Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

After seeing the risk for Scotland earlier today/ yesterday, I'm surprised to see a shift southward a today! Metoffice have my location for 50+mph gusts, for an inland location, pretty high.Looks like this is going to be a rough ride for N England especially.Merry Christmas by the way!

I'm not even sure the 18z GFS is far enough S yet. Probably another 20-30 miles shift S to bring it in line with the 18z NAE, UKMO, ECM and EURO4 runs from earlier.

• Like 1

Posted

On current guidance, wind damage potential in all exposed locations of Ireland and the southern and central UK (including NI and southwest Scotland). Probably at its maximum across south and central Ireland, Wales, north-central England. Maximum gusts to 105 mph cannot be ruled out as this is a very dynamic and fast-moving low perfectly aligned to a very strong jet. It should in theory be every bit as bad as say 12-26-1998 locally.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Wonder if the storm will be as bad as the one in January 2007, the wind reached 75 mph here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6272193.stm

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGCC/2007/1/18/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Boxing day 1998! 15 year anniversary! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

didn't see that coming!!

On current guidance, wind damage potential in all exposed locations of Ireland and the southern and central UK (including NI and southwest Scotland). Probably at its maximum across south and central Ireland, Wales, north-central England. Maximum gusts to 105 mph cannot be ruled out as this is a very dynamic and fast-moving low perfectly aligned to a very strong jet. It should in theory be every bit as bad as say 12-26-1998 locally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I remember that day! On a bus coming back from uni with trees virtually bent horizontal all around me. Strongest winds since 27th Oct 2002 here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Just found this on twitter

That's the storm motion and does not reflect wind speed. Posted Image

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Bin it. Too far south, not going to happen.

It shouldn't be ignored though, who's to say it won't end up more south than projected?

Posted

It shouldn't be ignored though, who's to say it won't end up more south than projected?

I think he thought the chart was displaying wind gusts, which it isn't. Here they are >Posted Image

Strongest winds further north and west

• Like 1

Posted

I think he thought the chart was displaying wind gusts, which it isn't. Here they are >Posted Image

Strongest winds further north and west

Still pretty scary-I'm hoping the good ol Clwydians and Snowdonia will shelter my location a bit

Posted

Boxing day 1998! 15 year anniversary! Posted Image

I will never in my life forget the night 105mph recorded at predtwick no roof tiles fences or trees seen lol that storm was one thing that spurred me in my weather obsession
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Have to expect plenty more tree's to topple, certainly in my area there has been no respite in rainfall. The ground all over Britain must be absolutely saturated, probably wouldn't need 80mph gusts to fell a few more. Not to mention the flood situation.....

Edited by stubbys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

Storm will hit Ireland in the evening and the rest of the UK on Friday

post-10471-0-25367000-1388025217_thumb.j

post-10471-0-42295300-1388025348_thumb.j

post-10471-0-42367700-1388025354_thumb.j

post-10471-0-36049000-1388025360_thumb.j

post-10471-0-57347400-1388025367_thumb.j

post-10471-0-00593700-1388025375_thumb.j

post-10471-0-93875700-1388025380_thumb.j

post-10471-0-54108500-1388025387_thumb.j

post-10471-0-03481400-1388025394_thumb.j

post-10471-0-10558900-1388025401_thumb.j

post-10471-0-43304200-1388025408_thumb.j

post-10471-0-15943700-1388025415_thumb.j

Edited by Luton Weather
  • Like 1

Posted

Have to expect plenty more tree's to topple, certainly in my area there has been no respite in rainfall. The ground all over Britain must be absolutely saturated, probably wouldn't need 80mph gusts to fell a few more. Not to mention the flood situation.....

You will get another belt of rain I'm afraid but winds shouldn't be that bad.

post-12275-0-70106100-1388030284_thumb.j

post-12275-0-46990300-1388030297_thumb.j

post-12275-0-41855700-1388030307_thumb.j

post-12275-0-01615800-1388030317_thumb.j

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

GFS moves it back south again so Sheffield back in the firing line. Wrong direction for the first batch of winds again but the second batch should effect us. Gusting to mid sixties so it should be interesting. Again everything can change by tonight.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

GFS moves it back south again so Sheffield back in the firing line. Wrong direction for the first batch of winds again but the second batch should effect us. Gusting to mid sixties so it should be interesting. Again everything can change by tonight.

Yes the chart shows an incredible tightness on the isobars across Southern Scotland, Nothern England and North Midlands.It could be quite nasty overnight and tomorrow.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posted

12+ hours of winds gusting 70-80mph in the worst affected areas (Ireland, SW Scotland, Wales, N England) 60-70mph inland. Wouldn't be surprised to see some amber warnings being issued later today. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

12+ hours of winds gusting 70-80mph in the worst affected areas (Ireland, SW Scotland, Wales, N England) 60-70mph inland. Wouldn't be surprised to see some amber warnings being issued later today. 

There are no warnings for my area nevermind Amber.

Posted

There are no warnings for my area nevermind Amber.

Currently yellow wind warnings for parts of the UK which were issued yesterday, expect these to be amended some time today to perhaps include some amber level warnings. The matrix was one step down from amber. 

post-9615-0-87005300-1388054362.jpeg

Edited by Liam J