Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

yes all 3 main models suggest what forecasters call a confluent upper trough in about the same place on all 3. From these, surface features can run just ahead of it giving a fair amount of rain, so Met will certainly be watching this probability and their Fax charts show this type of pattern at the surface.

Indeed John, might well be out of the frying pan and into the fire this week, especially for this neck of the woods...hopefully Ian might also be able to shed (no pun intended!) some light on the risks as the MO currently see them.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Looking at the ECM  mean and allowing for a more diffused picture as it takes into account the colder and milder options it does indicate a continental block forming and colder uppers starting to approach the east of the UK.

Comparing day5 and then 10

post-2026-0-08907500-1388927282_thumb.gipost-2026-0-64001800-1388927291_thumb.gi

and the suggestion of the block forcing the Atlantic trough to disrupt se into C.Europe.

post-2026-0-38337600-1388927317_thumb.gi

The fly in the ointment is the GFS ens which still wants to keep the jet over the top and maintaining flat high pressure further south.

day 10

post-2026-0-92938200-1388927536_thumb.pn

so we can see where the split in the ens comes from with the period around days 6-8 where the Atlantic jet shows signs of buckling in the eastern Atlantic-where will main thrust be be beyond this- north or south?

Certainly signs of a slow down in the westerlies continues but the question still to be answered is will we get a Euro high far enough north to get the cold from further east.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 9

Looking at the ECM  mean and allowing for a more cloudy pattern as it takes into account the colder and milder options it does indicate a continental block forming and colder uppers starting to approach the east of the UK.

Comparing day5 and then 10

Posted Image120.GIFPosted Image240.GIF

and the suggestion of the block forcing the Atlantic trough to disrupt se into C.Europe.

Posted ImageEDM1-240.GIF

The fly in the ointment is the GFS ens which still wants to keep the jet over the top and maintaining flat high pressure further south.

day 10

Posted Imagegens-21-1-240.png

so we can see where the split in the ens comes from with the period around days 6-8 where the Atlantic jet shows signs of buckling in the eastern Atlantic-where will main thrust be be beyond this- north or south?

Certainly signs of a slow down in the westerlies continues but the question still to be answered is to we get a Euro high far enough north to get the cold from further east.

Here is the NAEFS also for comparison

Posted ImagePosted Image

Though it has been consistently showing a strengthening in the zonal flow towards the end of the run

Posted ImagePosted Image

Somewhat similar to the GEFS at the same time and the GEM ensembles

Posted Image  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Indeed Shed and had this forum been around then there would have been much despondency, strong PV, big euro high I won’t use the B word, just goes to show what can happen. However things right across the NH were different then, arctic ice extent for one thing, back then sea ice coverage in August was as great as it is now at its greatest winter extent, so the winter ice pack back then must have been vast, I’m sure someone can find some data on that. My own theory and I stress that. Is that there is a correlation between winter sea ice cover and the prevalence of HLB across Greenland and Scandinavia and I seriously doubt if we could get another 47 or 63 unless that changes, leastwise our odds against it are substantially greater now. That of course doesn’t mean we can’t get HLB at all as recent years have shown, just that it’s less likely, certainly less likely to be of that extreme nature.

Sea ice average extent in in the 60s and probably 40s was around 8m in August cf 14m now greatest winter extent.What are you suggesting the Hudson was still frozen in August in the 1940s ?

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

We had the 2nd coldest December (CET) in over 350yrs in 2010 (less summer ice that year) 

So basically get the right synoptics and a 47 or 63 will follow as will 2000 cold records being broken in the USA next week.

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

That's quite a safe thing to say as it looks like midweek is turning very mild again.

It will be nice for these storms to stop. The woods around here are like a swamp. Ever saw some flies in the house the other day!

It will be interesting to see the next move from the GFS. It seems to have a bias of placing lows two far east from what I've seen over the last month, but other than that, I'm not experienced enough to judge its performance.

Posted

Darren Bett who was doing the week ahead forecast on BBC 1 said turning colder next weekend at the end of the forecast just before 13:15 how cold who knows but confidence must be growing at Exeter now for a change next weekend

I remember Derek on BBC Wales hinting at the possibility of colder conditions to come in a piece at the end of November. He was referring to the Dec ~6th cold snap, which barely materialised for most of us. The models really led us astray on that event.

Posted

Sea ice average extent in in the 60s and probably 40s was around 8m in August cf 14m now greatest winter extent.What are you suggesting the Hudson was still frozen in August in the 1940s ?

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

We had the 2nd coldest December (CET) in over 350yrs in 2010 (less summer ice that year) 

So basically get the right synoptics and a 47 or 63 will follow as will 2000 cold records being broken in the USA next week.

I was talking about overall ice extent not specific areas, and I did say I could be wrong but I'd be willing to put a fair bit on the fact that we won’t see that kind of 47 63 spell in the rest of my life time, unless we see changes in the arctic, mainly because I think changes in sea ice cover are altering synoptic patterns over this side of the Atlantic, I could go on but it’s not the place, you obviously think differently fair enough.  I did find these, I trust that they are correct, and of as now.

post-6751-0-39060600-1388934041_thumb.gi

post-6751-0-95118300-1388934341_thumb.jp

Edited by weather eater

Posted

I was talking about overall ice extent not specific areas, and I did say I could be wrong but I'd be willing to put a fair bit on the fact that we won’t see that kind of 47 63 spell in the rest of my life time, unless we see changes in the arctic, mainly because I think changes in sea ice cover are altering synoptic patterns over this side of the Atlantic, I could go on but it’s not the place, you obviously think differently fair enough.  I did find these, I trust that they are correct, and of as now.

Thats probably related to the AMO, which impacts Arctic ice as well.

Check wikipedia for it. You can probably match colder UK winters to it. Assuming you have 5-10 years left, you should see it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Darren Bett who was doing the week ahead forecast on BBC 1 said turning colder next weekend at the end of the forecast just before 13:15 how cold who knows but confidence must be growing at Exeter now for a change next weekend

Friends in Poland just eee mailed me ,they are expecting frigid temp to set in round about the 13th .

Posted

Thats probably related to the AMO, which impacts Arctic ice as well.Check wikipedia for it. You can probably match colder UK winters to it. Assuming you have 5-10 years left, you should see it

Ha not if we don't get off this subject I will get shot by the mods 5-10 years more like 5-10 mins.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

From the models it does look as though any real freeze has been pushed back to February when things finally warm up over the states and a block to our east develops bringing in a month of deep winter for coldies to enjoy. Until then, more of the same, although we may find more frequent NW outbreaks bringing wintry showers later this month. So don't put away the deicer, thermals, etc just yet.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

From the models it does look as though any real freeze has been pushed back to February when things finally warm up over the states and a block to our east develops bringing in a month of deep winter for coldies to enjoy. Until then, more of the same, although we may find more frequent NW outbreaks bringing wintry showers later this month. So don't put away the deicer, thermals, etc just yet.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Just curious, but which models? 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just curious, but which models? 

GFS, ECM..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS 12z much more progressive with cutting off the flow to the ridging to the north of the UK. At least 36 hours earlier than the 0z, and that restores the westerly surface flow . T138:

post-14819-0-01276800-1388938287_thumb.p  Very flat.

See if a second shot appears after T200.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

GFS 12z much more progressive with cutting off the flow to the ridging to the north of the UK. At least 36 hours earlier than the 0z, and that restores the surface flow over the top. T138:

Posted Imagegfs-0-138 (1).png  Very flat.

See if a second shot appears after T200.

Interestingly has -5 850hPa air flirting with the north west of the UK by next fri/sat though.....

Edited by Cumulonimbus Tower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Most models only go as far out as 10 days ahead, with the GFS going out to 14 days, which at most takes us up to the 19th January, so how can you know what February will be like? Posted Image Unless your basing it on the CFS which has been useless this winter.

Ought to change its name to CFG - Chocolate Fire Guard!

• Like 5