2014 Tennis thread

Terribly sad Nick. So young & a real talent, She could have gone achieved so much more without all of the troubles she faced,

She did so well considering she had a constant battle with injuries and the chronic liver condition, then to have this cancer. Liver cancer is just so awful, its often one of the absolute worst in terms of spreading so quickly but I'm just shocked at how quickly considering she was only diagnosed in March.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, a shame. British hopes rest on Robson then.

Been busy recently with uni stuff but Nikishori and Dimitrov have won tournaments and Raonic is now the world number 9.

Madrid this coming week sees the big 4. Djokovic probably has the easiest draw. Fed or Murray could well have each other in the QF followed by Nadal in the SF and then Djokovic in the F.

What desperately sad news to hear of Elena Baltacha losing her battle against liver cancer. She really had to overcome so many hurdles in her tennis career, then to have this dreadful cancer when she was moving on to a new chapter in her life.

This really is terrible news, so so young as well.

Edited by J10

Aye, a shame. British hopes rest on Robson then.

Been busy recently with uni stuff but Nikishori and Dimitrov have won tournaments and Raonic is now the world number 9.

Madrid this coming week sees the big 4. Djokovic probably has the easiest draw. Fed or Murray could well have each other in the QF followed by Nadal in the SF and then Djokovic in the F.

and Watson as well.

Federer's child was born yesterday, as such he withdrew. Warwinka also lost.

I can't see Nadal being beat now but if he slips up then Murray won't get a better chance at a clay masters.

Murray won the first set but lost to Nadal. Djokovic went on to win in Rome and may well take the number 1 spot at the French Open should Nadal not win.

Two minor tournaments this week, nobody of note. 

One has to wonder (for the nth time) whether the incredible strain Nadal puts on his body is beginning to tell.

I don't think it is yet but he is incredibly fit and let's face it, genetically gifted. One does struggle to see him playing another 5 years like Federer though.

• 2 weeks later...

French Open this week..

Nadal: Defending a W

Djokovic: - Defending a SF

Murray: - Defending 0 points (injury last year)

Del Potro: N/A (Injured and aiming to come back for August/September - ill last year though so holds steady on points)

Federer: - Defending a QF

Raonic: Loses 0 points (has defended R3)

Hewitt: R1 (losses 0 points)

Tomic: R1 (looses 0 points)

Federer, Djokovic and Raonic on court today.

Raonic won his R3 match and thus will gain points.

Murray will be back on court tomorrow, it's 7-7 in the 5th set so at 11am you'll have to tune in and find out whether he survives or not.

Raonic won his R3 match and thus will gain points.

Murray will be back on court tomorrow, it's 7-7 in the 5th set so at 11am you'll have to tune in and find out whether he survives or not.

He did survive ;) Won the last set 12-10

Murray did well to get to the semis, never going to beat Nadal on grass, and never came close to be brutally honest.

By my reckoning back up to 5th in the world rankings.

Murray did well to get to the semis, never going to beat Nadal on grass, and never came close to be brutally honest.

By my reckoning back up to 5th in the world rankings.

0n grass? hopefully Nadal will have a better Wimbledon, he has won Wimbledon, but think grass is still his weakest surface

5th and should due to the formula used (takes into account last years grass tournaments) be seeded 3rd at Wimbledon. Ferrer suffered here defending the final as he falls to 7th. Raonic stays 9th but gains points and one expects that he'll take 8th once Del Potro can't defend his grass points.

Murray played nowhere close to his best today (i say that as somebody who often goes against him due to disliking the blind Murray love from neutrals), his game lacked energy and his strategy was to do what he did the other week when he took a set off Nadal then lost, the courts this year at the FO seem to be slower than normal so that has played to Nadal's favour plus an extremely kind draw and general lack of a test for him. He did play well though.

0n grass? hopefully Nadal will have a better Wimbledon, he has won Wimbledon, but think grass is still his weakest surface

I mean clay of course.

Yeah, clay is by far his weakest surface. Murray probably has an edge over Fed and Nadal on grass now but one suspects that if they got to the final that killer instinct would kick in.