Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 1/1/14 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Sandbanks under siege again at mid day high tide

post-16760-0-95147900-1389013041_thumb.j

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Absolutely glorious day on IOW today

11.9*c   January? really is it January? 

http://driftwoodbeachbar.com/webcam/

http://www.camscape.com/view/33889

May all the past few weeks of troubles be forgotten and look forward to the crisp mornings and scraping the ice off our cars, no doubt we shall all moan about that too cuz we get cold hands and cold feet lol, i no i will Posted Image

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 1

Posted

Fascinating morning out working with downpours racing SSW-NNE but clouds in between moving more WSW-ENE. It's amazing how wet you can get in less than 5 minutes which happened 3 times through the morning, then the strong gusting mild wind dried me out in between!

It seems the showers are developing just inland from the Dorset coast and intensifying rapidly as they cross into Somerset/Wiltshire.

Just had a biblical storm of rain and hail from a very local storm that tracked up from the SW. 4mm in 5minutes and large hail to boot with gusts approaching 40mph. No thunder though.

How large was the hail Gibby?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Looking at the Meto invent radar, there could be some mega squall features & storms stretching down NE/SW in line throughout the rest of the day and through the night into tomorrow morning.

Looks very interesting due example in the early morning tomorrow for a liken roughly London heading SW towards Dorset.

Will post more later as on the train at the moment.

Here's a snapshot at 06:00 tomorrow morning for example;

post-12721-0-30633500-1389018976_thumb.j

Edited by AWD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Been down to Kimmeridge, some cracking waves breaking on the ledges further out. Sustained winds of 45mph on my anemometer. I got some good pics, I'll upload them after the camera has recharged. :)

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some impressive heavy downpours through the day. Giving flash flooding and yet more flooding woes around here. Was a lovely sunrise yesterday morning down in Marlborough for the annual balloonist meet called "Icicle" we even got a frost!!

post-15543-0-20915400-1389022008_thumb.j post-15543-0-70939200-1389022060_thumb.jpost-15543-0-10325800-1389022108_thumb.j

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Hail from a particularly nasty shower about half an hour ago.

post-8165-0-84919100-1389026752_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Moon is out. Some cloud.  F2 Light Breeze. 8.9c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Stonking hail showers on/off for most of this afternoon in Bournemouth.

.2 of a mm from showers today, unless something worthy happens, the yellow warning was in the wrong place IMO.
  • Like 1

Posted

Yep agree there? Barely seen a drop of rain, although the radar seems to be gathering some momentum in the channel.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a brief monsoon for a few mins, torrential rain with very large drops. Station reckons max rain rate was 81.6mm/hr

Just under a rain rate of 84.6mm/hr recorded at 10:20 this morning, which I wasn't here for but when I got home found had given a new record high gust for my station!!

51mph beating 50mph in Jan 2012 and 48mph recorded a few times this December. Very brief too as it didn't really make the average wind rise. Wonder what caused that, would have liked to have seen it.  Did see some impressive waves in Sidmouth earlier though with very windy conditions.

Apparently a sefric from another shower to my NW recently, though wasn't looking out the window so I didn't see anything. My mum said she saw lightning flashing last night from a cell out in the channel (at least 10 flashes) though I was asleep for most of it and only saw 1 flash. That's the 3rd day this year with distant lightning flashes seen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Just had a flash of lightning to my southwest, with a rumble of thunder after. Looks quite angry on the radar approaching my location.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The second nearby Thunder event for today has passed by, although I didn't hear it this time, the lofted hail clattering the windows and gusts of wind associated with it almost made my pain from toothache disappear. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Yep agree there? Barely seen a drop of rain, although the radar seems to be gathering some momentum in the channel.

My wife couldn't believe we were being hammered with squalls of hail and heavy rain, in Bournemouth, whilst at home in Poole all was calm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

12z EURO4 output suggestive of "lines" of showers and possible storms forming overnight and into early tomorrow morning across the region;

post-12721-0-78105300-1389032301_thumb.jpost-12721-0-23725000-1389032308_thumb.jpost-12721-0-29304600-1389032312_thumb.j

Meaning some places could see frequent and/or prolonged downpours streaming SW/NE whilst places a few miles either side of these "lines" may see little or nothing at all. Something like this:

post-12721-0-08959000-1389032397_thumb.j

Worth noting, the signal remains for a noticeable line of storms/downpours during early tomorrow morning roughly running down from London - Hampshire - SE Dorset.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

12z EURO4 output suggestive of "lines" of showers and possible storms forming overnight and into early tomorrow morning across the region;

Posted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

Meaning some places could see frequent and/or prolonged downpours streaming SW/NE whilst places a few miles either side of these "lines" may see little or nothing at all. Something like this:

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Worth noting, the signal remains for a noticeable line of storms/downpours during early tomorrow morning roughly running down from London - Hampshire - SE Dorset.

On that last image, it will be like roulette, what should I choose BLACK or RED? Posted Image Joking aside, I know what you mean, the radar echoes today have suggested showers in streets and with 5mm coming from them today in my location I can anticipate more overnight.  Thanks for your updates as ever AWD. Posted ImageThankfully for those effected by the flooding a drier spell will be forthcoming from around the 9th January (who mentioned this date before? Posted Image,I apologise profusely for blowing my own trumpet here) and it's just probable the interlude won't last long I'm afraid, then again the Jet will have weakened somewhat.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm growing concerned my rain gauge is playing up actually, not measured anything today, just had a heavy, albeit very brief shower, still 0.00mm? Really cant be bothered to go out and drag it in, but looks like I'm going to have to! Posted Image

Posted

It has been surprisingly dry and quite sunny in swanage today, good walking weather to admire the waves at pevril point, the bay being east facing was calmer than the forecast suggested.

Posted

Panic over, I'm measuring 1mm, whoop whoopPosted Image

• Like 1