Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Subtle but early positive improvements with the first 12z model, the GME, out this afternoonPosted Image  Pattern backed a fraction west with stronger Scandi height ridge and trough in the atlantic held back and slightly more amplified

00z

Posted Image

12z

Posted Image

I can barely watch Tamara! I'm hiding behind the sofa! Early signs from the GFS are also fine.

• Like 7

Posted

Subtle but early positive improvements with the first 12z model, the GME, out this afternoonPosted Image Pattern backed a fraction west with stronger Scandi height ridge and trough in the atlantic held back and slightly more amplified

00z

Posted Image

12z

Posted Image

A good yardstick for t72 as well - nice enough start to the evening!

Posted Image

tamara they are both 12z!but yes a good gem so far!! Edited by shaky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Good afternoon my fellow weather enthusiasts :)

Iv been so busy over the Xmas period I really haven't time to give my views.

Just a few things to say, firstly and slightly off topic Iv spent the last 5 days in krakow Poland , I went in the hope of freezing cold but was greeted by a very unusually mild Poland , with temps ranging from -3(min) and upto 10c (max) , I found it very depressing and typical of having to suffer upper air temps at 850hpa of around +5 all the way from Africa !!!

I was earnestly following the model thread however , to wife's disgust , I litterely can't leave netweather alone !

On to the models , I was absolutely delighted today with the outlook , although not completely surprised , there has been rumblings of a potential cold spell for sometime now , but one model Iv been completely proud of , is the gem , this has been barking up the tree now for ages , and slowly but surely we have saw the models coming into line it .

At the same time , certain members in hear have blown me away with the analysis of models , Steve M , you have been amazing and never seize to amaze me with your knowledge of the way the individual models handles particular situations , and Nick Sussex has also been fantastic with his brilliance on short waves , and taking his time to educate us all with his diagrams , it really does feel like I'm attending a university course at times! And a massive shout out to two other individuals , Corinthian , for the insight he gave regarding what he and his team expected , with excellent timings aswell , and Tamara , for her very informative (at times not pleasant to read at times!) words of wisdom , and it certainly kept my feet well and truly on the ground, I know many others have realty stepped upto the mark this year since the department of our beloved GP , and in general the model output thread has come on leaps and bounds this year .

One thing Iv done these last few years is became engrossed in the strat thread , and please make no doupt about it , absolutely everything in the winter pattern is driven by the polar vortex and the stratosphere , and with this cold spell up coming , it really wouldn't be on the horizon if it wasn't for the wave 1/2 activity , we don't need a SSW to destroy the vortex , given the strength of it this year it has taken ones by surprise that this recent activity has managed to the damage it has , but it certainly bodes well for February , and as we finally know from last year , march aswell if things go right. So all in all a very positive outlook .

Behold ourselves for another night of ectacy or depression !!

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 6

Posted

Hmm shortwave out in the Atlantic picking up a bit of gusto this run. Be lovely if it went SE to Europe, but my theory is it will bounce of the block like the 06z. Being more powerfull this run it might take some of the juice out the block this time though. Ahhhh speculation. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Not a bad chart http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn841.png!! Energy already going under and all at t84 as well

Posted

15Mb higher pressure at T96 over Greenland, that should help......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Its going well ...even firming somewhat. Keep watching. ;-)

Posted

That stupid shortwave near Iceland needs to get lost, this stops more forcing on the pattern to disrupt energy se'wards, without that going on a sightseeing tour to the north the pattern would be further west with a better tilt to the troughing, its still negative but you can see how it could be better.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted

However even with that irritation even the GFS surely can't mess up from here with a stronger ridge to the ne.Note the little blob of green developing to the ne in the centre of the high!

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Amen! amplified central USA wave holding, slightly better over the UK more dig south and improved to the north, OMG I'll soon be hyperventilating here!

That shortwave near Iceland needs to take a hike quickly, we need this out of the way as soon as possible.

Stop it nick I haven’t got that many likes in my locker, I can’t stick one next to every one of your posts

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 5

Posted

Cold might reach our shores 1 day earlier than progged by the 06Z looking at the charts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

However even with that irritation even the GFS surely can't mess up from here with a stronger ridge to the ne.

Posted Image  You are going to give yourself a heart attack Nick.

Plenty more shortwave drama to come I'm sure but I can't see that one developing and causing any significant damage with the ridge and high to the NE the dominant players.

Famous last words probably. Posted Image

UKMO out to 96h

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

We've gone yellow east of Greenland, I repeat we've gone yellow east of Greenland......

Posted Image

The GFS finds yet another shortwave to phase with the upstream low attaching itself to it! good grief its really dragging this out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We've gone yellow east of Greenland, I repeat we've gone yellow east of Greenland......

Posted Image

Sorry, newb here, isn't yellow a 'bad thing' for us coldies?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Posted Image

Yep, all fine so far (I mean the surface pressure is a total mess but that's just the GFS + a slack flow for you). First you get the WAA, then you get the undercut, then you get the snow (hopefully)

Posted Image

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 5

Posted

Sorry, newb here, isn't yellow a 'bad thing' for us coldies?

Not when you're looking at those charts, its not indicating mild, just the strength of the high to the ne.

• Like 2