Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

When I look at the ecm mean it does look like a battleground scenario across the uk especially between 192-240 hours!!to my untrained eye it showing undercutting lows going into europe!!what do you think steve?obviously it looks a little bit watered out but thats because its the mean!

Posted

No change across Europe for the next 8 days which takes us to the half way point of winter on the 14th with the majority of Europe staying above average

Posted Image

Average temps left expected temps right

Posted ImagePosted Image

Clearly we don't have to like it, but I guess we do have to admire the sheer persistence and strength of the European warmth anomoly this winter, because it is now starting to look pretty damn impressive...and much of continental Europe looks set to become even warmer this week!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

CFSv2 keeping winter temperatures above average through January and March, and keeping us wet too!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CFSv2/htmls/euT2me2Mon.html

Looking forward to CFSv3 then..third time luckyPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

While mindful of IFs post regarding GloSea5, the other models GFS, ECM, etc do not use previous weather patterns as such, by that I mean that they don’t hold records of what happened on such and such a date, make comparisons and recalculate future synoptics based on what happened in the past, they are a pure mathematical model, they simulate the climate, in simple terms the latest data goes in and a result comes out, obviously they are constantly monitored in regards their performance and updated usually every few years.

Thank you for that bit of info, I asked a similar question a few weeks back as to whether the models were organic and "learnt" as they went along and gained new information. I would have thought by now with they available computing power that a model would have been able to do this by now. Is this what GloSea5 does?  

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO are running with only one key modification to their GM at T+144: shifting positionally & deepening the low centre out west to effectively match the EC solution (but Ops Centre stress the great uncertainty, given how GFS runs the low much higher around Lat 60N).

Into trend period, Shannon Entropy shifts to high levels and does so for the first time in a number of weeks. This alone should reinforce great caution on assessment of, e.g., NCEP's dogged return to zonality or for that matter any opposite extreme.

We aren't yet into timeframe of main NWP output where some key pattern changes may start to emerge towards turn of month.

so there is hope for february thenPosted Image or march?

• Like 3

Posted

So the UKMET Correcting west to the ECM solution.- Not surprising really..... much higher confidence & agreement.  GFS correcting west @90 but not enough to save the 06z from the bin. Seven the 06z NAVGEM has caught up.http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgeme_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&carte=1&archive=0

Indeed Steve. The 6z looks like fodder for the cannon. A pattern change is now afoot - thankfully. Epping Forest has become one giant puddle. Bone dry down here after tomorrow. FI starts after the weekend. All to play for.
  • Like 1

Posted

Clearly we don't have to like it, but I guess we do have to admire the sheer persistence and strength of the European warmth anomoly this winter, because it is now starting to look pretty damn impressive...and much of continental Europe looks set to become even warmer this week!!

There will be ice cream vans in hell before I "admire" evil mildness in the midst of winter.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Cant see much point in looking past charts like this on the 06z, i mess of shortwaves and height rises knocking around all over the place, giving what happens afterwards little credibility mild or Cold 

post-4955-0-29714200-1389004350_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

So the UKMET Correcting west to the ECM solution.- Not surprising really..... much higher confidence & agreement.

GFS correcting west @90 but not enough to save the 06z from the bin.

S

even the 06z NAVGEM has caught up.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgeme_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&carte=1&archive=0

which is a shame, as it ends on a very 'interesting' note-

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of scatter in the 00z ECM ensembles,but crucially the operational and the control

run both following the same cold path.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

After an uninspiring set of runs this morning the 06z FI is fraught with potential

Posted Image

The fact that it is has virtually no chance of occuring like that doesn't detract from the general trend that the block to the NE seems to be holding.

So grateful for small mercies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

this is the chart that would deserve a full on ramp

Posted Image

and the gem to

Posted Image

as you can see lowering heights into Europe wedge of heights heading northeast on the gem but the jma is a peach with heights right where you need it to be.

Europe over all into Russia and Scandinavia look likely to get much colder as for us location location springs to mind.

good post by steve murr and snowking today intresting thoughts indeed.

over all I still believe middle ground more likely as far as the models go out,as the vortex is not disrupted enough just yet for a clear cut run into colder uk weather although it must be stressed the middle ground im talking of being heights close or around the uk giving us a welcome break from the alantic onslaught and being settled enough for ground frost and slightly below day time temps.

there is how ever a slow build on heights becoming established in a more favoured spot for cold although still remaining in fi, I don't really see enough relaxation of some certain teleconnections to really build into something favourable at this time although I think we need to get a few more days of cross model agreement to secure and warrant a mass rush to buy a sledge.

from my reading of the charts today ive seen double step back by the ukmo but by far not the worst im intrigued to see if the gfs could be correct in rebooting the alantic later in fi.

but over all at this moment in time I do think a more middle ground situation is most likely so atleast the uk can dry out a bit.

Posted

I hope that colder risk includes snow and not just fine and dry.

• Like 1

The new update summary just posted by my UKMO colleagues at BBC Weather Centre precisely replicates what Ops Centre are currently considering as probable outcome:"Monday 20 January—Sunday 2 FebruaryStaying unsettled... at firstWhilst current indications point towards unsettled weather persisting through much of the rest of January, conditions are expected to be more typically unsettled for the winter season. Certainly early in this fortnight the pressure looks set to remain low to the southwest of Iceland.However, and this would be quite a change for this winter, there are some signals emerging for an increasing risk of a change to colder weather types towards the end of January. This would increase the potential for more settled conditions, leaving a lower risk of wet and windy spells than has recently been the case."

Thanks Ian,so we can pretty much write off Jan for cold (apart from maybe) the last few days.

Sounds to me like they are discounting any potential cold evolution from the ECM then..:(

Posted

Lots of scatter? The vast majority look poor,one hopes the op and control are leading the way or its a long wait for something cold!

Glass still half full!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Well I think the CFS models have the right solutions! Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 3

Posted

The new update summary just posted by my UKMO colleagues at BBC Weather Centre precisely replicates what Ops Centre are currently considering as probable outcome:"Monday 20 January—Sunday 2 FebruaryStaying unsettled... at firstWhilst current indications point towards unsettled weather persisting through much of the rest of January, conditions are expected to be more typically unsettled for the winter season. Certainly early in this fortnight the pressure looks set to remain low to the southwest of Iceland.However, and this would be quite a change for this winter, there are some signals emerging for an increasing risk of a change to colder weather types towards the end of January. This would increase the potential for more settled conditions, leaving a lower risk of wet and windy spells than has recently been the case."

Thanks Ian...everything remains on track then, just hope it actually delivers for the last third of Winter.

• Like 1