Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

The incoming tide is back up to the pebble ridge at Westwood Ho!

I recorded a lot of video this afternoon. JCB Diggers attempting to do repair work to the sea defences

I'll link to the playlist: Lots of rough ocean shots (up close)

Right click in the video - copy video URL - paste into browser, and you'll see the playlist

Edited by stevofunnelcl
  • Like 1

Posted

Quietest storm of them all here. Then it wasn't forecast to be windy. However anybody half listening to the news this morning would be expecting Armageddon everywhere rather than the west parts of the south coast.

I've noticed a warning for Snow out for parts of Yorkshire tomorrow.

Yes slightly overhyped maybe..there are more than normal sub 950mb lows this winter that's something I noticed...a very speedier jet to normal.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/bracka.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ahh fair enough. Seriously organised stuff though and looks very intense for January.

Very violent squall went through here (Chichester Harbour) around 3 / 3.30. Gusts around 70mph. Hail, thunder, and series of strange bulbous shapes the like of which I've never seen before hanging off the bottom and end of the dark squall cloud. Wondering whether they were potential whirlwinds - we've had a few here in the past. Possible (new to this!)?

Posted

On top of the great orme looking out to sea, car is rocking from side to side, quite a few water spouts trying to form..amazing.. High tide llandudno due in next hour

Cool...which hotel are you in mate?

• Like 1

Posted

bit stupid to be filming and driving at the same time....

Was using my go pro cam with head strap
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Very violent squall went through here (Chichester Harbour) around 3 / 3.30. Gusts around 70mph. Hail, thunder, and series of strange bulbous shapes the like of which I've never seen before hanging off the bottom and end of the dark squall cloud. Wondering whether they were potential whirlwinds - we've had a few here in the past. Possible (new to this!)?

Probably Mammatus cloud, indicating some severe possibly tornadic storms....

Posted

Cool...which hotel are you in mate?

Stopping at the imperial, west shore was pretty exciting at high tide this morning, looking forward to midnights high tide too, luckily llandudno not to badly hit.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Was using my go pro cam with head strap

Good way of doing. Sometime I'm going to put a camera system in my car for idiot drivers and cyclists. When I do I should get some good weather shots as well.

Wind maybe picking up here a little but not much.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Gone crazy here, just had a power cut for several minutes and 3 flashes of lightning with thunder, last one was forked lightning. Car and house alarms going off. Torrential rain and hail too. And as I type another big flash!

Lightning struck a pylon I imagine.

Posted

Good way of doing. Sometime I'm going to put a camera system in my car for idiot drivers and cyclists. When I do I should get some good weather shots as well.Wind maybe picking up here a little but not much.

Yeah they brilliant bit of kit.. I use mine mainly for jetski..

A lot of damage on the seafront in Aberystwyth, sea defenses destroyed in places

Posted ImagePosted Image

Many of the seafront buildings have been flooded. Another high tide expected this evening so more damage likely.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 2

Posted

A lot of damage on the seafront in Aberystwyth, sea defenses destroyed in places

Posted ImagePosted Image

Many of the seafront buildings have been flooded. Another high tide expected this evening so more damage likely.

not good

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Clearly our entire coastline's defenses need a good looking into after this winter... We have been far too complacent with old defenses.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Clearly our entire coastline's defenses need a good looking into after this winter... We have been far too complacent with old defenses.

With cost cutting the money won't be available so they'll just have to patched up with two fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Today its been one of them  funny days where the storm force winds is only couple miles down the road and way calmer here. Strange.

Posted

Some pics and video from my Irish sea crossing this morning.

Using that ferry quite alot I looked at the first picture and thought oh that's not too bad, then I see the picture of the wave crashing up the side and think hmm yea that's why when we go to Ireland in the winter we fly!!

Posted

looks choppy Posted Image  great pics / links

Edited by Maxum