Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes you're right re the USA it's very common over there, perhaps JH and Forecaster would supply me with the UKMO term for the American phasing, a term has to be used by the UKMO because its a very common synoptic situation.

Regarding some of the terms NOAA use, the recent addition was bombogenesis! that made me laugh, anyway I've been using the term phasing for years on here and am quite comfortable with it, I think its quite explanatory really.

Regarding the Pyrenees yes its turned very slushy and mild here now,  drizzly and underwhelming, some heavy snow though is expected tomorrow as it turns briefly colder. Overall though its been an excellent season, it seems strange to say that with all the mild muck but there was a lot of snow end of November, then sunny skies for nearly three weeks but with low dew points, no warm rain which is the real scurge of ski resorts.

More snow over Xmas, its just the last few days which has turned slushy, next week could turn warm but as long as its dry the resorts should be okay.

I'm not sure but I would take a guess at "conflate" or "coalesce"  but we could also use conjoin or commingle. Posted Image

The best definition of phasing in this context comes from the Oxford English dictionary: Phasing; the relationship between the timing of two or more events,

I'm not sure why I use "phasing", it seems a natural term but others probably better describe the interaction in a meteorological context.

Back to the MO. Posted Image

PS

Getting a little worried about my prediction that snow would fall to low levels in the North of England before mid month.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

If the CFS was right we would have been up to our necks in snow since the start of December.

Completely wrong statement - if you followed the 1 month and 6 month runs regularly form around October and November this simply wasn't the case. The posts which put up height anomalies (largely to our north or north east) were wrong, not sure where these came from - maybe from just 'chosen' runs and there weren't many good ones.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Fog, Thunderstorms

Just noticed on the 06z GFS: Is that -111111111112°C at 850hpa near Moscow?

Posted Image

I'll have some of that if it comes our way... Posted Image 

• Like 4

Posted

The Korean Met's forecast for Jan & Feb increasingly looking more favourable for cold. Its suggesting heights building over Scandinavia and Svalbard, with troughing to our NW, but this feature is not a strong signal, and any troughing looks likely to affect the NW. Looking longer term, mid feb the model builds these Scandi heights further, with blocking also indicated over Greenland. Low heights to the south of the UK & western Europe could lead to some very interesting weather types.

Posted Image

Mid feb height anomalies.

So, we have the jma and the kma keen for some form of northern blocking, while the ec32 sees it rather differently, less keen on blocking further north thru Jan. Have had a look at the latest ensemble forecast from cfs, but to be honest that model changes so much I don't see the relevance in posting it.

So, we have a bit of battle between the long range models. As Shed has said, patience is key.

• Like 2

Improving gfs ensembles as we go now with a few cliff divers in the mix now- all being brought about by the alteration in track-

Remember what I keep reminding us of- weather is about timing and storm tracks

In this instance a 200 mile change in storm track effects the WHOLE hemispheric pattern at day 8

Gfs 06z ptb 5 is a very plausable outcome and looks quite like the ukmo!

If people want a post on phasing let me know

We need a phasing of the 2 systems in america to happen then post that a phasing of 2 highs !!!!

S

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Blocking seems most likely over scandinavia as the cold air coming out of canada into the north atlantic is scuppering any chances of a block forming over greenland. All eyes on the east?Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

looking through the latest anomoly and mean heights on the extended ecm and gfs, there is a trend to place neg height anomolys to our south but no desire to remove them from our northwest. remembering that these extended ens were also showing this a week or so ago for the upcoming period makes this seem unrelaible in any case (the euro low anomoly). there seems to be decent support for the east greeny heights to become cut off around day 8 so its a shame that the jet streak which follows is so strong and just blasts them aside. the next push of the jet seems weaker and placed further south so if we had managed to get these heights cut off and stable in that locale, we would have been in business. i just cant see where the positive vibes are coming from unless the ops are finally making the running here - and tbh, they are not consistent this morning from their promise of yesterday. as far as exeter's feeling of wintry patetrns being possible later in the month - i know ian stated that these were based on clustering of potentially cold sypnotic patterns in a fortnight but you would hardly say that the extended ecm ens are 'picking up the baton', nor the ec 32. maybe ian can help re whether there are any clusters of cold members on the latest ec 32 weeks 3 or 4.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The Oslo surface pressure charts has the Scandi High option of the FI 06z op as in the unlikely cluster; two other members support a more sustained pressure rise in that area:

post-14819-0-67305000-1388756399_thumb.p

The Arctic High lifespan appears to now be waning with about 33% losing that feature by T300 up to 66% by T384, with the Siberian high the main beneficiary. A T384 mean chart is of nominal value but it sort of highlights the point:

post-14819-0-69646200-1388756711_thumb.p

The JMA for the last two weeks of Jan is supportive of the EC32 update with a continuation of the current theme but with a lower amplitude:

post-14819-0-66138900-1388757240_thumb.p

The NAO ties in with the wax and wane of the Atlantic flow as the PV relaxes a bit:  post-14819-0-11530700-1388757522_thumb.g

So as the op and Control from the GFS 06z show, another attempt at building an Atlantic ridge after T240.

So although the first lull next week has likely been a missed opportunity, another go is on the horizon, and with the residue height rises left from the initial attempt, it could force a pattern change. But unfortunately mid Jan at the earliest for something more seasonal for the glass half full viewers.

• Like 1

Posted

ECMWF not on board but GFS and UKMO continue to suggest a phase 7 progression of the MJO:

Posted Image

500mb height anomaly composites for which (taking in to account ENSO Neutral conditions and a West QBO) suggest this:

post-1038-0-52083300-1388757990_thumb.gi

And gives an SLP anomaly of:

post-1038-0-19942100-1388758124_thumb.gi

(Key composite years for such conditions are 1979 and 1981)

I would still be cautious until we see the three big guns all pointing in the same direction but putting aside for just a moment the warm vs cold debate in view of current conditions I think we could all do with something like this - certainly the potential for some cold from that but above all else something far drier and more settled.

SK

Edited by snowking
  • Like 7

Posted

Top posts this afternoon from Draztik, Carinthian and Snowking, thanks!

Well it's amazing how long-term model viewers could be as pessimistic as optimistic about the 00/06Z charts! When I posted at 4.50am this morning I was particularly pleased with the northerly height rises suggested by the UKMO as, like some, I see it as the one model you want on your side if its HLB you are after. Clearly seeing the ECM not coming up with anything particularly wintery has dampened the enthusiasm of some.

But I think there is a different trend to keep an eye on now; the GFS 00Z and 06Z (along with control run) have all shown a further rise in pressure towards Iceland at around 12th January and, with the Polar Vortex having been a little weakened by then, this pressure rise seems more likely to hold. The eventual result may differ - the 00Z produced an Icelandic High (great for cold), the 06Z led to a Scandinavian High (possibly fantastic for cold) and the 06Z control run ended with a UK High (cold but not snowy). But its the consistency of the pressure rise that is starting to get my attention. I will be watching this closely over the next couple of days to see if it gets picked up by the ECM and if the trend firms up more.  

I find pattern changes often happen like this - one attempt to change the pattern is closely followed by another - and sometimes it takes two attempts to break it. Encouraging signs coming from some other models too. So January is far from a lost cause as things stand. The real cold-chasing game, I feel, is about to begin.

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No change in today's NAO update with it remaining neutral to at least mid month

Posted Image

The latest AO update goes positive for a time next week after starting negative towards mid month it heads negative again albeit with a lot of scatter

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Top posts this afternoon from Draztik, Carinthian and Snowking, thanks!

Well it's amazing how long-term model viewers could be as pessimistic as optimistic about the 00/06Z charts! When I posted at 4.50am this morning I was particularly pleased with the northerly height rises suggested by the UKMO as, like some, I see it as the one model you want on your side if its HLB you are after. Clearly seeing the ECM not coming up with anything particularly wintery has dampened the enthusiasm of some.

But I think there is a different trend to keep an eye on now; the GFS 00Z and 06Z (along with control run) have all shown a further rise in pressure towards Iceland at around 12th January and, with the Polar Vortex having been a little weakened by then, this pressure rise seems more likely to hold. The eventual result may differ - the 00Z produced an Icelandic High (great for cold), the 06Z led to a Scandinavian High (possibly fantastic for cold) and the 06Z control run ended with a UK High (cold but not snowy). But its the consistency that is starting to get my attention. I will be watching this closely over the next couple of days to see if it gets picked up by the ECM and if the trend firms up more.  

I find pattern changes often happen like this - one attempt to change the pattern is closely followed by another - and sometimes it takes two attempts to break it. Encouraging signs coming from some other models too. So January is far from a lost cause as things stand. The real cold-chasing game, I feel, is about to begin.

A good sign ,we i feel are starting to see a possible stop to this zonal Slaughter ,realy hope to see some beefing up of the charts and hopefully all models singing together .and its great that we have plenty of winter left .Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some of the driest ensembles we've had over a 2 week period in a long long time UK wide about time as well

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A change to drier conditions looks likely during next week and something cooler could be on the cards from around mid month

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Some of the driest ensembles we've had over a 2 week period in a long long time UK wide about time as well

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A change to drier conditions looks likely during next week and something cooler could be on the cards from around mid month

I hope it's mild dry..

we do need dry weather though been very wet

Edited by JK1
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi Nick,

The post you just made, can you clarify what impact this will have on the UK weather (If any), and also what the "Upstream" part refers to or does please as I don't understand these charts at all let alone see what country it's over, but presume it's the good ol' US of A?

Edited by Glenn W

Posted

Hi Nick,

The post you just made, can you clarify what impact this will have on the UK weather (If any), and also what the "Upstream" part refers to or does please as I don't understand these charts at all let alone see what country it's over, but presume it's the good ol' US of A?

Hi Glenn

The upstream USA/Canada is crucial downstream in Europe in this instance, we need the low to run as far inland as possible and not out to sea because downstream this will develop a better ridge and give us more time for the high pressure to the north to force the troughing over the UK further east/se.

Its very much about timing and trying to hold back the PV for as long as possible.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

The last two GFS runs have shown a change in the pattern that may gives us a chance of something colder after mid month.

Of course its all in FI  as some wise heads have pointed out.

To be fair to the GFS at least the yanks have the balls to put their FI out for public scrutiny unlike the other big two.

Again wise heads have pointed out the extremely low verification rates of all models at that range.  This of course is good news

because at that range it means the GFS has got as much chance of being correct with the pattern as any other model.

Edited by mcweather
  • Like 1

Posted

The 12z NAE follows on from its last run in showing a snow event for parts of Ireland 

tomorrow morning.

The met-office have yellow warning's out for areas much further East than this

and stress the uncertainty regarding this feature.

Met Office: UK: severe weather warnings

• Like 2

Posted

If we get enough wave two amplification and warming the northern blocking and

cold synoptics will come with the likely hood of a high pressure to the north/north

east of the UK.

This sort of pattern would be less reliant on timing as it is an actual pattern change

rather than trying to find glimmers of cold in an otherwise zonal pattern where timing

is crucial.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The reasons for optimism are IMO clear, before New Year it was zonal for years, now we have blocked and cold solutions appearing Posted Image

More action from our big yellow friend ongoing and forecast to happen next week, for me I think more affects on jetstream pattern

Been catching up with the news and the SW.....oh boy with whats still to come over next 4-5 days its not good

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Not sure this is going to amount to much http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1381.png!! I think its all a little bit too early for any serious blocking to take hold its all pretty half-hearted at the moment if at all. There is still too much energy in the system and I really wish that lobe of the vortex would bugger off from north eastern Canada there isn't a worse place for it to just sit there. No serious cold to hit our shores until 21st - 25th is still my shout.

High heights in Europe are a pain as well albeit a fair reflection of the rut we are currently stuck in!!

Edited by Continental Climate