Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

As others have elluded to, no major change from last night.  The full De Bilt ensembles are pretty ordinary and the day 10 ECMWF ensemble chart posted by Gibby is very uninspiring.

http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/vijftiendaagse/index.php

Things can change and probably will at some point - time will tell as ever.

• Like 2

Posted

Well to me the models have the most potential they have all winter this morning.

GFS and ECM are very interesting post 144hrs and i would be quite optimistic this morning for cold weather potential towards the middle/late Jan.

This chart from the ECMWF is full of potential:

Posted Image

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Matty very positive signs this morning, very interesting model watching indeed over the coming days. 

• Like 6

Posted

Yep...but maybe not until DecPosted Image

Thats a frightening prospect for a coldie :(

Posted

This chart from the ECMWF is full of potential:

well each to their own interpretation Matty but I don't see where. Perhaps you can explain what you see that I don't please?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

It's very confusing for newbies reading posts on this thread today...one post lots of potential next post no hope...who are people ment to believe

• Like 6

Posted

It's very confusing for newbies reading posts on this thread today...one post lots of potential next post no hope...who are people ment to believe

Lots of cold /mild bias on here you will get used to it..if all else fails just look out the window that will never fail you.

Posted

It depends on which model, what time frame, the preferences of the poster and level of knowledge - you have been through one winter, you'll know by now where the unbiased comments originate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Lots of cold /mild bias on here you will get used to it..if all else fails just look out the window that will never fail you.

I know there's cold/mild bias but it's ridiculous this morning, how can you interpret the models so differently
  • Like 1

Posted

The GFS 0z stratosphere charts shown on instant weather maps seem odd to me this morning.

The warming has down graded from where we were a couple of days ago and yet it is showing

a sblit almost at the 10mb and 30mb level. With this to a lesser extent filtering all the way down

to the 100mb level and troposphere hence the blocking to the north in the FI range of the model

output.

The ECM stratosphere charts now showing warming in the 10 day range at 10mb and 30mb levels.

I feel a lot more optimistic again this morning regarding the last two weeks of January especially

with the ECM model picking up on the warming and therefore would disregard the EC32 update at

the present time.

10mb GPH chart. 30mb GPH chart

post-10506-0-81091700-1388744512_thumb.g post-10506-0-55032200-1388744607_thumb.g

100mb GPH chart

post-10506-0-90196200-1388744651_thumb.g

• Like 5

Posted

I know there's cold/mild bias but it's ridiculous this morning, how can you interpret the models so differently

There was a decent GFS this morning, that's it really. Background signals are poor for cold, Ec32 is poor for cold but don't seem to have the profile of the GFS operational runs.

Posted

I know your right difficult is not the word i personally read Gibbys posts and John holmes and if their posts arnt looking great i read Frostys as he sees the positive in everything even if its 1million hours out.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

CFS Long range model still showing a well below average March and then summer looks to be going down the

plug hole big time, no sign of high pressure over the uk at all and its been showing this for a while .

Shotski

• Like 2

Posted

Is this a Scandy high coming, looks good at T276

First eye candy at semi FI range for a while

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I know your right difficult is not the word i personally read Gibbys posts and John holmes and if their posts arnt looking great i read Frostys as he sees the positive in everything even if its 1million hours out.

I agree two posts at 7.46 and 7.48 said " no cold signal overnight" and then "great charts for coldies" respectively. I know this is model discussion, but it doesn't not help the newbie or beginner.

Sorry if a bit off topic!

Edited by mjking73
  • Like 2

Posted

The models continue to edge towards consensus upstream in terms of the inland runner low, in a typical model switch the GFS has gone from zero to hero because its output at least shows some potential before the lower resolution.

The ECM I'm afraid is crxp over the UK! I can see a way to cold with the GFS, sadly the ECM gets an A for frustration!

The GFS is more amplified with the upstream energy and has more dig to the PV, we don't quite have the right angle of WAA towards Svalbard but it could still develop, the ECM has already phased energies and its game over as thats flatter with the PV.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

CFS Long range model still showing a well below average March and then summer looks to be going down the

plug hole big time, no sign of high pressure over the uk at all and its been showing this for a while .

Shotski

The dear, old CFS is having a hard time of things just now, isn't it?

• Like 2

Posted

This looks a really cold GFS, no comment?? I guess it's unlikely to happen then

Posted

Fantastic GFS FI, lack of comments are a bit bewildering. Anyway, after this mornings ens I'm slightly more optimistic now, but let's give it a few days yet. Easterly central though in candy land!

• Like 7

Posted

Meanwhile,as early as Saturday...

Posted Image14010412_0306.gif

Some fun for Ireland?

Problem is those charts are notorious for overdoing snow/snow potential. Given everything I can see some low level sleet is likely, but any wet snow will be confined to higher elevations unless the rain becomes heavy enough for evap cooling. 

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted

As long as people post charts to back up their comments I don't see what the problem is, we all have our own opinions which is why I like posting on here..as well as being the BEST weather site in the universe. :-)

I think you'll find there's a better one on Pluto...with a very active winter model watching thread....Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2