Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 1/1/14 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Did it settle beast? Not surprised, cold air digging behind and that little feature coming in the mix with some decent elevation. Big thumbs up with some jealousy of course

Haha! Thanks mate! It did settle a bit on the roofs and cars, but would have to be going for a couple of hours to settle on the ground as its so wet! Nice to see, apart from the visitor in the duchy car park shining his main beams through my window so he could see the snow in his headlamps!

some get all the luck on street lamp duty here nothing doing!

As karlos says, elevation helps and you have a good amount there mate.... I bet you have some by the end of the month!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I've a feeling we will all be cold come the end of Jan/early Feb. signals are there, and Mother Nature has a habit of evening things out.

No doubt water shortages come May pmsl

• Like 3

Posted

I've a feeling we will all be cold come the end of Jan/early Feb. signals are there, and Mother Nature has a habit of evening things out. No doubt water shortages come May pmsl

I hope you are right mate, getting fed up of relentless wind and rain now!
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes it is wearing a little thin now, although I personally prefer it to the groundhog days we had recently, even though I've had damage to my own property, odd I know.

I'm convinced we will have a prolonged cold spell before winter is out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Compared to the euro high dross of early December I have to degree this period of weather has been exciting interesting and newsworthy.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes it is wearing a little thin now, although I personally prefer it to the groundhog days we had recently, even though I've had damage to my own property, odd I know. I'm convinced we will have a prolonged cold spell before winter is out.

I agree, that really dull period we had was getting boring! Hope your property gets sorted buddy.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Changing topic slightly the surf forecast is out of this world. Predictions of up to 28ft surf down at Bantham and up on the north coast. Just insane! If the wind was to drop of back south easterly the north coast especially will be epic for the more light in the head types. Good luck to them!

• Like 1

Posted

I agree, that really dull period we had was getting boring! Hope your property gets sorted buddy.

I pay my premiums, it'll get sorted, live for today and tomorrow, we'll fix yesterday.It isn't often you get lows as deep as they've been in and around the uk, or the globe for that matter, embrace it weather friends! You were there!But for Christ sake, don't go hanging off cliffs, walking to the end of flooded piers or swimming in these conditions, you may actually not live to regret it, Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

In the calm weather I have had a look at the beach from Freshwater Bay to Brook on the Isle of Wight. The storms have changed things somewhat.

For a start the sand is mixed with pebbles and will not settle back for a while yet, even some wrecks have moved, noticed all the deck cargoes of timber being taken away in the old wrecking style just like years ago LOL

My back is too bad for all that these days Posted Image

Plenty around to be sure, I've been down the shore in Sudmoor Bay (between Brook & Chilton Chine) several times since Christmas and hauled back a good load. It was lost off the deck of an Italian owned cargo ship off Brittany during stormy seas on 13/14th December. Seems to be mostly large planks of pine & American ash.

Posted

That blob in the channel looks to have edged north in last couple of frames, May skirt the Dorset Coast , more likely, iow, Hampshire and Sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

As ever the following interactive and zoomable map link will need monitoring over the coming days. Posted Image

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx

Come the end of the next working week, things should start to dry out, at least for a few days.  Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

I've a feeling we will all be cold come the end of Jan/early Feb. signals are there, and Mother Nature has a habit of evening things out. No doubt water shortages come May pmsl

Funny you say that actually, as that is what I said in December! http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78387-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-061113-0000z/?view=findpost&p=2857674Although I had no clear reasoning as I said, it looks like it could be the case!Hold the faith guys, Cornwall have had snow before most of the rest of the region... It can only get better :p
  • Like 1

Posted

At least the precip accumulation looks much better for the next 192 hours, think we've peaked now guys, time to dry out before Mulls heads off skiing and the snow can actually settle :-)

post-16760-0-92085600-1388879943_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Funny you say that actually, as that is what I said in December! http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78387-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-061113-0000z/?view=findpost&p=2857674Although I had no clear reasoning as I said, it looks like it could be the case!Hold the faith guys, Cornwall have had snow before most of the rest of the region... It can only get better :p

Perhaps we should approach the express so they can apply some reasoning lol, we seem to have the same opinion ;-)
  • Like 2

Posted

Look at the last update for the stour, 1st Jan, joke

post-16760-0-20816500-1388881393_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

At least the precip accumulation looks much better for the next 192 hours, think we've peaked now guys, time to dry out before Mulls heads off skiing and the snow can actually settle :-)

I'm even wondering if there will be any snow left in my resort by the time I arrive with temperatures this week touching double figures there and lower slopes already turning patchy! You really couldn't make this up if you wanted to Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I'm even wondering if there will be any snow left in my resort by the time I arrive with temperatures this week touching double figures there and lower slopes already turning patchy! You really couldn't make this up if you wanted to Posted Image

Where you heading? Alps are getting smashed this weekend I hear?

Posted

Where you heading? Alps are getting smashed this weekend I hear?

Smashed.. Only the highest resort slopes and generally western areas. Im going to nederau in the tirol this year which is only 850m resort height and 1500 tops although localy you can ski up to over 2000 ish

They are forecast 3cm from this weekend and then for temperatures to climb up to 8 - 11c and even above some nights.  All the alps look fairly warm next week I just hope for a quick change into my week there.

http://www.auhof.co.uk/webcam.asp that's web cam link and days cnap shots if you all want to stay up to date on my holiday Posted Image Hey you might catch me out on the tiles one night Posted Image

snow forecast plus temps next week... http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Niederau_snow.html  Posted Image

Edited by mullender83
  • Like 1

Posted

Perhaps we should approach the express so they can apply some reasoning lol, we seem to have the same opinion ;-)

Oh I'm sure the express would take us on, anyone who can give them any sort of prediction they give a go, then they would be able to add some scientific reasoning from the pro meteorologists madden and Powell ;)Haha we do, must be a good thing right?! :D Edited by dec10snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

***Special report on this week's severe weather across Cornwall, Scillies and the Channel Islands here: http://www.cciweather.co.uk/ ***

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Weather alert ; it has been dry for nearly 18 hours!! Lovely frosty morning as a result but the signs are there for more rain as frontal cloud is clearly thickening the more SW you look in the sky!

On a serious note, the River Wylye has burst its' banks at Bishopstrow at the eastern end of Warminster at Boreham Road, having spoken to my Dad this hasn't happened since the late 1950s!!

Posted

Slightly improved forecast for my holiday this morning... baby steps Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Overcast and still damp from yesterday. Temp overnight dropped down to -0.5C, but has been rising at 2.5C/hr since around 9am due I suspect to an increase in wind.

• Like 1