Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 1/1/14 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

We were here in clear blue skies and sunshine whilst many of you were being dumped on, now we've had a bit of the same.  Torrential rain, small hail and strong gusts too, temp went down like a stone, but is getting back up again now.

Typically, it's recycling day here today and, in spite of putting a heavy stone on the bottle/can box, the wind still managed to whip the lid off and take it flying down the road!

Edited by Lyn-M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

not much here on west mendip ,had some moderate showers earlier with gusty winds ,looks like this afternoon early evening could get interesting ,and possibly some very hvy rain sat morning ,then more sun/mon ,stay safe .Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!

Just had an almighty crack of thunder and lightening strike oustide our office in Christchurch. I've never heard thunder so loud. Power briefly went out too.

• Like 2

Posted

i have never in my life seen that kind of weather before ...golfball sized hail ..close cg .inch and a half of hail on the roads ectect damage to roofs ectect...some real nasty nasty stuff ..the pic below is stolen from fb showing the size of the hail....

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

i have never in my life seen that kind of weather before ...golfball sized hail ..close cg .inch and a half of hail on the roads ectect damage to roofs ectect...some real nasty nasty stuff ..the pic below is stolen from fb showing the size of the hail....

Yep, impressive hail for only January 3rd, I wonder what the rest of the year holds. Posted Image  Just goes to show we don't need heat and humidity to kick such violent weather. Can't wait to see the other Andy's pictures too.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very jealous of the storms further inland this morning. What's weird is that they took a very summerlike track and have kept intensity right across to NW London. Not the traditional Bristol Channel showery day unfortunately.

Posted

Rumble of thunder just now in North Hampshire! ....getting much darker....and the radar shot to our south-west looks to be  promising and intensifying.

Worried though about the amount of rain that we will get from these showers, combined with that forecast for tomorrow morning and Sunday. Already lots of standing water and full watercourses in this area.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Weird-weather-conditions-batter-Castle-Cary/story-20396606-detail/story.html

Glad I was indoors at the time.  I have some video footage on my phone of the huge hail coming down and bouncing around the garden, I'll try and get it uploaded later.

Edited by Bumpkin
  • Like 1

Posted

just been ontop of the roof and we have about 40% cracked tiles ..when in the uk do we have hail bigenough and fast enough to crack roof tiles ..my raingauge has a hole punched right throu it :( few cars with slight dents in the roof and one sunroof put throu ...mad mad mad

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
The Netatmo station is bang on with the forecast icon, had thunder & lightning again, as well as torrential rain.

post-15177-0-35071100-1388752361_thumb.p

The causeway between Wareham and Stoborough flooded, had to divert back around the bypass, I'll walk down and get some pics in a tick.

Second batch of thunder & lightning! Posted Image

Hail and forked lightning! Wool!
Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Jeez! 76 mph gust here in Plymouth think that trumps the wind we had on the 23rd! The doors here in work are rattling!

The Netatmo station is bang on with the forecast icon, had thunder & lightning again, as well as torrential rain.

The causeway between Wareham and Stoborough, had to divert back around the bypass, I'll walk down and get some pics in a tick.

Second batch of thunder & lightning! Posted Image

Hail and forked lightning! Wool!

Noticed on new year it was starting to fill up down there. Has the Quay gone under?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Jeez! 76 mph gust here in Plymouth think that trumps the wind we had on the 23rd! The doors here in work are rattling!

Noticed on new year it was starting to fill up down there. Has the Quay gone under?

Yep, the water is in the carpark, the granary has the flood door shut as water is lapping up to it, the causeway is completely cut off.

That was an insane thundershower, the winds went wild, 60mph+  - a complete whiteout with hail.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Incredible wind gusts after the squall line had passed here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

Big flash and boom here just a moment ago, incredible wind gusts as it passed through, what an eventful day this is turning into!!

• Like 4

Posted

Can confirm 2cm plus hail here at 10.00 ish together with plenty of lightning. I expect there was damage in places with hail that size.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

very dark here and wind has really picked up

local radio said the needles reported a gust of 106mph at noon

Yep confirmed on BBC Twitter feed also

Posted

Very interesting posts by Andy Pepler and Chapmanslade regarding hail size/damage.

I only have once decent photo which is of the hailstones I ventured out to bring indoors while they were battering down lol. They are sat on a tea plate. 

post-107-0-90498600-1388755799_thumb.jpg

I also agree with MPR about the storm tracks being very summerlike and for hail this size the CBs have to be massive so surely there are very very rare atmospheric conditions today. 

Edited by Andy Bown
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Weird-weather-conditions-batter-Castle-Cary/story-20396606-detail/story.html

Glad I was indoors at the time.  I have some video footage on my phone of the huge hail coming down and bouncing around the garden, I'll try and get it uploaded later.

Thanks for this Bumpkin, I found it worthy of sharing on LinkedIn. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

just been ontop of the roof and we have about 40% cracked tiles ..when in the uk do we have hail bigenough and fast enough to crack roof tiles ..my raingauge has a hole punched right throu it Posted Image few cars with slight dents in the roof and one sunroof put throu ...mad mad mad

I've liked your post but clearly not for your current predicament, I hope things improve quickly for you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

Just travelled from ours to Bournemouth, lots of surface water and several big tree branches snapped clean off. River levels very high