Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Trough into Europe in the semi reliable from the farcically capricious GFS. That alone should give hope to our coldie brethren. Always a good sign.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Some improvements on this run, including signs of that Northern Italian low which Carinthian mentioned earlier setting up and a negatively tilted trough, along with a slight westwards correction. The problem perhaps with an overly 'negative' trough rather than vertical is that the pattern is a bit too far north for us at the moment so we'd probably need another bite (since the 'second' low phases stopping that opportunity for Atlantic amplification on this run) but upstream it looks like we could get there with the next low, which is pretty well oriented at +144:

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

LP seemingly wants to hang around in the Atlantic for days on end like the local town looney

Posted Image

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

What specifically confuses you? The 2nd chart is the anomaly chart (the difference from normal, not the actual temperature) if that helps?

but if we take the models at face value then the colder air is a bigger swath of eastern Europe and north eastern Europe.

but then again it is the gfs 6z and I expect it will change by the morning thanks nick l.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Will we see an Atlantic ridge, joining up with the surface high to the north? Now that would be interesting!

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

LP seemingly wants to hang around in the Atlantic for days on end like the local town looney

Posted Image

it really has nowhere to go its homeless by the looks of things.

lovely much better

Posted Image

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted

it really has nowhere to go its homeless by the looks of things.

If we go down this route it's imperative that we get the amplification behind that low....otherwise it's curtains. A high risk- high reward scenario unfolding here.

The much maligned Azores high may play an important role here by supporting the heights to the N if we see a chance of amplification behind that detached low a la 12z.....something the GEM saw first on its 12z run yesterday?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

You would expect GFS FI to go on to be cold and blocked with low pressure undercutting and reinforcing the blocking pattern but you never know with GFS low res. The important thing is the hi res looks very good and if things keep trending that way we should be on our way to being able to say the cold is coming around mid Jan or there about.

• Like 6

Posted

Its going under but very slowly!! 

Posted Image

Lovely chart at 216hrs! Scandi high with undercutting low, the cold should flood our way!

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Shaping up to be perhaps the first stella FI (providing low res doesn't find a way to screw it up). As CC said high risk but high reward stuff, without either the following low or the one after that carving out more amplification and without the lowering of heights into Europe it could easily go the other way but this time it just about looks to work out:

Posted Image

Has a real look of last January about it with height rises just enough sufficient to deflect the jet on a NW-SE trajectory, at least as a starting point:

Posted Image

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I hope this is not a daft question, but the GFS 12Z 850mb/sea level run suggests a rapid decline of the cold that has been parked over Canada and the north US for ages. Is this significant?

My understanding is that it will aid the weakening of the Jet from the rampaging type which it is now. As a result I believe WAA (warm air advection) may drift North ahead a developing High Pressure cell in the Western end of the Atlantic. Someone, please correct me if my understanding of this is incorrect.

• Like 1

Posted

Its going under but very slowly!! 

Posted Image

We need to see a wedge of heights forced NW from there with the Atlantic jet continued to be forced under this wedge. Any sinkage of heights SE won't be good as it'll let zonality back in.

• Like 2

Posted

Lots of cold air getting where we want it but can we get it this way, very interested as to what the UKMO’s take on this will be this evening as the GFS is millimetres off a full blown easterly on this run, when I say full blown, it’s a Scandi one at least.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 1

Posted

...AND Atlantic ridge linking with Scandi high, what I was talking about a few minutes ago!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

to be fair if the last chart of the run is to be correct then theres only one way it can go that's a big if with the gfs but south east into Europe with ridge in a good area into scandi problem is will it be a strong ridge or just surface ridge. still better run from the gfs.

Posted Image

Posted

Lots of cold air getting where we want it but can we get it this way, very interested as to what the UKMO’s take on this will be this evening as the GFS is millimetres off a full blown easterly on this run.

Pity it's such a poor model though, because this chart looks like we might be starting to get somewhere at last...maybe a blue moon event tho, you never know.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

LOL true to form GFS FI is a joke and is wrong even in the first few frames IMO. Don't know why I even looked at it. Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Posted Image

For me, this is often a sign that the GFS is toying with the idea of reverse zonality, i.e. potential for Easterly flow thereafter. Posted Image It's as if the GFS is asking itself, just where do I put yet another surface feature, that'll do I'll plonk in Mid Atlantic. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

And ukmo is slow to get out the blocks once again!!this happens everyday and its getting a bit ridiculous now!!

where are you viewing the 12z UKMO?

Posted

...AND Atlantic ridge linking with Scandi high, what I was talking about a few minutes ago!

Posted Image

Interestingly the Korean long range model is going for such a set up but from mid February. Interesting developments but I feel it's a little too progressive, I feel we'll end up in no mans land until the latter part of this month before we start seeing much stronger heights to NE pushing westwards.

• Like 1