Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Well, low res has gone a bit mental, but the high res charts are looking much more positive.  Hopefully this trend will continue tomorrow and another day of fascinating model watching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Nice cold pool arriving from southern Norway, via quite a strong easterly!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to ask this. After all these years reading the thread I am trying to actually understand the models. How do you know the cold pool is arriving.

Feeling very stupid now.

Katie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

18z pocked and prodded a bit harder than its 12z....but still no one's any the wiser!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A mad GFS type finish BUT a very interesting upstream pattern over N America

Posted Image

PV split asunder and kicked out of residence over Greenland and Baffin entirely.

• Like 1

Posted

Look at the wind direction, and 850 temps creeping towards us from Scandy..

Posted

Loads of changes still to come but this is a good run snow events towards end of high res then the hemispheric pattern at end of low res is excellent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

I have to ask this. After all these years reading the thread I am trying to actually understand the models. How do you know the cold pool is arriving.Feeling very stupid now.Katie

look at the 850s is easiest

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

Edited by stratty
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I have to ask this. After all these years reading the thread I am trying to actually understand the models. How do you know the cold pool is arriving.Feeling very stupid now.Katie

Does this help?

post-17320-0-89832300-1389307913_thumb.p

• Like 9

Posted

next ec 32 imminent. i wonder if it will display the early disassociation with the ecm ens mean that joe B illustrated in a recent article ?

Yes it is important as most runs are at this stage, However with the large uncertainty in the early to mid range wouldn't the 32 be although not useless a bit of a unnecessary factor as we still don't have anything nailed on early to mid range..

Posted

Lol! another change in the outputs! Oh dear this is getting silly now.

Just shows the importance of timing upstream and the football low changing to oval can we get the elongated tomorrow? The crucial thing is that the UKMO output does not verify at T96hrs.

We await the fax charts with interest, do they leave the Freddie Kruger output intact with no modifications or do they shelve the Nightmare T96hrs raw output.

Freddie all the way at 96 hrs.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax96s.gif?09-12

They seem to have stuck with the raw output for the 120 hrs as well.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif?09-12

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Does this help?

Thank you it does. I think I have chosen the worst time ever to start learning. Katie
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Thank you it does. I think I have chosen the worst time ever to start learning.

Katie

Nope, probably the best, because you get a lot of input of the models when there's a cold snap/spell approaching! Posted Image

Nick, not many modifications on the FAX 120hrs tonight....Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 2

Posted

Surprised at that, thought they may modify it, given all the chopping and changing lets hope that meets the shredder in the morning.

Posted

Lol! another change in the outputs! Oh dear this is getting silly now. Just shows the importance of timing upstream and the football low changing to oval can we get the elongated tomorrow? The crucial thing is that the UKMO output does not verify at T96hrs. We await the fax charts with interest, do they leave the Freddie Kruger output intact with no modifications or do they shelve the Nightmare T96hrs raw output.

Yes indeed Nick just checking in. Anyone fancy chronicling GFS's mood changes over the past 48 hrs? I think I have counted a frigid easterly, a monsoon and a near hurricane. We just need a heatwave to complete the set. Unlikely at this time of year, but with GFS you just never know.
  • Like 3

Posted

Nope, probably the best, because you get a lot of input of the models when there's a cold snap/spell approaching! Posted Image

Nick, not many modifications on the FAX 120hrs tonight....Posted Image

Given how underwhelming the T96hrs was its quite an achievement to even get to that fax chart, if we lose the football low then things will improve dramatically.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The control run follows suit

Posted Image

The mean also shows a more elongated atlantic low

Posted Image

Compared to the last run

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Surprised at that, thought they may modify it, given all the chopping and changing lets hope that meets the shredder in the morning.

Yes,i thought that they may have given a nod towards the ECM ensemble mean

at least for the 120 hrs.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes,i thought that they may have given a nod towards the ECM ensemble mean

at least for the 120 hrs.

Posted ImageEDM1-120.gif

I think the problem is that the jump from T96hrs to the 120hrs ECM mean would look too much of a leap synoptically. One things for sure we must not see the T96hrs output again, that needs to go in the morning at least to be replaced by the other global models view of how those two lows phase at that timeframe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The block to the NE ain't going anywhere fast, the models, especially GFS will always try to break it down in low res and bring back in the Atlantic. It may end up being a frustratingly slow process trying to get the deep cold to back west the UK, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't eventually, given the position that the block is setting up and the favourable pattern upstream. Historically, similar blocked patterns have more often than not delivered, if not straight away. Nothing to be downbeat about today IMo, unless you are in hurry to tap into the cold. Of course, I may be wrong.

Agreed. It's true that cold Easterly flows can easily fail at times, but I think the GFS pub run, the GEM, (and that fairly decent looking ECMWF ensemble mean) illustrates that the possible cold Easterly setup next week is not ready to let go of the UK yet. There was also that post by Snowking earlier about how the models would likely to continue to produce variations of the likely blocking theme next week, but with the general pattern still mostly intact (e.g: block to the North/North-East, areas of Low heights to the South - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78936-model-output-discussion-1st-january-2014-06z-onwards/page-139#entry2890212). I suppose some of those sphere-shaped Lows out West on some of the models next week probably might need watching, although it could be that case that closer to that period, those Lows could easily become more squashed with a fair amount of trough disruption spitting Eastwards or South-Eastwards out of them. I think your post is also a good reason for our toys to stay tied up in our prams for now. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Not long been in.....catching up.......

Nice to see the 18z halt the rot somewhat. What an absolute nightmare this is turning out to be in terms of modelling. If I've interpreted Fergie's post earlier correctly, what transpires next week may have huge ramifications going forward....maybe due to some kind of tropospheric feedback mechanism?

I thought this would be the case yesterday....blocking either becomes entrenched or it doesn't.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2