Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2014 Chasing outlook

Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Big tornado on Louisville, MS cell.  MIDSCAR (TVN Weather) on it right now.

Looking like a large rain-wrapped wedge.  The worst kind...

14,000 viewers! No wonder the stream has frozen!

Posted

Talking of Tyler, looks like he is sitting up waiting on the Louisville cell to come to him and he seems to be in prime position.

The cell at Aberdeen (no not that Aberdeen!) us also looking tasty and the Dom is on that one......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

near yazoo city 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Some intense lightning strikes on Mid South Stormchasers feed.. Just wish they'd take the camera off auto-focus as its jumping in and out of focus and kinda drives you nuts... Has sound too.

Looks like Brett Adair is just about to be hammered with hail, deep green cells approaching..

Edited by NL

Posted

wow how dark is it
  • Like 1

Posted

Brett Adair on a very large multi-vortex wedge.

Posted

that was pretty intense!

So was that!

Pretty wild and dangerous out there at the mo.

Posted

Preliminary Tornado count stands at 63 for the the breakout yesterday in Dixie alley. Good news in not hearing of any fatalities as yet.

Video from Basehunters Scott Peake chasing a large tornado in Louisville Mississippi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5C_1Hmx82M#t=127

Edited by NL
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes a pretty amazing outbreak, not hard to see why when you have a 90kt 500Mb Jetstreak stuck between 2 ridges, rinse and repeat unfortunately and with a tepid bath of the Gulf Of Mexico wide open with strong LLJ The moisture just a keeps coming.

1 thing about last night which was unnerving was at 1 point there were 4 identical Classic Supercells lined up and perfectly spaced apart in Central Mississippi, all at the time had large wedge tornadoes ripping up trees. Lots of cities dodged bullets last night, biggest was Birmingham in Alabama.

NL I think when I hit the sack at 2am (Uk Time) there were 4 confirmed fatalities in Mississippi so think unfortuntely the death count will increase and add to Arkansas from the 27th.

One thing I would also like to comment on is the recklessness still of some chasers who have not learned a thing from El Reno and have massive deathwishes, Scott's Video from Basehunters above is a good illustration of a very good chaser who is in control and knows exactly what he is doing, 1 other from Tupelo I have seen is damn right idiotic with the moron screaming oh know its going to hit me, why put yerself in the path on a High Risk day, that guy had zero control over the situation and was just thanking the lord he is still alive.

On another note GFS Is looking very nice for Netweather's Tour 1 this morning with no ridging in sight and trough lined up in the Pacific, not long now before the fun begins for us and hopefully it is over the open plains of tornado alley and not Dixie!

Regards

Paul S

Edited by Paul Sherman
  • Like 1

Posted

Hoping there's no 'death ridges' for the annual Netweather storm chases. Hopefully one year I'll get out there with you its just unfortunate that the US 'storm season' coincides with my 'clusterheadache' cycle..!! Going for an occipital nerve block (30-40 injections into my neck and head) soon to try and break-up the pattern..Good luck and stay safe..

Posted

One thing I would also like to comment on is the recklessness still of some chasers who have not learned a thing from El Reno and have massive deathwishes, Scott's Video from Basehunters above is a good illustration of a very good chaser who is in control and knows exactly what he is doing, 1 other from Tupelo I have seen is damn right idiotic with the moron screaming oh know its going to hit me, why put yerself in the path on a High Risk day, that guy had zero control over the situation and was just thanking the lord he is still alive.

It needs a group of responsible people to drop them off somewhere out of the way and park their car in the nearest river.... It's been getting worse over recent years and I can't remember the last year you haven't mentioned it at some point Paul.  Youtube holds the evidence.  Endangering yourself is one thing but putting other people in danger is another.  It's only a matter of time before these idiots cause loss of life by getting in the way of an escape route.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Damn, didn't realise this was here. Love the tornado season and have been spending a lot of time over the last 3 days over on a US weather forum. At one point yesterday I had TWC, James Spann, TVN Weather and my forum open! It's absolutely absorbing. Some of the Brett Adair streams last night were absolutely immense, especially around Birmingham - which dodged a massive bullet early this morning (our time). Threat looks reasonable again today with the chance of things becoming 'HGH RISK' in the N.C area. 

When is the first tour going? The more active things are the better.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Damn, didn't realise this was here. Love the tornado season and have been spending a lot of time over the last 3 days over on a US weather forum. At one point yesterday I had TWC, James Spann, TVN Weather and my forum open! It's absolutely absorbing. Some of the Brett Adair streams last night were absolutely immense, especially around Birmingham - which dodged a massive bullet early this morning (our time). Threat looks reasonable again today with the chance of things becoming 'HGH RISK' in the N.C area. 

When is the first tour going? The more active things are the better.

The first tour starts 10th May. I know what you mean, it's an excellent means of procrastination in exams season :D

Posted

Not so sure about tonight's risk with 17Z RAP not really getting the instability back into C MS/AL in time for the LLJ.Some tornados about yes but I don't entirely concur with SPC tornado watch just issued but 1) I'm an amateur and 2) I have been wrong on several occasions LOL.

Edit: Note to myself - look at OBS before posting. The skies have actually cleared nicely across a large portion of MS and into AL so I guess the modelled CAPE may be underplayed with 2mTs of 25 and dps approaching 20 in the clear slot. May be lively after all and initiation imminent looking at visible.

Edit2: Hodo for Meridian, MS shows a very sharp directional turn between surface and 900mb which is interesting. Deep layer SRH may not be that high but pure directional shear lower down could compensate.

This Dixie/jungle stuff is a nightmare to be honest for chasers and residents alike so let's move on to May and get those lovely tubes out in open country.

Note: Agree entirely with Paul regarding chaser etiquette. Chuck Doswell's talk at ChaserCon 2014 is well worth a watch (available on YT)

Edited by nsrobins
  • Like 1

Posted

a few tornadoes touching down in north carolina at the mo

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/live

Posted

another link this time in mississippi 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

I am not yet looking as far as our tour 21 May. It has been a busy couple of days down in Dixie.

hope Paul and tour 1 catch a few tornadoes.

Tom

Posted

Tues night a virtual bust as suspected with the coastal MCS sucking the life out of the atmosphere

A quiet spell now until the pattern begins to reassert itself mid-week 7th May onwards with severe weather again increasing in the mid-west.

Posted

A lot of chatter in the chaser community getting excited about the upcoming May and a very active Pattern.

First chases next week to test the equipment look to fall absolutely perfectly for us.

Cant wait

• Like 3