Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 1/1/14 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Thin cloud cover. Sun is shining through the cloud. Cloud base 428ft. Temperature 6.3c. Sensor in the shade is reading 4.5c...

Not sure about cloud base? My other station used to give you that also but for example surely today if the cloud base was 428ft it would at least be foggy at home?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Not sure about cloud base? My other station used to give you that also but for example surely today if the cloud base was 428ft it would at least be foggy at home?

Cloud base calculations on weather software are only accurate 50% of the time, it uses temperature and dewpoint, but the factor to multiply by can vary, some people use 125, some use 400, so temperature - dewpoint * 400, some use 1000 with a division of 4.5 and adding your altitude, temperature - dewpoint / 4.4F or 2.2C * 1000 + altitude. As far as I know, the calculations i mentioned and the weather software does the maths for only Cumulus clouds. If you wanted to know it accurately, I would find the temp and dew point and also the lapse rate, then do the maths .. It's never going to be spot on anyway, unless you use a laser. :lol: Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Blimey what does one have to do to get something dry round here let alone cold at the moment! I really do hope the models backtrack and show something colder and drier again in the following day or two. Out of all the weather conditions available in a British winter, we're stuck with just the one we don't want!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

8.6mm here today,bringing my Jan total to 130.2mm, next week not looking good at all on current output for drying up.

We really needed that Easterly for more reason than one. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Crystal clear blue skies and a rather pleasent feel to the day today.

Feels like Spring is starting early! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Crystal clear blue skies and a rather pleasent feel to the day today.Feels like Spring is starting early! :)

Yup - exacerbated by having daffodils popping up here, shrubs are budding and even the fuchsias are close to flowering. :OCurrently 6.5C and sunny.
  • Like 3

Posted

In addition to daffodil shoots we have crocus and even tulip shoots growing quite well! It's not really a surprise given how mild the winter has been so far, in fact the lowest temperature occurred in November and there have only been 7 air frosts since the first one nearly 2 months ago along with some ground frosts like yesterday.

A really sparkling day today, a perfect winter day, but I'm not sure we'll even get an air frost tonight should the Southerly breeze and cloud cover pick up around midnight ahead of the fronts tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Gorgeous day looking forward to a very frosty evening but before that will get the bike out for the first time in ages. Days like this or deep snow covered fields are winter delights....make the most of it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Well the weather today has been amazing, clear blue skies and very light winds, it just makes me crave even more for high pressure to park itself over the UK for a few weeks and I'm sure many would welcome the same instead of the constant wind and rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Great Day for sunshine...3.8c. Now the sun is setting....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

It has been a very nice day here, actually a bit warm in the sun! Nice to see the first below zero temperature here for a while.... Currently -0.6c here now....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Lovely frost out there this evening. Unusual to see the cars white and the pavements sparkling at 8pm. Shame I missed today with a migraine as I was really looking forward to clearing up some of the sodden leaves in the garden. 128.6mm of rain so far this month.

0.8C, DP -0.8C, WB 0.2C. Flat Calm. 0.7mm rain early this morning.

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

0.5c. Clear and calm under starry skies.

Posted

Only the 2nd min below -2c this winter! -2.1c being the lowest, but as with last Sunday's frost it has almost gone already under frontal cloud which arrived before sunrise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Brrhh cold and icy start to the morning... But the sun is still gloriously out. Get that washing out quick and enjoy it while you can.. Judging my the model discussion thread no chance of an easterly and we will be back to the winter rain.. Although perhaps with less wind this time...

Rubbish. I like these crisp bright mornings...

• Like 1

Posted

What a night, high winds and rain. Had some really big gusts that managed to slam a door in the house which is not normal and I'm sure I heard some rumbles of thunder but I may have just dreamt that

• Like 1

Posted

Utterly miserable and grey here today after yesterday's sunshine. Normal service resumes then I guess.

No chance of snow then? Not that I want it to be honest as I think we all need a respite from this awful rain. Some frosts and sunshine would be so welcome at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

What a night, high winds and rain. Had some really big gusts that managed to slam a door in the house which is not normal and I'm sure I heard some rumbles of thunder but I may have just dreamt that

Well it does state "Mad but friendly with it" on your profile. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Utterly miserable and grey here today after yesterday's sunshine. Normal service resumes then I guess.

No chance of snow then? Not that I want it to be honest as I think we all need a respite from this awful rain. Some frosts and sunshine would be so welcome at the moment.

Did you sleep in, what most of us had earlier today and overnight was precisely as you stated above "Some frosts and sunshine". Posted Image Posted Image  FWIW I believe the model suites are still struggling with what's going on up above in the stratosphere, so I would take things as nothing is certain just now. I do think a fair bit of rain can be expected, sadly, across the far West and SW of this region in the coming days however.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Did you sleep in, what most of us had earlier today and overnight was precisely as you stated above "Some frosts and sunshine". Posted Image Posted Image  FWIW I believe the model suites are still struggling with what's going on up above in the stratosphere, so I would take things as nothing is certain just now. I do think a fair bit of rain can be expected, sadly, across the far West and SW of this region in the coming days however.

Yeah I did. New job, 9 months pregnant daughter and a baby shower yesterday caught up with me and I didn't see the morning until 10am lol.

The dredging, or rather lack of it, has been the problem around these parts. I just don't understand how the powers that be think that this is the way to cut costs. The road I take to work is higher than the fields so it's like driving through a path made through the sea, very weird. If this water rises much more then I will be stuffed getting to work. I'm one of the lucky ones, the flooding hasn't really affected me, but friends are at their wits end with it all.

Posted

Good to see you taking it easy Daisy. Yes, some of the reasons for not clearing ditches and dredging rivers are based on environmental protection policies as I understand. Poor farmers are damned if they do and damned if they don't. These regulations are to change soon and as long as rare newts, toads, fish fry are moved elsewhere in a sensitive manner then I think it can be achieved. It needs to be addressed as the lengthsmen (ditch clearers) as my mother calls them were used in the past, so why not get the jobless youth out there doing the same thing before such extreme events begin. I feel so so sorry for those effected by yet another round of flooding, it truly never rains but it pours in certain cases.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2