Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

We seem to have rough x model agreement at day 5 now. What then happens remains uncertain but clearly, the momentum is with the less amplified solutions though not necessarily zonal in our latittude in our part of the NH. I wouldn't expect that we will no longer see any variations on the ops - it doesn't seem that clear cut as yet.

the trend in deep fi ens land isn't great if you're expecting a neg -AO to sustain.

The ECM extended last night showed a continuing 10/15% support for the scandi block (looking at Berlin and Warsaw). that has been consistent recently and yesterday's op was just plucked from that part of the ens. What intrigued was that the control was also from that chunk of members.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

We seem to have rough x model agreement at day 5 now. What then happens remains uncertain but clearly, the momentum is with the less amplified solutions though not necessarily zonal in our latittude in our part of the NH. I wouldn't expect that we will no longer see any variations on the ops - it doesn't seem that clear cut as yet.the trend in deep fi ens land isn't great if you're expecting a neg -AO to sustain.The ECM extended last night showed a continuing 10/15% support for the scandi block (looking at Berlin and Warsaw). that has been consistent recently and yesterday's op was just plucked from that part of the ens. What intrigued was that the control was also from that chunk of members.

Its bleak Nick it really is.

This winter is fast turning into an absolute disaster for cold weather fans.

That Euro high is just a gift that keeps giving..:(

• Like 1

Posted

In short the GFS sticks with zonal theme the, ECM does keep up with its blocking idea, days 8, 9, 10 but it’s all completely underwhelming for those of us looking for a pattern change to something colder, a small consolation would be that if the ECM is right about some kind of block setting up (which I seriously doubt) then its only to be expected that it will chop and change over the coming days on how that is going to evolve, so no need to get hung up on this run.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the ECM ens seem reasonably supportive of the op this morning. pressure rising over Europe bringing drier weather. There is good support for a wedge of heights drifting towards Scandinavia, unfortunately most seem to want to drive the jet over the top sinking the high into the grips of the ridge over Southern Europe.

I guess though that anything is better than more rain.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Dreadful overnight runs. There's no sign of 'pattern changes' just a continued Atlantic conveyor belt of zonality. All that promise has been sucked up by the jetstream pummelling into the UK. 

More of the same.

One small consolation WIB is that while zonal still looks the order of the day it does appear that it’s going to run out of zip, zonal but not as vigorous from mid week, wind wise at least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Dreadful overnight runs. There's no sign of 'pattern changes' just a continued Atlantic conveyor belt of zonality. All that promise has been sucked up by the jetstream pummelling into the UK. More of the same.

This mornings medium range output does not resemble the zonal weather we have had so far.See Captains post. Edited by winterof79
  • Like 4

Posted

Well the ECM ens seem reasonably supportive of the op this morning. pressure rising over Europe bringing drier weather. There is good support for a wedge of heights drifting towards Scandinavia, unfortunately most seem to want to drive the jet over the top sinking the high into the grips of the ridge over Southern Europe.

I guess though that anything is better than more rain.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I liked it captain - sniffed a bit of a split jet and undercutting. Much better for coldies than expected though need some naefs support before getting too interested. This isn't over by any means and that ens run looks to be trending in corinthian's direction. Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I agree Winter79, and how some posters can not see a pattern change towards the end of the month is beyond me. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Look at the difference from run to run from last night's control at T348:

post-14819-0-10814400-1388825211_thumb.p

We can assume the control has flipped as well.

GEM mean at T240: post-14819-0-77100000-1388825577_thumb.p

Better Dutch ens run:  post-14819-0-39782400-1388825722_thumb.p

Possibly a pressure build to our east having more ens support and the D10 mean is supportive of the Atlantic more docile than the GFS mean:

post-14819-0-80029400-1388825860_thumb.g  GFSpost-14819-0-87170900-1388825924_thumb.p

But things may be changing: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/451924/Snow-and-arctic-winds-to-plunge-Britain-into-deep-freeze-after-storm-destruction

The usual suspects were watching last night's ECM op/control or do they have insight into the Met's signal for later this month?

The potential remains for some sort of pattern change based on the ECM mean so more runs needed before I roll with the GFS FI.

• Like 5

Posted

I liked it captain - sniffed a bit of a split jet and undercutting. Much better for coldies than expected though need some naefs support before getting too interested. This isn't over by any means and that ens run looks to be trending in corinthian's direction.

Any news on the extended ens. BA?

The day 10 ensemble mean and anomalies look mighty promising.

edit.

extended ens.look colder than yesterday's 12z as posted above.

http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/vijftiendaagse/Data/15DAAGSE_06260_NWT.png?6767676767

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Back to zonal unsettled across the board this morning with a typical oscillating cool / mild west to east type regime from the GEFS.

Posted Image

The lone cold outlier p5 is a very brief easterly before it quickly collapses and then back to the usual dross

Posted Image

Posted Image

very brief then

Posted Image

The ECM mean does try with the Scandi HP

Posted Image

But it gets swept away

Posted Image

At least the DeBilt ENS look reasonable so all hope not lost yet

Posted Image

it does look like a pattern change is afoot but to exactly what is unsure tbh.

Edited by Purga

Posted

I agree Winter79, and how some posters can not see a pattern change towards the end of the month is beyond me. 

Perhaps you could explain how you see the pattern change coming about PM?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So are the UKMO ignoring the ECM? and going with their in house view. Or have they been infiltrated by an undercover Net Weather operative determined to stop the influx of NW members to the trauma unit after the ECM 32 bombshell last night?

Apparently Ian will be sent to a Russian Gulag if he spills the beans! We'll soon have to print those t-shirts with Free Ian!

Night all, see you all tomorrow for what could be a pivotal day in the search for some cold and snow.

John Le Carre aside, it feels there's a pattern change afoot or should that be regime change? Posted Image  It's pretty rare to get a whole winter of Atlantic muck, last time that happened was 1988 IIRC - I remember sitting glumly in the car with this winter coat on wondering why I hadn't bought a mac instead.

I don't see why it's all a big secret.... doesn't the taxpayer pay to know what the weather men think? They claimed they knew about December 2010, but kept it from the public, or the govt told them to keep it from the public... Why?

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Just a quick one, we seem to be honing in on 9-12 as the possible pivotal point where arctic heights try to move down and a 'weak' ridge extends up to slow the Atlantic.  That window was taken yesterday, today not so but it isn't discarded, the window remains, what happens after that period is up for grabs and HAS NOT changed....But before that this storm for Sun / Mon looks a bit beefier to me and more concern ahead.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The 00z ECM op has come more in line with GFS and UKMO this morning keeping this general westerly flow going.

Not quite as stormy later next week with some idea of those heights building over the continent ridging north towards the southern UK. although this may be transient.

The problem is still upstream with the Canadian/W.Greenland vortex that continues to feed the jet coming off the Eastern seaboard into the Atlantic.

The occasional idea of ridging towards Scandinavia by the ECM shows some hope that if and when the vortex warms from it's very cold state then this could develop into something that will halt the Atlantic train at a later time.

At the moment though there's just too much forcing to our nw which overcomes any wedges of heights that try to develop.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

The weather being dynamic will I am sure teach us another lesson and any change will be swift and unforeseen. Which, I guess is why we have models .... to try and second guess the weather.

• Like 1

Posted

I don’t think there is any doubt the models are indicating a pattern change of sorts, I don’t think anyone can dispute that, the question is are the models indicating a pattern change to much colder synoptics of the sort most of us are hoping for and the answer to that at the moment I’m afraid is, no they are not. Now nobody is saying that there is no chance for that to change or that there are no indicators for that kind of change whatsoever, but I really can’t see the point in dressing up what remain a pretty poor outlook for a major pattern change, you can’t conjure it up by being enthusiastic for it to happen. The pattern change that looks the most likely at this point in time is still largely zonal, but less vigorous than of late with some chance of high pressure having a greater influence on our weather than it has been of late, I would say day 7 plus, depending on which model run you have the most faith in, if blocking is to occur then some sort of MLB rather than HLB seems to be the more likely to me at this time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Perhaps you could explain how you see the pattern change coming about PM?

The pattern change is that we should be looking at this output medium term

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014010400/UN144-21.GIF?04-06

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010400/ECH1-144.GIF?04-12

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014010400/gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Which has stopped the barrelling of low pressure system towards us as before

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfsnh-2013122800-0-6.png

The black hole of a PV has been removed.And the raging jet should subside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Half way between Doncaster and Barnsley south yorkshire
  • Location: Half way between Doncaster and Barnsley south yorkshire

Morning,

This driving everything for me at the moment,

Posted Image

Ensembles nothing to shout about,

Posted Image

Day 10 means support a continuation of the status quo,

OTHER 8 to 10 DAY 500MB MEAN RECENT RUN (12UTC)
RETURN LINKS E-WALL HOME
Posted Image

Data available does suggest a continuation of the zonal pattern.Tropospheric vortex forecast to weaken but is still going to be unfavourable for heights to rise bringing cold to the uk.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow

An emerging number of MOGREPS members are starting to show much colder solutions by end of the trend period (15d). This hadn't been the case recently.

There's your answer shedhead. It's pretty obvious the pattern is changing to be fair. It's just we don't know to what pattern yet. Edited by steelermark
  • Like 6