Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Time for a big straw to clutch...GFS for 17th Jan 2013

Posted Image

17 Jan 1947...

Posted Image

Not a million miles different, then from the above to this in a week...

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Time for a big straw to clutch...GFS for 17th Jan 2013

Posted Image

17 Jan 1947...

Posted Image

Not a million miles different, then from the above to this in a week...

Posted Image

stop it shed!!!! Edited by Fozfoster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

ECM at 144. I challenge anyone to rule out the Atlantic LP being 400 miles west with a little more of the core jet stream to our south. We are really close.

Loads of possibility there. Plenty of time for it to change in our favour.

I agree, we are really close here. And the closeness stays which suggests to me every chance of getting involved. Like I said yesterday or day before the window remains and its very much still there.

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted

Posted Image

Not surprised with the good mood. Look at where the center of the high is on the ECM ensemble mean at 168. Sure it does not quite work out on this occasion but the main thing is we have taken a MAJOR step toward cold this morning when you take the ECM and GFS in to account. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Is that Shed ramping..Posted Image

The trend seems to keep growing stronger for a colder last 3rd of Jan, very positive signs from the models this morning. I think this is where the real interest starts as the models start to look beyond the turnaround point over the coming days. Very interesting times for us model watches.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

So its about T120 when we see our first shot at heights building to the NE. As the Atlantic slows we see ridging heading to the uk and to Scandi from there. GEM says yes to this being a success:

post-14819-0-61977500-1388914291_thumb.p   ECM says not quite: post-14819-0-10556500-1388914328_thumb.g  GFS hints at it: post-14819-0-45864700-1388914397_thumb.p

The 0z GEFS have about 45% succeeding with building heights towards the NE on the first shot, to different degrees: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=144

The GEFS that built those heights keep them to the east or NE, similar split by D8.

Every GEFS that missed the first attempt at T120, by D8 those 55% all remain Zonal: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=192

If we assume that it is similar with the ECM ens, certainly the split in the Dutch ens suggests two clusters, temp wise: 

post-14819-0-23813800-1388914979_thumb.p  D5-D6 the initialisation of the main cluster spread.

Then our best shot of something interesting remains with the GEM synoptics and for the success of the initial amplification.

Its nice to have a possible shot of something interesting within the higher res.

• Like 1

Posted

Is that Shed ramping..Posted Image

The trend seems to keep growing stronger for a colder last 3rd of Jan, very positive signs from the models this morning. I think this is where the real interest starts as the models start to look beyond the turnaround point over the coming days. Very interesting times for us model watches.

Just trying to show what's possible PM, but at this stage not nescessarily probable imo.  Looking at this charts for the 17th though with it's deep Baffin PV and strong Euro High, it is encouraging to see just how quickly and dramatically things can change once heights start to build to our NE.  That is now precisely what we need to see happening.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

With the sun's recent activity and more to come next week I think the jetstream will be very much disrupted and changes sooner rather than later are anticipated. I'm surprised the models didn't kick on two days' ago, maybe today onwards

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

Everything slightly further west at T84 on the 06z, this is good news I think...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looking at the ECM composite anomaly charts over the last two runs we can see a trend in the right direction.

12Z Sat

Posted Imageget_orig_img-1.gif

00Z today

Posted Imageget_orig_img.gif

stronger anomaly to our NE seen on this and this is highlighted when looking at the daily anomalies.

We are seeing slight improvements with the NAEFS ensembles as well.

still think a shift in the pacific ridge is required...needs to shunt north into alaska which will reinforce any blocking pattern to the north and east of the UK and help to push the jet southwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Doesn't look like the 06z is going to come to the party.  Much flatter pattern, very different from the 0z at 162hrs

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Doesn't look like the 06z is going to come to the party. Much flatter pattern, very different from the 0z at 162hrs

Posted ImagePosted Image

I was thinking it was looking a tad better, with some tentative heights over Greenland and salvboard popping up around 162

But I get the bit about being flatter and this becomes more apparent around 180 arounds, much flatter and looks poorer at the end of hi res.

Edited by TSNWK

Posted

I was thinking it was looking a tad better, with some tentative heights over Greenland and salvboard popping up around 162

I would love to be wrong, but to my very much untrained eye, it all looks a bit too mobile and flat to me.  This at 186

Posted Image

Still time though!

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted

I would love to be wrong, but to my very much untrained eye, it all looks a bit too mobile and flat to me.  This at 186

Posted Image

Nope you were correct, I just edited my post above as well. Good call, sadly.....
  • Like 1

Posted

Nope you were correct, I just edited my post above as well. Good call, sadly.....

Nothing to worry about though, it's the 6z and we all know how poor that is!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Yes we need to keep our shoes firmly on the ground us coldies ,but some good signs creeping into the Models now .as i said ,if a big pattern change is out there i still expect swings of the main models ,so something of interest ,but next36 hrs could be very interesting .BUT good things sometimes takes time .catch up with you all later after tonights runs ,cheers .Posted Image

Posted

Bit late but the extended ECM ens are similar to the past couple runs. The battleground between the Atlantic and scandi blocking moved back over the UK again. This placement of the meeting of the two air masses will no doubt move around, run to run. The fact that the same overall pattern survives, run to run, is what's important. the Canadian vortex in the mid range digs the trough in the USA and does not push a lobe into the Atlantic. That allows ridging in our general locale of th NH. The jet then gets a further kick towards the end of week 2 and if we don't have our blocking in situ by then, we will no doubt succumb to it again. As per last weeks modelling, it all depends on the euro heights. they are again modelled by ECM to drop. both gefs and ECM were wrong about this last week. Is ECM right this time??

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

well we are starting to see signs of more consistency from the models now more so out to around t144hrs.

my only concern would be that the strat charts do show a split in the vortex but it soon reforms back to Greenland now can you have a reformed strat and have remaining heights to our ne?

would this type of scandi block and vortex over Greenland aid with more low pressure systems running se into Europe and under the block?

Posted

Doesn't look like the 06z is going to come to the party. 

But I get the bit about being flatter and this becomes more apparent around 180 arounds, much flatter and looks poorer at the end of hi res.

• Like 1

Posted

Just trying to show what's possible PM, but at this stage not nescessarily probable imo.  Looking at this charts for the 17th though with it's deep Baffin PV and strong Euro High, it is encouraging to see just how quickly and dramatically things can change once heights start to build to our NE.  That is now precisely what we need to see happening.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Indeed Shed and had this forum been around then there would have been much despondency, strong PV, big euro high I won’t use the B word, just goes to show what can happen. However things right across the NH were different then, arctic ice extent for one thing, back then sea ice coverage in August was as great as it is now at its greatest winter extent, so the winter ice pack back then must have been vast, I’m sure someone can find some data on that. My own theory and I stress that. Is that there is a correlation between winter sea ice cover and the prevalence of HLB across Greenland and Scandinavia and I seriously doubt if we could get another 47 or 63 unless that changes, leastwise our odds against it are substantially greater now. That of course doesn’t mean we can’t get HLB at all as recent years have shown, just that it’s less likely, certainly less likely to be of that extreme nature.

The 06z is out now but it’s done nothing to change my mind, although post mid range it looks substantially different from the 00z, the central theme remains, zonal, MLB, back to zonal, although there are again some hints at HLB it never really gets off the ground and only has a minimal impact on us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

GFS 6z does it's usual and steam rolls the Atlantic through as soon as it reaches low res.

• Like 2