Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

crazy rainfall just now from a huge cell. Couldn't see in front of us on road for a few seconds.

Posted

It's actually turned out to be a nice day here after all - it would be an even nicer day if it was the beginning of April and not January!

I came to work in just my cardigan this morning - it certainly isn't winter coat and scarf weather out there today!

• Like 2

Posted

Hopefully it's the last lot of warnings for wind and rain for a while now....I'd like to think when I get back from my holibobs there are some yellow snow/ice warnings to post up - it would make a very pleasant change Posted Image

Morning all, lovely blue sky and sunshine here right now but it was terrible in the night again.....happy Monday Posted Image

never play in the yellow snow :lol:

'noon all :)

just popped in to look around. now popping out again :D

• Like 3

Posted

Had a bit of a look into the GFS crystal ball (purchased in FI, probably) and Friday onwards, the Atlantic seems to takes a bit of a break:

Posted Image

It's comparative to what we have endured recently, but should provide a bit of a welcome change.

Late Sunday could see the start of something else coming in. but if GFS has this somewhere near right, we might get a couple of rest days at least:

Posted Image

Nothing currently pointing to snow unless you want to head 3000 miles West, where it's really kicking off:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-midwest-northeast-hit-by-bitter-cold-temperatures-1.2485191

I'm sure our time will come - eventually.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

crazy rainfall just now from a huge cell. Couldn't see in front of us on road for a few seconds.

.....that will be what passed through here about 2:30pm - back to clear sky again now though and there was a lovely rainbow after Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Back to work as well today after a one day weekend break from it, feels like I never left.  Well it looked like a war zone out this morning, bins and rubbish blowing about and still now it has only marginally improved.  Feeling mild out of the still strong and gusty wind, had rain on and off most of the day but not really seen much of the sun apart from a short burst of it mid morning.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't like too much guessing the future way off, but the GFS meteogram for London gives a nice overview of a settled few days over next weekend before goodness knows what comes at us next:

Posted Image

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted

This afternoon's walk along the river to Kingston greeted us with the feathered river dwellers paddling around on the bank quite unaware that the river had now breached the edge in places. The water was higher than yesterday's level and looked very fast moving; the log that floated alongside us as we walked matched our speed of around 3 miles per hour. Heading homewards into the teeth of the wind felt like a resistance training programme and the river looked to be moving even faster. Another interesting day of weather. The chap coming to fix our fences currently has a waiting list of 4 weeks.

post-8993-0-51238300-1389024612_thumb.jp

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Chicago is currently at -24.2C. It's nowhere near their coldest ever day though...that was -33C on the 10th January 1982.That year also saw a wind chill value of -46C. 

Interesting date that one. Posted Image It also had England's coldest ever recorded temperature, as well as the joint UK record low (Braemar, I think and about a degree colder than the England record)

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Interesting date that one. Posted Image It also had England's coldest ever recorded temperature, as well as the joint UK record low (Braemar, I think and about a degree colder than the England record)

Do you think that's what's coming for us Steve? :winky: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Do you think that's what's coming for us Steve? Posted Image

Definitely not in 4 days time anyway. Posted Image

I think it'll calm down soon, then might either return to the Atlantic train, for another stretch, or we'll have a cold spell. I definitely don't think the weather will just stay benign for the rest of the Winter. I still think we'll have a cold spell this Winter, even if the train reappears, but I hope it sticks to the winter period - i.e. before about 10th March. Posted Image I, for one, don't want another dragging cold spring like the last one.

• Like 2

Posted

This afternoon's walk along the river to Kingston greeted us with the feathered river dwellers paddling around on the bank quite unaware that the river had now breached the edge in places.

Posted Image2014-01-06 14.59.43.jpg

Wow that's high. I know that stretch well and haven't seen it like that before.

Heading back to the UK in a couple days after 6 weeks away in the sun (sorry :)) in South America. Think it is going to be a bit of a shock. Apparently the garden is soggy and full of debris from the various storms.

Posted

Wow that's high. I know that stretch well and haven't seen it like that before.

Agreed, in all my years walking that stretch I have never seen the water go over the banks; wish I could have video-ed the speed of the river, it really did look impressive.

You can always hope the garden has dried out by the time you return. Our rubbish collectors arrived unexpectedly this afternoon and the recycling that we retrieved at speed from outside the back door left quite a trail of water, wet footprints and sodden cardboard through the house.

Posted

Just been out and back to the Library (quickly as it is windy out) and there are bins and rubbish all over the place :(

Feels cold in the wind but we all know it is not, but at least (for now anyway) it is dry and clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Tide was pretty high at Worthing beach today. nice sunny day too

post-18098-0-13268100-1389029485_thumb.j

post-18098-0-81985300-1389029601_thumb.j

Edited by JK1
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Apparently Montreal, Saskatoon & Winnipeg are now in the USA according to the BBC. Ladies & Gentlemen...here's your TV license! 

post-15503-0-17861000-1389029521_thumb.jpost-15503-0-93500100-1389029698_thumb.j

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 5

Posted

Apparently Montreal, Saskatoon & Winnipeg are now in the USA according to the BBC. Ladies & Gentleman...here's your TV license! 

Posted ImageCapture.JPG

Posted ImageCapture.JPG

BBC online weather has always been a bit pants really, don't you think? their online forecast always seems behind the current ones elsewhere.