and Wales as a whole.
  • Like 1

Posted

This was the Uk and regional picture from the met office (provisionally) as at mid month:

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2014/01/16/mild-wet-winter-continues-in-early-january-figures/

Posted

And from Philip Eden we have detailed stats of the progressing month up to the 20th:

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

You should pop down to Camborne the mean this month is 7.9C which is an anom of +1.1. The highest I've seen is +2.8 for Shoreham.

Rainfall 228% at Odiham.

I'm from Shoreham.

And I can confirm that it's been one of the mildest Dec - January 23 periods I can ever remember down here (mind you I did spend the 90's living elsewhere so I can't comment about those winters down here).

But certainly since 2000.

I have not put on the central heating once this year !!

I can't recall any Winter down here that has been so mild and so wet ...and so boring (weather wise)

Posted

Blimey some sleet today Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Shows how rubbish this winter is if Sleet is the first wintry precipitation.

Posted

Surprisingly at home this month has had a colder min temp than last January and Februaries poor effort, and more air frosts than last January. However last Jan had an ice day, whereas this year has had no maxima below 8c so far!

Overall though it has been mild, though only 0.7c warmer in terms of average temp so far compared to last January (6.4c vs 5.7c). This is the mean of all readings not the traditional max+min method though.

So far it looks to have been sunnier too.

Edited to correct this months mean temp

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

Met office this evening mentioned turning cold again next week. We all know what happened last time they said that. So we may see a little snow after all this month.

Posted

Still snow free but some sleet observed. Could be a classic fail this morning if the showers don't turn up. The showers are looking very weak. If they don't next chance is Friday.

Posted

Oh well now raining so we can write today off as snow chance. End of week ??? All depends if the gFS is correct or not. The fail today is due to the dew points being to high.

Ahh odd flake of snow in the light rain

Edited by The PIT