Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014010706/gfsnh-0-144.png?6

finally after days of GFS misery the model puts 2+2 & lands @ 4 instead of 7.

Wedge of high pressure into the right location.

S

The question is, can we get an undercut out of this GFS? Don't know too much about jet profiles but it seems to be heading deep South and East around 180h

Edited by Cumulonimbus Tower

Posted

Yet another change from the GFS and this lack of continuity between outputs shows just how much small changes over the ne USA make a big difference for the UK.

I don't mind all this volatility as long as the final solution is the most amplified one!

• Like 6

Posted

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014010706/gfsnh-0-144.png?6

finally after days of GFS misery the model puts 2+2 & lands @ 4 instead of 7.

Wedge of high pressure into the right location.

S

Is that really the 06z or have you been at the control's?Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted

It gets silly once it goes in to the low res part of the run but i've seen enough to be happier again :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

Good to see low pressure taking hold over southern Europe for the end of 6z run. Gives some hope that even if we don't get this bite of the cherry we are looking as a pattern change that makes a bit of decent cold more likley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Models pretty lacklustre this morning for coldies, but I am expecting some interesting developments come the evening runs. Need the USA to warm up and weaken the jet stream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=310&y=140 (South-East England)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=189&y=176 (South-West England)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=264&y=2 (Northern England)

Blocking becoming more and more widespread in the GFS ensembles, and this is starting to be reflected in the 850 temperatures, with some fantastic cold runs here. However, we have all been here before so we need to watch closely and refrain from getting too carried away. 

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS 06z shows parts of the UK becoming cooler during the next 8 days with blues replacing the reds though the south does remain slightly above average, across the majority of mainland Europe the picture remains unchanged with temps remaining above average

Posted Image

Normal temps left expected temps right

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

GFS 06z shows parts of the UK becoming cooler during the next 8 days with blues replacing the reds though the south does remain slightly above average, across the majority of mainland Europe the picture remains unchanged with temps remaining above average

Posted Image

Normal temps left expected temps right

Posted ImagePosted Image

thats how things are prog, at present however I think by latter this week things may look a whole lot more chilly? :
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks for the update Corinthian.

Just had a look at the surface pressure ensembles for Vienna and Madrid, remember we want the pressure to be low in these locations as an indicator that the cold air might be advected Eastwards.

Vienna is currently at 1020mb, the good news is, there is decent support for pressure to drop fairly significantly over the next ten days, which backs up Corinthians snow forecast for the Eastern Alps.

Madrid, however, is not as clear cut. Pressure is also around 1020mb at present there but there is more divergence in the ensembles although the majority do drop pressure there and a couple significantly.

All in all, positive signs for cold and lets hope the 12z's steady the ship.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Well, in the last few years we have had the coldest Nov/Dec for decades, and the coldest March for a century...I think we need the coldest ever Feb to get this forum into full swing!!! Epic cold= happy forum.

-----------------------

I will do my best.

Yours sincerely,

Jack Frost.

------------------------

I don't know about anyone else, but I always love a period of uncertainty in the models, as it is like searching for pieces of the puzzle to finish and witness the final outcome!

Hopefully that outcome is like piecing together a 3D snowman rather than a 4 piece picture puzzle of a rusty train.

I won't repeat what others have already have said, other than that at least we have some interesting charts to discuss and debate, rather than the inevitable chain of lows turning my garden into a pile of slurry.

Posted

If someone offered me a negative tilt trough  further to the west and even more amplification over the ne USA I will happily put my last pound on a  cold outcome for the UK. So I think you can see how important that is!

We are getting to the point now where we should start to see the models come together to at least decide on the upstream pattern as the key detail is really quite close.

We're into the T96hrs range where that amplified wave starts to move across towards the ne USA so really we should hope for agreement on that tonight. Theres still room for more amplification or less, its on a knife edge.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1