Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Well if thats the worst ECM can throw at us as a chart i would take it any winter

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010812/ECH1-240.GIF?08-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

oh but lets not leave out the jma which in its last charts throws a possible reload from the east.....

Posted Image

JMA not updated yet om meteociel

Posted

Sorry to dampen the mood on here but apparently some of the models we don't see are still not on board. Just read this on twitter

@EssexWeather: Exciting times! ECM, GFS onboard but MOGREPS and UKMO-G say no for now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Sorry to dampen the mood on here but apparently some of the models we don't see are still not on board. Just read this on twitter@EssexWeather: Exciting times! ECM, GFS onboard but MOGREPS and UKMO-G say no for now.

I thought 60% of MOGREPS were going for it.Paul Hudson said so too.

https://twitter.com/fergieweather

With ca. 60% of EC & 50% MOGREPS members offering colder E'rly into next 6-10d, UKMO lean towards this but with caution: may flip other way

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted

Remember the day you woke up to a previously unmodelled easterly at T144 after weeks of Atlantic storms ... ah, that's today!!

It's so tempting to look ahead to T200+, since the child in some of us still dreams of a 1947, but it isn't worth it, is it, we can't really know?! The models are having enough difficulty with T144!

Building blocks are all in place at T96, can't imagine there will be a backtrack now. It's just a case of where the block is going to be and what will go under it. 

I suspect the following two GEFS members show some of the extremes of what could happen by T144:

Posted Image

One extreme - Block a bit weaker than most op runs; snow for the north, not quite cold enough further south

Posted Image

Other extreme; block further south, cold everywhere but few areas at threat from snow

This one could be really tasty, and it's not far off being the middle ground!

Posted Image

Posted

I thought 60% of MOGREPS were going for it.Paul Hudson said so too.

Currently, around sixty percent of the solutions from the European (ECMWF) model suggest that cold air from the east will win the battle against the milder Atlantic air that has been with us for virtually the whole of winter so far.

For other models the percentage of cold solutions is around fifty percent.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I thought 60% of MOGREPS were going for it.Paul Hudson said so too.https://twitter.com/fergieweather

50% according to Ian;"With ca. 60% of EC & 50% MOGREPS members offering colder E'rly into next 6-10d, UKMO lean towards this but with caution: may flip other way"
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

This chart being dotted around 12z ECMWF anomalie (Stating Deal Sealed) I sincerely hope so.

Posted Image

yep , heres one just like it only from a different angle, certainly looking like blocking may hang on a bit longer than the ops suggest.

post-18134-0-25758100-1389211236_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

50% according to Ian;

"With ca. 60% of EC & 50% MOGREPS members offering colder E'rly into next 6-10d, UKMO lean towards this but with caution: may flip other way"

this is what paul tweeted earlier on

Paul Hudson â€@Hudsonweather 55m

No I said on TV there's the potential for a cold easterly next week still though with real uncertainties

clearly just airing on the side of caution

Edited by bryan629
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

One set of output and all is good. Four more to go IMO and then all systems are go. Get past Friday 12z's and then start looking for detail. Keep the theme going that's what is important.

• Like 2

Posted

JMA pretty good at days 7 and 8.  The block looks solid at day 8 - like some of the other model output wish that low to the SW of the UK was a little further east.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

After the initial amplification I struggle to see how you avoid at least some sort of easterly flow - I've only found 4 GEFS members who don't have some kind of easterly flow across the British Isles before +192. The main thing which goes wrong is the undercutting low is modelled as a dartboard, which means it doesn't disrupt, but that seems somewhat implausible given none of the ops have come up with anything similar and it is only 4-5 days out. A few are slower with the evolution like the GFS 6Z was but get there in the end, which might lead some who glance at it at, say, D6 to count it as a 'no' rather than simply being slightly delayed. The ECM ENS will be crucial but I'd be very surprised if MOGREPS wasn't at least broadly in line with the rest of the model suite (especially since the UKMO-G certainly appeared to be up to +144).

My view is that the operationals are the most crucial part here and it is really they who've lead the way - the GEFS had barely any cold members when the GFS op was having its usual turnaround phase 48 hours ago. However, the way these things often turn out we can't rest easy until we have as close to 100% agreement as possible and the easterly is no more than 4 days out.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

I am not sure I subscribe to the notion that this 'turnaround' in the models is as dramatic as one might think. The lowering of heights in northern Italy and the Adriatic is something that a number of suites have been hinting at over the past few days so I think something has been in evidence, perhaps last night the butterfly had one of it's wings clipped, though the proof will be where we are at in 7 days.

However, in my view, beyond the weekend, the weather pattern is still very uncertain, with the majority of the model forecasts suggesting a drop in temperature with the potential for sleet and snow on eastern facing aspects currently suggested as the most likely outcome, with predominantly dry conditions elsewhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Firstly, tweets in recent winters have been quoted by both camps and have been proved wrong the next day. Mr Sussex seems sure that the UKMO 168 chart (seen in house so could IF elaborate later?) would be good. I trust his judgement. As has also been pointed out, what constitutes as 'not going for it' is this just op based? The reason I say that is the GFS ensembles do have milder members and yet the tweet states that model is for the easterly... I think MOGREPS will just have a split and thus being inconclusive.

Another great day for the coldies and the upgrades keep steadily flowing. Let's just keep perspective, enjoy the ride and remember to hold on tight!

EDIT: LS's post above is very valid IMO. I reckon the milder solutions on MOGREPS are for te same reason as the GFS with the 'bowling ball' low etc. Remember all OPS have been positive today

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

I think people have to separate out what the UKMO will say publicly and what they think internally at their HQ, theres no point them making a big song and dance about it now.

With easterlies and indeed with any cold weather in the UK theres always a level of uncertainty but overall the trends are that way this evening.

I think we can blame the recent media for printing rubbish and over the top hysterical headlines, especially when even the word colder or easterly are mentioned! So perhaps they don't want the Daily Express printing yet more rubbish!

Very true Nick, the meto won't come on board publicly until they are 80% sure of an outcome they have a professional reputation to maintain unlike the Daily Express where the words professional and reputation are notable by their absence.

Edited by mcweather
  • Like 4

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

looking on there  jan  i6  is  the  day  with  snow coming  off  the  north sea affecting  the  east coast  to at least  jan 20  at the moment

Posted

In terms of the UKMO output at T144hrs yes it doesn't show an easterly at that precise time but I can't believe any UK forecaster at HQ won't say but if it verified it would likely show at worst trough disruption sending energy se towards the Med and a good chance of an easterly after that; Either the UKMO have just ditched their raw output and think its rogue or the Twittergate re UKMO G saying no was incorrect.