Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I wonder how many drove under the tree. Surprised the cables held it up to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

We've been very fortunate at Watford - the worst we had was the fish pond overflowing during the early hours of Christmas Day but by the morning it was back to its normal level, mainly due to us incorporating an overflow system.

Flooding should not really be a risk to us because of our local topography.

The rainfall last night appears to have been less than the previous storm, so we were ok with this one as well.

Obviously not good at all for those who have been flooded out, sustained storm damage, power cuts and the relatives of those who have lost their lives.

The other thing I was afraid of was the safety of ships at sea but a quick look for possible ships in distress was a Russian vessel trapped in the Antarctic ice and arrangements are at hand to release this with a Chinese ice breaker. No doubt many stayed in port, or found the best place to ride the storms out, though I did notice that the Isle of Wight Ferry was still running for at last part of the time.

I did hear that a number of flights got diverted fro Heathrow and Gatwick on Christmas Eve, many did not attempt a take off but I understand there were one or two exceptions.

So all in all an interesting couple of days or so - I don't think I can recall anything quite like that before - a single storm like October 1987, yes but not where they keep following one another quite to this extent - it's all down to those nasty jet streams - I'm going to tell Santa so they don't get a present next Christmas :)

Perhaps after this little lot a change will be on the way.

• Like 2

Posted

I wonder how many drove under the tree. Surprised the cables held it up to be honest.

I know of one person who did. Road is closed now until its cleared.

Posted

Well one period I can think of that was similar and even more prolonged was Jan,Feb,Mar 2002 Cranked up towards the 2nd half of Jan and carried on.

Posted

Somebody posted that I nailed this storm, and this person says: 

Yeah and he called for widespread 105mp/h gusts across NI in that storm two weeks ago. If you look through his posts I'm sure you'll find it

See how fast I'm improving then.

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 3

Posted

I do hope you've also nailed the January cold spell too RJS!

Posted

The winds are struggling to make an impact across Pennine areas, max gust of 51 mph here.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

If today was what the weather people called a storm, I'd hate to experience one of their calm days; all molecular motion would stop and we'd disappear into a void of some type.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, December 27, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Osbourne One-Nil, December 27, 2013 - No reason given

So its okay to praise you but we should sweep it under the carpet and ignore when you're wrong? I only quoted your forecast if you have a problem take it up with yourself. You fairly lap it when its praise and go on the defensive when you're wrong and someone points it out

Edited by Beaufort12
Posted

Back on subject still gusting to 40mph. However as many have pointed out it never really got going.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
Because the quoted post has been removed.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today was the 6th gale day here this month ( mean wind speed 39 mph or more for at least 10 minutes) which is the most for any month since March 2008 which recorded 7.

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

As with most pedants, you have no sense of humour. These weather forums are free association paradigms where people are entirely free to follow or ignore anyone they choose. This can rankle some people who see a person getting a following that perhaps they think they should have. Go for it, if you're worth following, people will do it. I don't come to anyone's house and force them to read my posts. I don't even hit them in the wallet with a tax bill. Anyway, like a politician once said, "I'm at 30% approval in the polls. That sounds pretty bad, but I'm 29% ahead of Jesus."

So human popularity means nothing anyway.

Theres no point  in getting involved in mud slinging, Roger ,your post are appreciated,Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Missed out again today, max 49.8 mph....... Fish on!

Better that cahsing snowflakes at T360 mind.

• Like 1

Posted

A blustery evening yesterday as winds got back up again but nothing to the levels earlier in the day.

Looking at latest runs no storms are shown but still looks unsettled and blustery at times.

Posted

Well it's ECM V GFS/UKMO as far as stormy weather goes. Both GFS and UKMO go for the quieter outlook while ECM prefers to keep the wheelie bins moving ever so often. Who's right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

deleted (wrong thread)

Edited by EML Network

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Early warnings out for Monday

Issued at: 1027 on Sat 28 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Mon 30 Dec 2013

Valid to: 1000 on Mon 30 Dec 2013

South to southwesterly gales and locally severe gales will develop across west Wales and parts of southwest and southern England during the early hours of Monday, easing from the west later on Monday morning. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to travel, particularly as the gales will be combined by heavy rain (see separate Alert).

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An active frontal system will move eastwards across the UK during Sunday night and Monday. Very strong south to southwesterly winds will develop, with gusts of 60-70 mph possible within the area of the Alert and a low probability of gusts reaching 80 mph at exposed locations in the Isles of Scilly, west Cornwall and west Wales.

Issued at: 1056 on Sat 28 Dec 2013

Valid to: 1000 on Mon 30 Dec 2013

Further rain, heavy at times, is expected to spread quickly eastwards across southwest England and south Wales on Sunday night and into Monday morning. Rainfall totals are expected to be widely 15 to 30 mm, but as much as 40 to 50 mm over south facing coasts and hills. With ground already saturated over much of this region, the public should be aware of the risk of further local flooding. Gales will accompany this rain - see separate Alert for this.

This is an update to the Alert issued on Friday, which has been expanded into south Wales.

Another active Atlantic frontal system is expected to swing eastwards across UK on Sunday night and Monday morning. A combination of strong winds and very moist air will give locally significant rainfall accumulations over south facing coasts and upslopes. The wind and rain should clear eastwards later Monday morning.

Issued at: 1042 on Sat 28 Dec 2013

Valid to: 1200 on Mon 30 Dec 2013

Further rain is expected later on Sunday, becoming heavy overnight and on Monday morning. Rainfall accumulations of 20 to 30 mm are expected, with as much as 50-60 mm over high ground. The rain will fall on already saturated ground, so the public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding.

An active frontal system will move eastwards across Scotland during Sunday night and Monday morning, bringing a spell of heavy rain to southwestern and central areas. The largest rainfall totals will be over upland areas exposed to the strong south to southwesterly winds.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1388361600&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted Image

Euro 4 ^^^ upper winds streamlines at 300hpa

-

NAE below.

Potent Jet for Sunday nights storm, 100knt+

Posted Image

So a very active night for the Sunday into Monday coming.

The winds likely (have confidence in this to happen) to upgrade for east side of southern UK 60-70mph inland from s-coast

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1