Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Aahhh the good old 'it's been like this for x amount of weeks so it'll carry on like this for eternity' forecasting method. Think I'll stick with the pros at the Metoffice, thanks. You never know, perhaps now Christmas is over, the vortex will stop making its 'presents' felt.

There is a little value in forecasting by persistence and the pros will use it to some extent. One measure of the quality of a forecast is whether it can beat both persistence and climatology. If both are better, the method tested obviously does not look too clever!

Posted

UK weather 2 to 3 weeks down the line?!Well, i havent a clue! have you?

I think the clue now BB is in the deep low exiting the NE states and what it does as has been discussed and postulated by Nick S and Steve M coming into the 96 to 144 period. Not so far FI that we won't have an answer over the next 24 hr period. 

• Like 1

Posted

the extended ecm ens graphs are fairly revealing.  about a 50/50 split now on madrid being damp through week 2 and rome up to around 35% less settled.  the siberian express calling at warsaw and then berlin is gathering bookings in comparison with yesterday but looks no more than a 25% shot currently.  london does go cold through week 2 though scatter returns by days 14/15.  plenty of ice days in there compared to what we've become used to from the model.  as phil alludes above - are these proper easterlies with possible snowfall or just slack continental drifts (as the 00z op shows with an ice day day 10). thats two ecm suites on the same trend. really need naefs to come on board.  if ecm stays solid on this trend over the next three or four days and naefs refuses to join the party, the difference can only be ecm's better modelling of the upper strat.   as ever, plenty to be looking at.

• Like 9

Posted

All in all, a very confused picture has emerged. After a dogs dinner from this mornings ecm, its ext ensembles offer support for some form of block to our NE. This is in stark contrast to naefs, whch keeps lower heights over Scandinavia and the mean trough to our NW. The height anomalies covering days 10-15 (ecm), 11-16 (naefs) below

Posted ImagePosted Image

I had thought we'd be in a clearer state after the 0z output, but seemingly we will need a couple more runs before we can know if its more zonal ( tho less intensive than of late) or love from the east. Looking at all available data this morning, i favour the former. But must concede the ecm ens have thrown a spanner....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

After the ECM held an easterly party last night its the clean up today with bottles and debris lying all over the place!

Regardless of the morning climbdown by the operational run there is a trend for temperatures to fall looking at the De Bilt ensembles, the wind directions are all over the place.

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

The robust signal for the continued rinse and repeat monsoon is now weakening but the outlook is messy if you're trying to pin some detail down. The PV still looks trouble some although not as strong, generally you can only work with so much given the PV location so there are things that you definitely know you wont see within the medium term, so Greenland block is out, northerly toppler out, upstream there is some uncertainty as to the depth and amplitude of troughing in the west/central USA as the pattern changes over there; which will therefore impact the amplitude of the jet coming out of the eastern USA.

In terms of whats to be expected over the UK well several options, troughing digging se with pressure still high to the ne, I'd still keep the possibility of an easterly within ten days, theres still a cluster of ECM solutions that bring this in.

Overall I think the zonal conditions that we've seen for weeks are on the way out, I think its look east or ne going forward, some trough disruption likely close to the UK and a possible battle ground scenario setting up before the PV finally edges sufficiently away.

With the easterly still refusing to disappear off the radar within the ten day period, just as the easterly disappeared quickly it could just as easily return, the margins remain very small either way.

It looks like Accu Weather are in agreement Nick, these are Jan '14 dates for Watford, however still a long way off and much can change.

Variable cloud, a shower
7° Lo -1°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Low cloud
4° Lo -1°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Decreasing cloud
2° Lo -3°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Sunny spells and patchy cloud
1° Lo -4°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Sunny periods
1° Lo -5°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Decreasing cloud and cold
0° Lo -4°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

A shower in the afternoon
3° Lo 2°

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 1

Posted

Just looking at things overall.I think it 's reasonable to expect some easing of the Atlantic ferocity later next week as some heights look like developing over the continent.

This may build into a meaningful block later on and that maybe is what some of the Met office ens further out are showing.

A lot depends on where any block sits but it seems some sort of continental cold shows up in those colder ens members.

It's all very far way for now though and for the sake of clarity and being on topic we should continue to focus our discussions on the modeling we can view for ourselves for commenting on.

One other thing a few posts are getting grumpy again and having a dig at others,please stop this.

I would like a change as much as anyone but let's note what the current outputs show and avoid falling out with each other over it.

Probably not as much as me Phil, I'm now surrounded by water and it's starting to feel a bit like the Alamo around here...again!

It's at least encouraging to see some much colder air dropping into western Russia on the 06 GFS, with ridging extending well south of Svalbard, but agree there still does not looks to be an easy or guaranteed route to cold just yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted

The 06z gefs more amplified in week 2 than recent suites. Better than consistent flat output! (And the NH profile much better as well)

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

It looks like Accu Weather are in agreement Nick, these are Jan '14 dates for Watford, however still a long way off and much can change.

Variable cloud, a shower
7° Lo -1°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Low cloud
4° Lo -1°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Decreasing cloud
2° Lo -3°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Sunny spells and patchy cloud
1° Lo -4°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Sunny periods
1° Lo -5°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

Decreasing cloud and cold
0° Lo -4°
Hist. Avg. 6° Lo 2°

A shower in the afternoon
3° Lo 2°

I was hoping for something colder given the PV has dropped some very cold air into Russia! lol Yes still a way into the future, lets hope that the cards fall nicely.

The ECM actually has two chances for an easterly within 240hrs one like last night and another as that troughing digs south in the mid Atlantic, we don't get the required angle but a possibility.

post-1206-0-61823000-1388836561_thumb.gi

That shortwave over the se would need to cut back and track sw, which would happen if the troughing in the mid Atlantic dug further south, that's effected by troughing over the central USA which effects the eastern USA amplitude which in turn effects the mid Atlantic jet, we need a steeper bounce north to the west of the UK.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

I was hoping for something colder given the PV has dropped some very cold air into Russia! lol Yes still a way into the future, lets hope that the cards fall nicely. The ECM actually has two chances for an easterly within 240hrs one like last night and another as that troughing digs south in the mid Atlantic, we don't get the required angle but a possibility.

That's watford nick, not Warsaw!
  • Like 3

Posted

An emerging number of MOGREPS members are starting to show much colder solutions by end of the trend period (15d). This hadn't been the case recently.

Although the stratosphere warming has backed off considerably from what it was showing

3 days ago when it looked as if we would see a possible SSW and pehaps major northern

hemisphere pattern change.

Their may well be strong enough wave breaking on our side of the pole to feed off the

stronger wave breaking on the Siberian side to create weak but sufficient heights to

the north/northeast with lower pressure to the south of the uk to produce a potentially

wintry set up cold enough for lying snow, frost etc.

This sort of set up could be far snowier IF it comes off than a very strong positive heights

to the north driving weather fronts and lows further to the south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

The 06z GEFS still mostly average and unsettled

Posted Image

But the odd rogue freeze up runs appearing to cheer.

For the SE

Posted Image

For the North a chunk of vortex where it should be!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Hi BA,

MOG-15 is a stochastic suite of 24 members which runs twice-daily, at 60km and across 70 vertical levels, on one of our machines sited at ECMWF.  This ensemble suite complements: MOG-G - 33km, and 70 vertical; (the now defunct) MOG-R - 18km, and 70 vertical, and finally MOG-UK - 2.2km, and again 70 vertical.

For completeness, GloSea5 (seasonal EPS) is another stochastic - but (as opposed to MOGs) coupled - suite of 42 members (21-day staggered creation) which runs at 60km atmospheric, and 0.25° oceanographic, out to a time-span of 6mths.

Hope that's helpful?

SB

many thanks SB -  70 vert levels puts it half way between ecm ens (91) and gefs (42) to day 8.  horizontally, its half the res of the ecm ens to day 10 (32km)  when it comes roughly into line.  post day 8, it is miles ahead of the gefs vertically (28) and marginally better res horizontally. (60 v 70). 

i guess it should be a good tool for the 11/15 day period and the forecasters can check its validity at day 10 against the ecm ens when they change to lower res.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

An emerging number of MOGREPS members are starting to show much colder solutions by end of the trend period (15d). This hadn't been the case recently.

Any chance of saying which direction Fergie?  I don't trust Scandi Highs much - they always seem to come to nothing even though they favour my location.

If it's more NW and Greenland tho' - now you're talking Posted Image

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well we said things looked finely balanced and that is how it is proving. Things looked bleak this morning when the Operational's were out with all the main models moving away from any proper Easterly influence on our weather but the ECM ensembles, MetO's latest forecast and Ian's update all give more confidence.

ECM London ensembles are quite cold but I'm unsure how this mornings ECM Op gives an ice day on the 13th from this mornings run - that brief slack continental flow I guess? Still, a definite shift to colder with the mean just 3 or 4C and plenty of colder options from the 12th.

Some of you may have noticed the Winter hasn't been great thus far so I expect people would of made rather large emotional investments in the idea of colder, drier, snowier for the second half of January if we were seeing some outrageous eye candy with strong Northeasterlies and heavy snow being modelled - so perhaps it is better to be seeing the less cold patterns being modelled and keep expectations low. 

Given the conflicting signals there will be a fair amount of flip flopping as people have mentioned so I'm going to try and take some of my own advice and buckle up for the ride.

Exciting times at least.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted

So, depending on whether the gfs ens have the correct synoptics pinned out to day 16, i thought it was interesting to see how the temp anomaly evolves for Europe. (Using gefs 6z suite)

Currently we have a very mild continent, a strong positive anomaly over western Europe and up into Scandinavia..

Posted Image

By day 10, this signal wanes, tho staying fairly positive over western Europe and the Balkans in particular. We see changes further north & east, and to our west. With colder conditions seemingly incoming.

Posted Image

By day 16, we have a very negative anomaly over Russia, encroaching into Eastern Europe. With Scandinavia and much of the British isles also below average. However, even by 20th Jan, western Europe (-UK) still remains with a fairly positive anomaly.

Posted Image

Fair to say, the ecm det, sees surface temps slightly differently...

Posted Image

Surface temp anomaly day 10.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yep, nor do I ! The point was that they are trending colder, this Winter requires the patience of a Saint!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Once again the latest NAO update shows no change with it remaining neutral for the foreseeable future

Posted Image

The latest AO update take its positive during next week after this we have a lot of scatter but not much scatter goes negative

Posted Image