Sign in to follow this  
Skullzrulerz

How stupid is this driver?

A motorist has been banned from driving after he was caught driving at 62mph with both hands behind his head.

Richard Newton, 36, from Whitby, was filmed driving for about 30 seconds with both hands off the steering wheel, Scarborough Magistrates' Court heard.

He was caught by a police safety camera van on the A171 between Whitby and Guisborough on 9 August.

He was given a 12-month ban and ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the community.

Mr Newton had argued he was in control of the car but was found guilty of dangerous driving,
He was also fined £625 and told he must pay a £60 victim surcharge.

Dave Brown, from North Yorkshire Police said: "This case demonstrates two things.
One is the sheer stupidity of some people who put others in danger and the other is the ability of our safety camera to capture a range of offences."

How stupid is that holding your hands behind your head for a period of time when driving at that kind of speeds.
No matter there loads of stupid drivers in the uk and elsewhere.

Pretty dumb, for sure. But probably still a damn sight safer than most women with their hands on the wheel.

Pretty dumb, for sure. But probably still a damn sight safer than most women with their hands on the wheel.

LOL! Nothing like a bit of casual misogyny on a wet Monday evening!

A motorist has been banned from driving after he was caught driving at 62mph with both hands behind his head.

Richard Newton, 36, from Whitby, was filmed driving for about 30 seconds with both hands off the steering wheel, Scarborough Magistrates' Court heard.

He was caught by a police safety camera van on the A171 between Whitby and Guisborough on 9 August.

He was given a 12-month ban and ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the community.

Mr Newton had argued he was in control of the car but was found guilty of dangerous driving,
He was also fined £625 and told he must pay a £60 victim surcharge.

Dave Brown, from North Yorkshire Police said: "This case demonstrates two things.
One is the sheer stupidity of some people who put others in danger and the other is the ability of our safety camera to capture a range of offences."

How stupid is that holding your hands behind your head for a period of time when driving at that kind of speeds.
No matter there loads of stupid drivers in the uk and elsewhere.

Only just a month ago I was on the "on slip" to a dual carriage way and noticed the van to my right and the driver looking not at the road but a phone (tell tale glow) at around 06:15 on a wet morning, I slowed down to pull in behind his van as I did not want to be in front of it or by the side of it, and guess he was going 70+, so I stayed back at 60 as I had a feeling, and not a minute later the road reached a bend, he clipped the curb and bounced out from the inside lane to the outside one, just lucky no one was close to get caught up, and the van swayed and snaked for a few seconds until the driver regained control, those few seconds could have cost lives had any other vehicles been near him at the time.

Edited by Jax

LOL! Nothing like a bit of casual misogyny on a wet Monday evening!

Nah women are great - but as much as I like them, they're still pretty crap drivers in the main. It's just the way it is, like most blokes aren't naturally adept at running-up a pair of curtains.

like most blokes aren't naturally adept at running-up a pair of curtains.

Our old cat was a natural at that.

well....I'm a woman driver but. ...I have to agree. Some women drivers do some truly idiotic things and consequently give the rest of us a bad name.oh....and I cant make curtains but I'm a dab hand at putting up shelves. :) Edited by Keraunophile

well....I'm a woman driver but. ...I have to agree. Some women drivers do some truly idiotic things and consequently give the rest of us a bad name.

Yes, it's not all women, but I see one 2 weeks ago doing her makeup on a Motorway... hmmmm

Worst is when driving along at 30 mph talking to the kids in the back. Both sexes do daft things.

well....I'm a woman driver but. ...I have to agree. Some women drivers do some truly idiotic things and consequently give the rest of us a bad name.

oh....and I cant make curtains but I'm a dab hand at putting up shelves. Posted Image

on the flip side I see many blokes doing idiotic things too and do not get me started on speeding, tailgaters and undertaking.

This was on our local news too, knowing the road well it probably wasn't especially dangerous to briefly stop the steering wheel moving with his thigh/knee.(he said he was doing)Not to say I'd recommend it but the fines and ban seemed harsh when he appears in the clip to be driving far better than a lot of then do over there.I suspect there are instances of drivers hitting and seriously injuring people who have had less severe treatment.

on the flip side I see many blokes doing idiotic things too and do not get me started on speeding, tailgaters and undertaking.

Men cause crashes because of over-confidence.... women cause them because of under-competance. My missus often reminds me that she's had no accidents in her 25 years of driving, then I remind her of how many she's caused and left in her wake.

It take longer to stop at speed if you skid on the very wet roads, I doubt anywhere has dry roads at the moment. When driving that is the only thing to be doing, have seen people texting and driving!, also those that drive while looking at the radio/cd player, I call this invisible driving might as well just stick a brick on the pedals..

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

also those that drive while looking at the radio/cd player......

Good point. I think in-car entertainment presents  as big a distraction as mobile phones and stuff - not just 'cos of the inevitable twiddling but the music itself blocks out rather important external noises such as sirens, reversing beepers etc. Never seen the appeal myself and I need to hear what the engine is doing at all times.

undertaking.

The only time I undertake is when people are in the wrong lane and failing to make proper progress. A good example is near where I work. The limit is 40 mph so many drive at 30 mph or less in the RH lane it's quiet common you have an empty left hand lane.

Interestingly this probably why many people get tail gated. If someone undertakes me it normally means I'm driving badly and being dopey. I very rarely get tail gated.

You see so many crazy driving incidents on the roads these days I was hardly phased by this, despite the ridiculous stunt pulled by this particular  driver.

When I get home some nights I heave a sigh of relief just to have made it through another working day on UK roads.