Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Some genuinely interesting developments on the models this evening. It will be interesting to see where the ECM run sits within it,s ensemble suite.

GFS has at last smelt the Scandinavian coffee it seems.

UKMO looking good for the transition at 144.

It does seem that some sort of change from the current god awful set up is now afoot with the possibility of a battleground scenario being one of the possible options.

As we all know the precise track and position and orientation of fronts a weather systems then comes into play in deciding who gets what.

Still way to far out to think about that but if the general pattern proves correct then there could be some interesting times ahead.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The ECM operational run for De Bilt is a mild outlier for that region from next Tuesday!

Posted ImagePLUIM_06260_NWT.png

Thats quite remarkable lol. Maybe the op is overdoing the strength of that diving Low. A weaker Low may well end up providing a colder flow towards Holland....and the UK!

• Like 1

Posted

Those ensembles are very exciting news for the long suffering cold and snow lovers here, but we have to be a little bit careful here because in this type of set up you'd expect the operational run with its higher resolution to cope better with trough disruption. However we can just hope that the operational goes with one of those colder members and we can finally say hello to some proper winter weather.

• Like 7

Posted

looks like the op has overdone that depression and we are more likely to see trough extensions undercutting. the spread on the jet streak late in the run splits energy n and s which is good as we need it to dissipate against the blocking.  overall, an excellent ens run with the spread on 850's keen to bring low uppers (down to -8c) into eastern england. this is the best ecm ens run yet re 850 spreads.  the battleground on those spreads looks further west than the op shows.  trends are good on next week at this point but we are still a long way from widespread snowfall.  however, if you asked me if it can be discounted then the answer is a firm no and we are approaching th point where i might have to share the possibilities with my kids ...............

Do not do such a thing until 48 hours! Guaranteed disappointed! :D 

Growing trend this evening, hopefully compounded on the morning output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

looks like the op has overdone that depression and we are more likely to see trough extensions undercutting. the spread on the jet streak late in the run splits energy n and s which is good as we need it to dissipate against the blocking.  overall, an excellent ens run with the spread on 850's keen to bring low uppers (down to -8c) into eastern england. this is the best ecm ens run yet re 850 spreads.  the battleground on those spreads looks further west than the op shows.  trends are good on next week at this point but we are still a long way from widespread snowfall.  however, if you asked me if it can be discounted then the answer is a firm no and we are approaching th point where i might have to share the possibilities with my kids ...............

good post the op was weak in feature and I thought it would be a cracker. However ens through up more solid support. And westward correction imo of 850s would be looking a good bet cross mod over coming days....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

ECM Mean 850hPa temps from 168hrs to 240hrs:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Looking colder! 

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The 50/50 possible fruition of decent cold whether by snap or spell has already gone 60/40 in colder favour. But lets get there firstbefore any talk of ppossible longevity is flagged. ?.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

That's good news on the ensembles BA. I like the sound of trough extensions undercutting or as we call them in my part of the country. A good old Dorset slider!!

It really would be good to get a decent block in place in time for the part of winter where the jet tends to lose some of its sting.  In fact I wonder if this what the Met are referring to in a round about way in the last part of he 16-30 day outlook.

• Like 1

Posted

Well we've seen some cracking output this evening but I remain very cautious when anything from the East is forecast, more so when it's a Scandi high as these often fail to push far enough westwards across the UK leaving those out in the West still under an Atlantic regime much like we've seen the past two winters. Leaving the pessimism aside from an IMBY perspective and I'm still more than pleased at what is being offered, in fact I really think we could be in for a stonking February with a trough to our SW and heights to our NE with or without  a SSW event although we will still need too see strong wave activity attacking the PV.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 5

Posted

i  know  people  are trying to see the American  weather  come here i cant  see it even  f1  if i am not right i put my hands up but at the moment the only days which we might see some  snow is  jan  17,18, 22  23 at  the  moment  and  that deep f1

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

Isnt our cold coming from the NE /Eastish tho and not from the US ??

• Like 1

Posted

ironically, the ecm control, whilst frigid for holland with a strong se flow, delivers an initial snow event to the east of the uk before plus zero 850's spread up post day 10. we then get the atlantic blocking spreading across our latitude.

Posted

It's underpinned by interesting signals from recent GloSea5 runs, just to confirm that point, but I might be able to discuss this a bit more shortly (possibly tomorrow) - thanks for patience on that.

thanks for finally 'spliing the beans' ian.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

It's underpinned by interesting signals from recent GloSea5 runs, just to confirm that point, but I might be able to discuss this a bit more shortly (possibly tomorrow) - thanks for patience on that.

Does this mean good news? i have no idea what this meansPosted Image

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

Does this mean good news? i have no idea what this meansPosted Image

Hi Biensie

It's a forecasting system used by UKMO (the Met Office one) since 2012 (the latest and greatest purportedly.)  I suspect that it too is picking up on colder options.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

Hi Biensie

It's a forecasting system used by UKMO (the Met Office one) since 2012 (the latest and greatest purportedly.)  I suspect that it too is picking up on colder options.

Thanks, Appreciated.  The suspense.....

• Like 3

Posted

Check out the direction of travel to the low West of Iceland..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20140107/18/72/h500slp.png

No, not West to East..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20140107/18/90/h500slp.png

East to West.

A good sign for sure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Check out the direction of travel to the low West of Iceland..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20140107/18/72/h500slp.png

No, not West to East..

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20140107/18/90/h500slp.png

East to West.

A good sign for sure.

Yes pressure is higher to the East than the 12z quite early in the run. Looking good in the reliable timeframe anyway and still trending the way we want.

Pressure lower to our South too which will hopefully make undercut easier/more likely.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Up to 102hrs on the GFS 18z and its still looking better with the relaxation of heights over Europe compared to the 12z which should allow the low to underut faster and more fluidly...

Posted Image