Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Quiet here too. Always good to get updates in here without trawling through several regional threads.

Keep the reports coming in, plastic bag in my the back garden has not moved yet..the dog licked it..LEAVE IT!!!! good lad.

• Like 1

Strange this is.... Reports of strong winds in North Wales and here in Solihull the WestMidlands, Not even a leaf moving on a branch!

So this is what they call, The calm before the STORM Posted Image

It was the same here until 6 when winds started to pick up! Some severe gusts in there, will be surprised if the electricity stayed on! Plenty of bins and so on flying around the place!

• Like 1

Keep the reports coming in, plastic bag in my the back garden has not moved yet..the dog licked it..LEAVE IT!!!! good lad.

The start of the strong winds has now reached the Pennines so it should be with you in an hour or so.
  • Like 2

Anyone else having a very hard time loading the forum?

Anyway, back on topic: Meteogroup just tweeted a windmap, showing where the strongest gusts have been so far. Highest so far iss 74mph.

Posted Image

Have observed some very strong pressure falls at K4 buoy in Donegal Bay, 17.4 mb in 3 hrs at one point earlier today is (as JH would confirm) about as large as you're ever going to see outside of a strong hurricane. Looks to me as though system could reach 940 mb or possibly 938 somewhere north of Malin Head late tonight then track through Scotland gradually filling slightly into mid-940s. Ireland already fully engaged and people generally informed about the details, most regions will see their strongest winds late tonight and early tomorrow with gusts to 150 km/hr not out of the question. I feel that similar conditions will easily reach north Wales and exposed parts of northwest England, southwest Scotland. As for Northern Ireland, it could be a little less extreme in the north as the storm's "eye" or inner circulation won't be as extreme but a tight gradient will exist between 70 km/hr and 120 km/hr gusts across the far north.

If you're in an exposed area of the UK reading this, would consider moving to a safer location now while winds are not as extreme. There could be some severe damage and the Lancs coast could have some massive waves and surges especially around time of normal high tide. The strongest winds will be from the WSW -- if you're high up or near sea level and exposed to that direction, take emergency action now.

Oh dear. That description fits my location almost exactly.

Thank you for such an informative post.

From being a very quiet evening with hardly a breath of wind, suddenly it's picking up now and is getting gusty. A little light rain, too. Currently 4.0oC.

Winds picking up here now, getting rough. The rain is quite a bit heavier than what the radar is showing, persistent heavy rain for a few hours now and the cold front should come into life soon as it crosses. Garden is a lake again, ground is so saturated after the last storm, had 105mm from that over 36 hours.

I think this storm will be worse for Ireland this time, low at its deepest phase with tightest southern flank gradient over Eire tonight and tomorrow morning as it passes close to the north coast of N. Ireland. Low fills out as it crosses N. Scotland tomorrow early afternoon.

Gusts of 83mph offshore to south of Ireland and already gusts of 70-75mph along coasts of southern Ireland - with peak gusts to come after midnight IMO.

N Wales and N England still likely to see wind gust of 60-70mph tomorrow though, maybe up to 80mph along western coasts and hills.