Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Another poor outlook from the models tonight. The thing that's more concerning is the rainfall that looks like battering us for a good few weeks yet. Just wish the models would show us some dry weather for a few weeks. But that looks like wishful thinking right now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Latest temperature outlook from GFS for the next 8 days and parts of the north and east are now showing some blues and greys along with all of Ireland so slightly below average is possible here but in general the picture is unchanged with the vast majority of Europe staying above average

Posted Image

Normal temps left expected temps right

That first chart which you've posted there as you know SS is clearly one of my personal favourites Posted Image NOT!  Can you make sure you continue to post these up when the entrenched cold eventually returns (hopefully) to mainland Europe and in turn our shores come the second half of Winter. Posted Image Those charts may well indicate the current situation in a true blood red colour but I am left wondering whether the global weather has resorted to an Australian Summer-like pattern, perhaps we can blame the cricketers down under for the redness, somebody bring on the Winter blues......... Also, good to see the GFS returning to normality (yes that is a subjective comment) after its weekend dramas once again. I await the various ensemble spreads with anticipation for further wintry hope and hopefully upgrades. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

Why would he be ecstatic, just wondering? to see heights shunted east, the Atlantic sweeping through and a return to general zonality.. I'd have thought that would make him rather sad. 

I would imagine it might be because the GFS has changed in it's position to a more meridional flow relative to previous output, which Steve has been predicting through many of his nuanced analysis of model output over the last several days.

Edited by Cumulonimbus Tower
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GEM 12z offers an interesting solution which seems to use trends from all the models to end up with the azores ridge linking over the top of a developing sceuro trough to the residual heights in n scandi. that allows for an initial scandi heights rise, a progressive atlantic moving w-e and an eventual result of high heights to our north and low ones to our south. everyone wins !!

I can only see the 0z, on both Wetter and Meteociel. Where you viewing this?

Posted

GEM 12z offers an interesting solution which seems to use trends from all the models to end up with the azores ridge linking over the top of a developing sceuro trough to the residual heights in n scandi. that allows for an initial scandi heights rise, a progressive atlantic moving w-e and an eventual result of high heights to our north and low ones to our south. everyone wins !!

The GEM 12z is stuck at T60 on meteotciel and wetter, is it fully out elsewhere?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/geme_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&carte=1&archive=0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

You never have anything positive and upbeat to say about chances of. Old and snow so why not lighten up and listen to what Steve says who knows more than most on here inc you and me

Really no point snipping at each other, as it wont change the model output and its very annoying for those who want to read what the models are saying and learn by the more experienced posters!!!Posted Image

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 4

Posted

I can only see the 0z, on both Wetter and Meteociel. Where you viewing this?

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=en&map=eur&run=12&mod=gemglb&stn=PNM&comp=1&run2=12&mod2=gemglb&stn2=PNM&hh2=000&fixhh=1&hh=240

Always seems to be out earlier on there

SK

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The most consistent model in the last few weeks at T144 has been the ukmo GFS 00 oz and ECM have been swapping around between 2nd and 3rd. Different story at T120 where ECM rules without question then UKMO. Would be interesting to compare ECM and GFS at T240 which is the point that most posters seem to be looking at. Stats ain't there so we cannot compare.

Posted

Some interesting ensemble members on this run. But no real answer on where any cold will come from.

Posted Image

Posted

Really now point snipping at each other, as it wont change the model output and its very annoying for those who want to read what the models are saying and learn by the more experienced posters!!!Posted Image

It’s a pity everybody can’t just except that others view things differently, after all does it really matter if X or Y thinks one model is better than another, the proof is always in the outcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I must admit the gfs does seem to have a lull in the alantic onslaught but im in agreement in that its terriblr at making longer range developments.

if the gfs ends up being the correct model then of coarse a rethink is needed.

so lets say anything beyond t96 is not really worth getting excited about in regards to the gfs.

although it starts its trend like the ecm and others then goes into hypo mode.

now as I asked earlier is there a possibility that the vortex that's hammering the united states likely to push into the alantic then rehouse its self around Greenland again?

which there fore indicates why the nao and ao go neg then positive this surely is there fore taking into account the gfs run.....

and summer suns European heatwave charts are they also closely related to the gfs output as well because the other models send rather more cold into Russia and mid Europe quicker than summer suns heatwave charts.

even im getting rather confused if the other models do tend to keep the alantic onslaught going then perhaps the cold where all looking for is really a wild goose chase.

and pressure is still high to the south into Europe on all models this is why I feel its a fail for anything colder.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 1

Posted

I wonder whether the UKMO has got the right pattern over the central USA, its much flatter than even the GFS 12hrs run and this then causes less dig south of the jet to the west of the UK.

Hopefully the upstream NOAA discussions will shed some light on this,at one point the UKMO looked better than the GFS but then failed to develop that more amplified wave and we can see what happens over western Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

GFS Ensembles seem to be trending colder with that cold moving down from the north (as seen by the Aberdeen ensembles). A lot of interesting possibles in the perturbations but all very different.

Posted

Interesting to see the GEM now getting it's heights from an atlantic ridge moving out of the western Atlantic from 120h. Very possibly what the UKMO would have been onto if it went out further.....

Posted

The primary issue is how even EC ENS are struggling with the potential nature of amplification (and GFS only now showing signs of wanting to catch-up that broader story, despite normal zonal reset mode later). That, plus further potential drivers thrown into the mix later into Jan-early Feb, mean any meaningful public communication of key expected weather type is almost currently impossible beyond mid-Jan and it's highly unlikely we will be any closer to the likely outcome anytime soon.

By the amount of likes your post has got Ian I expected it to say 1947 is just around the corner, however, it looks like what you are saying is that, what the key weather type will be post mid-month is impossible to say at this point.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting to see the GEM now getting it's heights from an atlantic ridge moving out of the western Atlantic from 120h. Very possibly what the UKMO would have been onto if it went out further.....

Indeed, as BA was kind of saying a bit of a hybrid, better for cold I would say, a route to Crewe’s easterly.