Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Posted Image

Am I reading this right? Or have I got the wrong chart... I rarely use these..

My understanding of it is that the colours relate to kph at 950 millibars and the arrows with the fleches, or barbules, relate to knots - these normally denote 5 knots for a half fleche, 10 knots for a full one and 50 knots for a triangular fleche.

Noeuds is knots in French.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Going by the latest NMM output, I think the MO have it spot on, I'm not seeing a warrant for an amber warning (not to say there won't be) but if one is issued, it's likely to be a more localised one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Going by the latest NMM output, I think the MO have it spot on, I'm not seeing a warrant for an amber warning (not to say there won't be) but if one is issued, it's likely to be a more localised one.

Yes, perhaps just Irish Sea coasts, so maybe NW England coast? Yellow elsewhere with current warning area extended slightly further south would be my guess.

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted

Posted Image

Am I reading this right? Or have I got the wrong chart... I rarely use these..

I think folks post these because it makes it look worse than it is, those colours catch the eye.

It is however, the wind speeds at 2500ft. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yes, perhaps just Irish Sea coasts, so maybe NW England coast? Yellow elsewhere with current warning area extended slightly further south would be my guess.

I agree with your thoughts and the BBC are downplaying this storm somewhat but the isobars look incredibly close together across Northern England on Friday morning and with the westerly direction it will certainly make travel on the North South roads A1 M6 etc interesting.Sea front at Blackpool will be bracing.

Posted

METO update now includes my area. Let's hope for a more northerly track. Although bizarrely predicted wind speeds and gusts marginally less than yesterday's forecast.

Edited by Tim M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

The METO haven't as yet updated and I'll be surprised if they up it. Strong winds for Ireland and the north as already stated

just been updated.still yellow but area has been extended southwards slightly.

Posted

All ferries cancelled between Ireland and the UK tomorrow. Trying to rearrange my trip home, along with 1200 other passengers, so it's a long wait on the phone. Pity these companies haven't cottoned on to changing booking on the web!

Posted

My concern is rain here, rivers have burst their banks, plenty of flooded areas etc.. I Have damage to my chimney which was caused by the recent storms but it can't be fixed until the new year, more rainfall will cause more damage inside. :(

After yesterday's deluges, I'm at 153mm for the month, another 20 to 30mm possibly tomorrow, and more on Sunday/Monday. My wettest month was last year, at 195mm, the flooding was horrendous then.. :mellow:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Posted
Yes rough day coming up across much of Northern England tomorrow looking at the charts.IMBY we missed most of the damaging winds experienced by others but unless it tracks further north, this looks like our turn.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Amber warnings also for wind in the North East, Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

Edited by NL
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Amber warnings also for wind in the North East, Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

Cheers NL - ITV news has completely missed the north out and only mentioned Wales, Southern England and Scotland in their bulletin for tomorrow .....

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1

Posted

ESTOFEX http://www.estofex.org/ Level 1 for Northern Ireland and Western Scotland.

mention the possibility of a few storms this evening into Ireland and the chance of a tornado can't be ruled out. Bowing lines are possible over Northern BI with strong LL vertical wind shear forecasted.

Northern British IslesA new storm will affect the northern British Isles late in the period. Along the cold front, rather stable conditions are expected, and severe thunderstorms are rather unlikely. The best potential of a few embedded thunderstorms exost across northern Irleland on Thursday evening. These storms, however, may be capable of producing severe wind gusts given the strong background wind field. Additionally, a tornado is not ruled out.In the wake of the cold front, a well mixed maritime air mass will enter the northern British Isles. Especially near the base of the trough, thunderstorms are possible. Given strong low-level vertical wind shear, some bowing lines are forecast to enhance the wind potential and a level 1 is warranted.

post-5386-0-62025000-1388063359_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber warning for strong winds

Issued at: 1211 on Thu 26 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0600 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Valid to: 1800 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Widespread gales are likely to develop across the area late on Thursday evening and last much of Friday. The worst of the winds are likely to transfer across northwest Wales and much of northern England during the day on Friday bringing gusts of 60 to 70 mph widely with locally 80 mph gusts affecting west coasts and high ground for a time. The public should be prepared for disruption to transport and power supplies.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another deep area of low pressure now developing over the Atlantic will bring another spell of very windy weather across the UK as it tracks northeastwards, crossing northern Scotland during the second half of Friday. To the south of the low pressure centre, a swathe of severe gales is likely to cross northwest Wales and much of northern England. The worst of the winds should ease on Friday evening.

Areas affected

Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey

Blackpool, Cumbria, Lancashire

Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

North Yorkshire

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Ahh tomorrow is looking very interesting one more should nail it. Will we see another 70mph gust??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Gosh, the north east is right in the firing line this time.  Surprised to see the impacts of the winds here projected to be worse than for western Scotland and Northern Ireland.

post-17125-0-27918400-1388064823_thumb.j

Edited by Chris W

Posted

Ahh tomorrow is looking very interesting one more should nail it. Will we see another 70mph gust??

Any chance of a more northerly track Pit? Not far from you and don't really enjoy very strong gusts. Like a decent breeze but not violent damaging gusts.

Posted

Keeping my hopes up! Just wish the peaks wouldn't shelter us so much here! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Keeping my hopes up! Just wish the peaks wouldn't shelter us so much here! 

South Westerlies so will hit us. South easterly we won't even notice. So soon as the winds swing it will get interesting.

Posted

Don'tcha mean  a 7mph gust? That's about the best I got out of the last farce.