Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 31/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Here we are a new thread and the last day of another year....hopefully 2014 will bring good things to everyone in this region including lots of white stuff to get the snow cup going .. Posted Image

post-10773-0-28491200-1388448579_thumb.j

I have a feeling things are going to get much colder after the 5th and within another couple of weeks from then there could well be something to measure....

I have my reasons and I will tell you what they are nearer the time but something around the 14-18th January wouldn't surprise me at all Posted Image

Happy new years eve to you all - hopefully I will catch up on here later if I'm still standing Posted Image

link to the previous thread.....

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78862-south-east-east-anglia-regional-weather-discussion-241213/page-40

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Portsmouth, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire & West Sussex

Further rain, heavy at times, is expected to spread quickly northeastwards on Wednesday. Rainfall totals are expected to be widely 10-20 mm, but as much as 30-40 mm over some south facing coasts and hills. South or southwesterly gales with gusts 50-60 mph may also accompany the rain.

With ground already saturated over much of this area, the public should be aware of the risk of further localised flooding.

This is an update to the warning issued on Sunday, extended to include parts of S Wales. There are still some uncertainties in the detail and the public are advised to continue to monitor for further updates.

Issued at:

1224 on Mon 30 Dec 2013

Valid from:

0600 on Wed 1 Jan 2014

Valid to:

2359 on Wed 1 Jan 2014

Another active Atlantic frontal system and deepening area of low pressure is expected to push north eastwards across the UK on Wednesday, followed by active troughs. A combination of strong winds and very moist air will give locally significant rainfall accumulations especially over south-facing coasts and hills. SE England is particularly prone to further flooding. The more persistent rain should clear eastwards later on Wednesday and overnight into Thursday, but heavy showers will follow on.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1388534400

• Like 1

Posted

Here we are a new thread and the last day of another year....hopefully 2014 will bring good things to everyone in this region including lots of white stuff to get the snow cup going .. Posted Image

Posted Image1385095656_New Year.jpg

I have a feeling things are going to get much colder after the 5th and within another couple of weeks from then there could well be something to measure....

I have my reasons and I will tell you what they are nearer the time but something around the 14-18th January wouldn't surprise me at all Posted Image

Happy new years eve to you all - hopefully I will catch up on here later if I'm still standing Posted Image

link to the previous thread.....

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78862-south-east-east-anglia-regional-weather-discussion-241213/page-40

Thanks for all your hard work this year and I hope you get something to measure around the 14th -18th Jan that's not a surprise lol. Chris

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

I don't know how that happened but my post ended up in the middle of your one MK I was quoting!!!This was for MK lolThanks for all your hard work this year and I hope you get something to measure around the 14th -18th Jan that's not a surprise lol. Chris Edited by blackprince
  • Like 2

This came out my brain when I woke up this morning...

Really stupid question... But has anybody had a thought that sea temperature may be a key to why we are seeing this pattern? I mean I know it was (last time I checked) much warmer than it should be this time of year because of the summer we had.. I have not looked back and compared charts with the sea temp and what weather we had.

But if we see a mild winter which we are currently, and a really warm spring and summer... Those French imports won't find it hard to cross our "warmer than average" channel Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all. After a very mixed and emotional day yesterday, hopefully back to normal today, with a birth and death in the same day and the likelyhood of the saga of the Charlton take over collapsing or hopefully being hijacked by another syndicate it all got a bit too much, even managed to crucify a turkey curry and bugger up a very expensive card for the proud new parents and got into trouble over both of those and then she finally lost it with me when I done the same mistake of the bag for the teddy, guess whose going to bluewater this morning. Think you can say I had a very costly, upsetting and frustrating day yesterday, It was not helped by the two mistakes which annoyed me as much as the wife, just sometimes my brain does not communicate correctly to my hands, so I can understand why her indoors isn't speaking to me, although I thought it was a little harsh to say I done it deliberately so I had to go to bluewater again, surely no man in his right mind ever wants to go to that hell hole.

After bluewater off to she little Evelyn and welcome her into the family, hopefully shoulder permitting I will get a cuddle, I'm sure the teddy will be a big hit, he's got a lovely duffle coat so he won't get cold, but feel sorry for the second teddy whose got to fit onto her push chair as he's naked, but he got fur so I hope he will be all right.

Suppose I better put something about the weather, rain drops on the windows this morning, let's hope there not to much rain as its I got a good hours drive into the heart of Kent to see Evelyn today, and with the flooding and trees down that might not be an easy drive.

Hope you all have an enjoyable day today, and everything goes well as can be expected, and be careful on the roads. Plus please can we have some seasonal weather, nice cold, crisp and sunny days, with an odd snow shower around 7pm from a northerly, that's slowly turns easterly, which then leads to a good dumping from a Thames streamer so Dartford can win the cup, as it's the only cup I going to see won in my lifetime, unless I change my team.

I see I just completed 700 posts, I wonder how many weather related ? I think at least 10 :-)

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 7

Posted

morning  surrey went to bed after looking at  the models  thinking  things are going to settle down!! then this  morning it cant get any worse it  can,  looking at the rain coming could get a bit heavy later  for a  time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Really stupid question... But has anybody had a thought that sea temperature may be a key to why we are seeing this pattern? I mean I know it was (last time I checked) much warmer than it should be this time of year because of the summer we had.. I have not looked back and compared charts with the sea temp and what weather we had.

But if we see a mild winter which we are currently, and a really warm spring and summer... Those French imports won't find it hard to cross our "warmer than average" channel Posted Image

Very good point there Surrey. It has came to my notice as well. We only have to look back to the 90's and there seemed to be a clear correlation with warm SST's, warm winters and some impressive imports off the continent. Hopefully this could be something similar happening now. I'd settle for some amazing storms in return for lack of snow/cold.
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all :) damp dark and breezy walk to work along Birdcage this morning. very grey out there but depressingly mild too.

anyone else in work today?

Posted

Currently there's not much of an anomaly across any part of the North Atlantic  --  with the exception of a hot spot between Iceland and Greenland and a cold spot near the Grand Banks

post-9318-0-56075400-1388479252_thumb.gi

from http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst_anom.gif

Actual temperatures (rather than anomalies ) here

post-9318-0-72694500-1388479611_thumb.gi

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst.gif

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

Pretty big land slip.. http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/alerts.aspx With the deluge today and then tomorrow... This is only going to make the problems much worse.. sigh..

Blimey, that's not good. Another night of wind and rain and it's all heading over your way. Anyone with a risk of flooding should really take precautions to minimise risk of damage I.e. get all those photos upstairs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Cloudy, wet and breezy here. Yuk!

Getting really fed up with this pattern now. It's not caused, or likely to cause, me too many issues, but it must be a nightmare for people who are at risk of flooding and who are constantly glued to the crap forecasts. :(

Can't do anything about it though, but whinge!

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry no, although I have sent the wife of to work this morningPosted Image

i didnt send mine to work today .... thats why i've come in :winky: :lol:

Morning Cakie :) are you lost? or just sharing yourself around the SE and SW regional threads :D

• Like 3

Yes it appears we have a completely different weather pattern to  what we have been used to and I notice the lack of posts in the model thread from certain members and last night there was heated words about using Stat or Trop in the thread and a few got in a right old StropPosted Image .

Just had a heavy shower go through and awaiting the next frontal band which looks pretty heavy if it holds together as it crosses the county, mild this morning at 8.4c.

Keeping the faith in respect of snow, we never had anything here until around the middle of January this year (2013).

• Like 1

Posted

i didnt send mine to work today .... thats why i've come in :winky: :lol:Morning Cakie :) are you lost? or just sharing yourself around the SE and SW regional threads :D

Not lost, just giving you lot a heads up of what is coming your wayYou should know by now us lot in the South West test drive most of the weather for the South EastSeriously though, I would urge people to take care. The ground is saturated and we have just had a lot of rain which is heading your way. Keep an eye on the squall line at the front, it may fizzle out but it was intense when it hit
  • Like 2

Posted

Not lost, just giving you lot a heads up of what is coming your way

You should know by now us lot in the South West test drive most of the weather for the South East

Seriously though, I would urge people to take care. The ground is saturated and we have just had a lot of rain which is heading your way. Keep an eye on the squall line at the front, it may fizzle out but it was intense when it hit

yeah, it is quite waterlogged here. not sure how much rain the london clay can soak up, but i reckon there will be problems next summer as the ground has been saturated then dried out. could see quite a few cracked buildings in London Posted Image

keep safe down that way :D

Currently there's not much of an anomaly across any part of the North Atlantic  --  with the exception of a hot spot between Iceland and Greenland and a cold spot near the Grand Banks

Posted Imagesst_anom.gif

from http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst_anom.gif

Actual temperatures (rather than anomalies ) here

Posted Imagesst.gif

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst.gif

So say the average in winter is 6-10 degrees sea temp... Then this.. shows it is much warmer on the Western side and Channel..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Pretty big land slip.. http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/alerts.aspx With the deluge today and then tomorrow... This is only going to make the problems much worse.. sigh..

They were warned! Probably more to come
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the weather is exactly the same as yesterday.

Absolute cack.... that is all.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all. Thanks for the heads up Cakie! Rain situation does not look good and just as I type that my rain alarm goes off.

Surrey, landslides were the one issue that Network Rail were very concerned about. There was a landslide around the Tonbridge area before we had the big storm and after the storm there were a few major landslides. I think the ones that are still causing problems are the one you mentioned at Haslemere and there is another one at Ockley disrupting the line between Horsham and Dorking. Luckily the OH is on annual leave until Monday as the 1 hour and 20 min journey up to London is taking over 2 hours at the moment with these problems on top of the major engineering work going on the line. What happens if Mondays storm comes to fruition is anybody's guess but not looking good for commuters.

• Like 1

Morning all. Thanks for the heads up Cakie! Rain situation does not look good and just as I type that my rain alarm goes off.

Surrey, landslides were the one issue that Network Rail were very concerned about. There was a landslide around the Tonbridge area before we had the big storm and after the storm there were a few major landslides. I think the ones that are still causing problems are the one you mentioned at Haslemere and there is another one at Ockley disrupting the line between Horsham and Dorking. Luckily the OH is on annual leave until Monday as the 1 hour and 20 min journey up to London is taking over 2 hours at the moment with these problems on top of the major engineering work going on the line. What happens if Mondays storm comes to fruition is anybody's guess but not looking good for commuters.

Well I am just about to leave for London as we are spending the day there but coming back about 2-3 today.. but with the rain today, tonight and tomorrow, and the following days.. the flooding issue is sure going to get a lot worse Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

So say the average in winter is 6-10 degrees sea temp... Then this.. shows it is much warmer on the Western side and Channel..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Which is why Easterlies (especially strong Easterlies) off a cold continent can deliver lots of snow.  Enough time to pick up SOME moisture, but not enough time to warm sufficiently to make it rain rather than snow.

I think that, although the North Sea is warmer than recent years, it's because of these relentless south westerlies.  At Cromer today the sea temp is 7.0C if this site is to be believed, I reckon that's between 1 and 1.5 degrees higher than last year

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather