Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

heights into Greenland at 264 ish and we're in business!!!

We're not in business !!!!!!!!!

Poor pub run, back into more storms and westerlies, relentless!!

Edited by Ali1977

Posted

heights into Greenland at 264 ish and we're in business!!!

We're not in business !!!!!!!!!

Poor pub run, back into more storms and westerlies, relentless!!

lol, nice edit Posted Image

Yep, we're back on the zonal express with this run! Pretty dire all round,

Another 'black' storm wanting to invade us yet again, into FI

Posted Image

Edited by draztik
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well the 18z run is horrible. Sorry can't post charts as on mobile. But after a quieter spell next week. We are then back into a westerly flow with yet more heavy rain and storms. Think the cold in the states this winter is going to kill any chance of winter in the uk. With a strong jet stream been powered straight across the Atlantic.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM short ens not like last nights .infact pretty average .

And a 18z GFS that wants to bring the vortex back to life ,if this happens as the 18z ,cold winter weather going to become difficult to find in January .

Needless to say ,tick,tick jan...feb...ma

Edited by cold snap
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

lol, nice edit Posted Image

Yep, we're back on the zonal express with this run! Pretty dire all round,

Another 'black' storm wanting to invade us yet again, into FI

Posted Image

Not worth the price of electricity used to compute it though.

We need to focus on hi res for the moment I think given that's where we have our window of opportunity.

In that respect this run ws another step in the right direction with the ridge slightly further West and pressure falling away to the South.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Well a good pub run for eventuall zonal,but it will all change again tomorrow no doubt .still think something is out there ,patience required [HURRY UP PLEASE ]Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Please atmosphere ,do something about the deep cold in the states .

With this constantly remaining intact ,going to be difficult to grind out any pattern ,we are just getting there left over weather ,that's completely modified

Edited by cold snap

Posted

I see nothing positive in the output! The cold plunge in Scandinavia looks very temporary as the jet stream will easily push it eastwards.  

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted

Not worth the price of electricity used to compute it though.

We need to focus on hi res for the moment I think given that's where we have our window of opportunity.

In that respect this run ws another step in the right direction with the ridge slightly further West and pressure falling away to the South.

Hmm, must admit, if it took any step it was tentative at best...

Mucka, I'd like cold just as much as you. But I'm still not on board! Lets see some continuity between the models. I also don't like where the ext ecm ens are headed... coupled with the teleconnections still not in my view favourable for cold at present.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Heres the ECM op from earlier, and the GFS 18z... both showing 6-10 day heights.... I mean, seriously!!! What gives. Until we see some mergence how can anyone get excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

That's ok. The GFS can show more wet and windy weather all it likes that far into FI, because that means it is unlikely to verify at that range right? Posted ImagePosted Image

I know it is a different set up, but back in December we had the runs showing a sceuro high stuck right from T+0 to T+384....why can't this change within a few days like it did back then? I didn't think that just because our prevailing weather is from the W/SW, meant the models were more reliable for it? Or am I wrong?

I do agree though - until something reduces that temperature contrast over the States, a powerful Jet Stream isn't going to be helpful. However as others have stated, the trend is there for potential weakening and buckling of the flow.

I know people will be sick of hearing this word now, but I think we need to be 'patient' and see what the models show in a weeks times....and also prevent ourselves doing this in the meantime...

Posted Image

If we are nowhere clearer/better off then, I hold no responsibility for broken computer equipment.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted

Hmm, must admit, if it took any step it was tentative at best...

Mucka, I'd like cold just as much as you. But I'm still not on board! Lets see some continuity between the models. I also don't like where the ext ecm ens are headed... coupled with the teleconnections still not in my view favourable for cold at present.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Heres the ECM op from earlier, and the GFS 18z... both showing 6-10 day heights.... I mean, seriously!!! What gives. Until we see some mergence how can anyone get excited.

doesn't really matter but I bet you a tenner that ECM 5 day average is closer to reality than the 18 z gfs op!
  • Like 7

Posted

doesn't really matter but I bet you a tenner that ECM 5 day average is closer to reality than the 18 z gfs op!

The way the ECM has been behaving, I accept :)

But seriously, we have to temper our expectations. Really frustrates me when the GFS is routinely panned.

As ever, its over to the morning runs now. More fun & games.

• Like 1

Posted

Mucka, you always sound excited ;)

I see your charts, and appreciate the point you're making. I just have this impression that because the ECM has shown us a bright spark, the forum has gone into overload. And any posts to the contrary, are hounded!

Anyway, like I said, hopefully tomo can bring us more light.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not posted for a while, been taking a back seat, delving into the strat thread also, nowhere near being able to comment in there, but very interesting all the same.

I think with the jet forecasted to weaken in speed somewhat in the next week or so, it could well be when we start to see some more positive outlooks for cold creeping in the models.

Still way to early to be writing winter off IMO, especially considering how far winter stretched last year.

Much prefer cold in late jan/Feb myself, always more fruitful. With the sea temps be above average surrounding the uk, if we can get an easterly or North easterly, surely great ingredients for big showers!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Mucka, you always sound excited Posted Image

I see your charts, and appreciate the point you're making. I just have this impression that because the ECM has shown us a bright spark, the forum has gone into overload. And any posts to the contrary, are hounded!

I'm not sure why you feel GFS is being panned or that you are being hounded from what I posted?

I really don't think people are over excited either, expectations seem pretty well in check for the most part and people can't be blamed for gleaning any positives and taking what joy they can from any favourable output given the winter we have had. Anyway people seem more than happy to call infinite zonal at the first opportunity based on much flimsier evidence - probably just frustration.

Sure I am looking for positives rather than negatives but I am not calling something that isn't there and don't forget the MetO are talking of the possibility of colder conditions arriving and Ian has said there are now signs in the longer range output of blocking that wasn't there before. 

I think the output is going to bounce around for the next couple of days and we can but hope for some cold weather - nothing to terrible about that.

ECM 12z ensembles are a bit disappointing but let's not throw in the towel just yet.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

In realism, I don't think the 00runsz will evaluate things.However I do beleive the nxt 24/48 hrs will.and to add imo whether bias or otherwise, that the convenience will be in favour of the colder favour.with NE variables more influencing than NW consider....

Posted

Mucka, you always sound excited Posted Image

The ECM hasn't avoided criticism over the winter so far, I've trashed it aswell! I am consistent though with my disdain for the GFS lower resolution,and have been for years.

The problem is that with four runs a day you're always likely to have some huge swings, and if any sort of blocking is shown to the east or ne its likely to go completely off the rails.

In terms of recent performance especially upstream the ECM has done very well and recovered its reputation somewhat, the inland runner low which was quite a complex affair was modelled very well by it whilst the GFS was hopeless. So its back in my good books for the timebeing!

We'll see how things play out over the coming days, should be interesting.

• Like 7

Posted

More clueless nonsense from the GFS lower resolution.I could stick up the four different GFS runs for today in the lower resolution, take your pick as to what you fancy.

You can have zonal, blocking, etc etc just pick a synoptic I'm sure the GFS will do its best to deliver.Seriously I hope people aren't reaching for the Prozac because of the GFS lower resolution.

Leaving aside the ensembles, I think I’ve said what I wanted about them and leaving aside the GFS as a model in isolation, the clear trend as it appears to me at the moment, derived at from viewing the operational runs of the models over the last few days, that’s across the main three models (ECM, GFS, UKMO) or main two post 144hrs is, zonal though less vigorous than of late for a few days yet, then possible MLB of some sort, certainly some kind of break from all out zonal for a short while, then the Atlantic will come back in. There have been of course other ideas floated by various platforms not to mention other people, but that looks to me the most likely evolution at this point of time.

Posted

I for one would put no more faith in the ECM ens than any other model or forecasts.

A downward trend appeared a couple of weeks or so back and that fizzled out to

nothing.

Judging by the stratosphere forecasts from the GFS it has also all but fizzled out to

nothing along with my expectations for cold for later this month. Talk about wind ups

to offer something of a major change in the pipeline  during such a winter we are

having and then to back track like it has.

It will be worth giving this another 24 hours and seeing what the ECM strat forecasts

are tomorrow but I have a growing feeling this is a red herring.

The Mogreps that have started to jump ship to a colder pattern may have done so

when the ship has already sailed.I do not expect to see much in the way of excitment

in the tomorrow although of course I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Nick, do you think we would see awful flip flopping in later timeframes as per gfs if the ecm ran 4 times per day?

The ECM hasn't avoided criticism over the winter so far, I've trashed it aswell! I am consistent though with my disdain for the GFS lower resolution,and have been for years.The problem is that with four runs a day you're always likely to have some huge swings, and if any sort of blocking is shown to the east or ne its likely to go completely off the rails.In terms of recent performance especially upstream the ECM has done very well and recovered its reputation somewhat, the inland runner low which was quite a complex affair was modelled very well by it whilst the GFS was hopeless. So its back in my good books for the timebeing!We'll see how things play out over the coming days, should be interesting.

Edited by Richie V

Posted

Hi Nick, do you think we would see awful flip flopping in later timeframes as per gfs if the ecm ran 4 times per day?

I'm sure Nick will say something when he's available, but I'm sure the answer will be yes, especially if it went as far out as the GFS, wisely the programmers restricted it to 240hrs and that’s still stretching it IMO.