Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 1/1/14 18z ------>

A.J

Posted

Heard that they are having quite a lot of thunder and lightning in Locks Heath.

Just heard a faint rumble here too.

Just 2mm of rain so far today, drizzling constantly since the early hours, 12c, 1002hpa, wind only 13mph today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yep, thought so, obviously another Thunder day to be had here in Newbury as confirmed by a few in here and on the radar. The hail hammering against the windows and gusty winds all through the night as predicted by AWD made it a night to remember for intermittent sleep. Crazy weather and as this latest lot clears, it will be eyes on tonight's and tomorrow's developments I guess.

• Like 1

Posted

You lucky lot!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Thunder and lightening first thing this morning.  I drove my son 5 miles to another village where he catches his bus for college and we hit a hail storm.  My word that came down, could barely see where I was going.  Bit too scary for my liking.  Sun is out now and looking rather pleasant.

Posted

Here's the surge that seems to be causing so much trouble in Dorset currently:

post-6667-0-16071000-1389092902_thumb.pn

http://www.yosurfer.com/surf_reports/nea/map/

Numerous flood warnings remain in place across Britain, and the Met Office has warned of more heavy rain for south and south-east England. Three severe flood warnings - meaning "danger to life" - have been issued for Dorset, along with more than 120 lower-level warnings in England and Wales.

One of the severe warnings is for Chiswell - where a flood siren was sounded after defences were breached.Police in Northern Ireland asked people to avoid coastal areas on Monday, but tides there were not as high as initially feared. Weather warnings were issued for much of the UK on Monday, but these have all been lifted with the exception of the rain warning for southern and south-eastern England.

This is a yellow warning - the lowest of the Met Office's three levels - for "heavy showers, some of them combined with hail and thunder". The warning, due to run until 06:00 GMT on Wednesday, says the public should be "aware of the risk of further localised flooding, especially in areas which have been affected in recent days".

'Move upstairs'

The Environment Agency set off the flood siren in Dorset to warn of extreme danger to people and property after waves crashed over defences at Chesil Beach, near the village of Chiswell. Dorset Police have told families in the area to move to an upstairs room facing away from the sea. Elsewhere in the county, severe flood warnings are in place for the Lower Stour and Preston Beach, near Weymouth.

Karen Bosman, a watch officer at Solent coastguard on the English Channel, told the BBC she had never seen such a prolonged storm and said there were forecasts for more high winds of up to 50mph that would whip up the sea. Western and southern parts of the UK were the worst affected by Monday's bad weather and flooding, which left some villages in Somerset cut off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25633693

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just a couple of light showers here resulting in 2mm. I think it's the first time in 3 weeks where the warnings were not needed, the showers have not been widespread in the south and they have been fast moving.

Currently 10.9C and sunny.

Just having had a look at what tomorrow may hold, there is some variation on where the heaviest rain will be, the main bulk of the heavy rain stays out to the west before moving north east, Somerset/Devon/Cornwall/Wales likely to see the heaviest bursts but Dorset for example, may not see much from it, which is a welcomed relief to all those who are being affected by the flooding.

post-15177-0-59000900-1389095251_thumb.g post-15177-0-90805800-1389095265_thumb.p post-15177-0-58533400-1389095274_thumb.p post-15177-0-16815000-1389095285_thumb.p post-15177-0-39300300-1389095294_thumb.p post-15177-0-14896900-1389095306_thumb.p post-15177-0-69717800-1389095326_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Stunning weather this morning, I had driven to work in Westbury before and after the trough but didn't get out of my car until nearly 09.00 as it arrived quicker than my radar check had predicted lol !There were frequent short lived torrential bursts of rain/hail between 07.00-08.00 then an incredible sight as the increasing daylight revealed a break in the clouds and a massive CB and anvil in which I witnessed 2 bright pink flashes of lightning with proper anvil crawling lightning that went across the clear portion of the sky!

There was no more lightning but further torrential rain/hail including a rapid daylight darkness inducing gust front that saw the wind switch from SW-NW in seconds with an accompanying squall! 

What a period this has been and continues to be! Squally shower now as I type.

I have to ask ; is pink anvil crawling lightning normal in January!? 

... And another wee rumble... Judging by radar you have a torrential spot over you now Andy..

hi Andy,And a minute ago thunder here! Hmm so how far Newbury to Warminster is the time taken for the thunder to travel. Cool I love the nw forum. Must be the same thunder you heard!

Sorry I missed your replies last night Polar Bear, I had gone to sleep! No way was it the same thunder.

• Like 1

Posted

A good ol' downpour this morning around 9am as the squall came through, with some local flooding in and around Poole/Bournemouth. Hopefully the drains have now taken it away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

sadly still no thunder or lightning here, all those lovely storms of the past few days have missed me.....plenty of rain though, that's for sure!

Posted

A good ol' downpour this morning around 9am as the squall came through, with some local flooding in and around Poole/Bournemouth. Hopefully the drains have now taken it away.

After some speculation by myself, I've come to a conclusion that squalls/lewps, moving west to east are usually poor here. I can only put it down to being within the Purbeck hills, they look great as they're incoming, poor on arrival, then great on the exit. 2mm fell, 1mm of that was from a shower earlier in the morning.PS: Causeway is still flooded, that's the longest period I've known. :O Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

My dad who lives in North Carolina had just text me to tell me that it is currently -15.1c there.... Wish I was there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

And yet more Thunder, yet more Hail, some violent gusts to boot. The stormiest start to a year I can ever remember. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Wow!!! No rain to fall until Wednesday afternoon if  Met Office Radstock  forecast is right.. That is something..

9.9c. At the moment. Partially Cloudy..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Wind, rain, sleet and thunder... right now, here in Henley... phew!

Posted
Lives at risk as floods threaten Dorset coast

London — The Environment Agency warned of life-threatening floods in three places on the Dorset coast on Tuesday as rain and high winds once more pounded southwest England. "We have issued two further severe flood warnings for flooding along the Dorset Coast," the agency said. "In addition to the severe flood warning already in place for Iford Bridge Home Park on the Lower River Stour in Bournemouth, we are warning people along the coast at Preston Beach in the Lodmore area of Weymouth and the Chiswell area near Portland Harbour to expect coastal flooding."

On Monday evening, the agency sounded its flood siren on Chiswell beach with spray crashing over flood defences, according to Weymouth and Portland Coastguard. People living nearby were told by Dorset Police to move to an upstairs room facing away from the sea. Meanwhile, Transport for London said the Thames Barrier in east London has now been closed for the 11th successive tide to avert a risk of flooding to city's wealthy financial sector, focused on the riverside Docklands development.
Earlier, the Environment Agency warned of a risk of flooding around the river's upper reaches between London and the southwest of England.

"Communities in Dorset, Oxfordshire, south Wiltshire, Hampshire and along the river Thames are being urged to remain prepared for more flooding today and the remainder of the week," it said in a statement. "More unsettled weather over the next few days will see rain falling on already saturated ground increasing the chance of flooding," the agency said. The Thames Barrier, opened in 1982, spans 520 metres across the river at Woolwich in east London. When raised, the 10 steel gates stand as high as a five-storey building. Each main gate weighs 3,300 tonnes. Tuesday's operation of the barrier for an 11th tide is approaching the record of 14 tides in a row in January 2003, agency staff said.

In additions to the agency's three severe flood warnings, lower grade flood warnings and flood alerts were in force for another 329 locations spread around all regions of England and Wales. The Met Office predicted heavy showers, sometimes prolonged, across London and South East England on Tuesday. On Tuesday evening heavy rain will spread north before finally clearing away, the national weather service said. Occasional heavy rain is possible in the southeast region on Wednesday, but some eastern areas may actually remain dry, it said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iOiRDYap50JF2iKjXpeiUbkphWNQ?docId=c2d3f1eb-bf4e-4845-9475-7109129ac4ca

Posted

The siren at Portland goes off on normal spring tides to be fair but I guess it makes it more dramatic in the news. hehe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Quite interesting weather this past day or so. Yesterday had winds gusting between 30-35mph on the house all day and evening with even some distant flashes of lightning and one closer one with a rumble of thunder.

Then this morning I was suprised to see a gust of 43mph before a pink coloured flash of lightning happend. There was a period then of winds gusting 30-35mph and at least five more flashes and rumbles of thunder before it cleared up for the rest of the day as breezy weather with sunshine and showers.

The clouds looked pretty interesting and meanacing also, some of them had a very dark purple colour to them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Could there be light at the end of the tunnel?

A change in the hemispheric longwave pattern?

post-12721-0-54579000-1389119570_thumb.jpost-12721-0-25492300-1389119582_thumb.jpost-12721-0-57464900-1389119589_thumb.j

Could we soon be swapping the Wellies for the scarves?

• Like 3

Posted

OMG somebody lit the blue touch paper in the MOD thread it's gone ballistic in there...meanwhile down here where we are more serene, I notice something down in the channel...

• Like 5

Posted

My dad who lives in North Carolina had just text me to tell me that it is currently -15.1c there.... Wish I was there!

My  cousin and her husband farm mussels in Maine. In the sea the mussels are fine  but each day he has to push himself out over the ice in his Kayak, board the mussel barge (a converted landing craft) clear inches of ice from the critical bits of running gear and then drive the boat forward full throttle up and over the ice as an icebreaker before reaching clear water.

Not a job I would fancy at this time of year, so actually glad I am not there! The community in Maine all get together and clear their own snow and ice, no griping that others are not doing it for them. Altogether a different life, perhaps we could learn a bit from them!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

Hi guys and girls, hope all is well. 

Me and a friend have set up a weather station located in Worle, Weston-super-Mare. Its now online, and updates the live weather conditions every 5 minutes.

Please feel free to take a look :)

We are also on Twitter as @westonweather

website is www.westonweather.co.uk

The site is still being tweaked a little and any feed back would be very much appreciated! 

Thanks guys :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

My  cousin and her husband farm mussels in Maine. In the sea the mussels are fine  but each day he has to push himself out over the ice in his Kayak, board the mussel barge (a converted landing craft) clear inches of ice from the critical bits of running gear and then drive the boat forward full throttle up and over the ice as an icebreaker before reaching clear water. Not a job I would fancy at this time of year, so actually glad I am not there! The community in Maine all get together and clear their own snow and ice, no griping that others are not doing it for them. Altogether a different life, perhaps we could learn a bit from them!

That is a bit much definitely! I think the river at the back of the house is frozen but its just nice to look at, not a pain in any way!Nice and calm here, no wind or rain.... Nice....

Posted

OMG somebody lit the blue touch paper in the MOD thread it's gone ballistic in there...

You can't blame them, Mulls is going skiing after all :lol: Edited by dec10snow