Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Pressure suddenly dropped to 991hpa since my last post!

System down to 944mb

Yep, not only that but neither the ECM or UKMO forecasted it to go below 950mb. GFS Hi Res makes it the lowest at 943mb.

I guess in the next couple of hours we will see if it will turn out stronger than the models predicted.

Edit: Down to 942mb now.

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

On Christmas eve Stornoway reported a barometric pressure of 936.4mb at 12:30 pm the lowest recorded anywhere in the UK since December 1886.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Yep, not only that but neither the ECM or UKMO forecasted it to go below 950mb. GFS Hi Res makes it the lowest at 943mb.

I guess in the next couple of hours we will see if it will turn out stronger than the models predicted.

Edit: Down to 942mb now.

Already 7mb down on the shipping forecast 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_printable.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Where can I find the pressure for this beast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

8mb pressure drop in 3 hours...could we be seeing the deepest landfall storm here?! 

Posted

Very windy here too in Caernarfon. Im getting quite worried! If its like this now, its going to be a wild wild night!

A bit of now casting from one of the areas anticipated to bear the brunt of the winds tonight and into tomorrow, North West Wales.  I live on the foot hills of Snowdonia. The village is on a West South West facing hill overlooking the Irish sea so I'm expecting some hefty gusts for sure.Right now, winds are increasing and gusts are on the rise. Gusts are beginning to howl at the windows and doors rattling during gusts, however, no rain yet. Cant give any wind speeds sorry. Only what I hear, see and feel. BBC saying 80mph expected here with disruption to power. I don't mind a good storms as long as damage is minimal. A lot of Christmas food in that freezer so hoping we don't get a lengthy power cut.Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Winds starting to pick up here now, some gusts going through, all came about very quickly, from almost nothing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

8mb pressure drop in 3 hours...could we be seeing the deepest landfall storm here?! 

I guess the 934mb at Stornoway recently is lowest, but for mainland UK, I think you could be right, or at least it will be close to the record.

Posted

Have observed some very strong pressure falls at K4 buoy in Donegal Bay, 17.4 mb in 3 hrs at one point earlier today is (as JH would confirm) about as large as you're ever going to see outside of a strong hurricane. Looks to me as though system could reach 940 mb or possibly 938 somewhere north of Malin Head late tonight then track through Scotland gradually filling slightly into mid-940s. Ireland already fully engaged and people generally informed about the details, most regions will see their strongest winds late tonight and early tomorrow with gusts to 150 km/hr not out of the question. I feel that similar conditions will easily reach north Wales and exposed parts of northwest England, southwest Scotland. As for Northern Ireland, it could be a little less extreme in the north as the storm's "eye" or inner circulation won't be as extreme but a tight gradient will exist between 70 km/hr and 120 km/hr gusts across the far north.

If you're in an exposed area of the UK reading this, would consider moving to a safer location now while winds are not as extreme. There could be some severe damage and the Lancs coast could have some massive waves and surges especially around time of normal high tide. The strongest winds will be from the WSW -- if you're high up or near sea level and exposed to that direction, take emergency action now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I guess the 934mb at Stornoway recently is lowest, but for mainland UK, I think you could be right, or at least it will be close to the record.

Penrith, Cumbria: 933.4mbWhitehaven, Cumbria: 993.5mb:)

Posted

Very windy here too in Caernarfon. Im getting quite worried! If its like this now, its going to be a wild wild night! 

Indeed! Winds are getting stronger by the hour. Worst isn't until late night/early morning and into the afternoon tomorrow. Stay safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Lots of tree down, flooding and power outages spreading across Ireland now. Lights flickering here. Damage to the roof of Cork University Hospital

https://mobile.twitter.com/GardaTraffic

Posted

Can confirm the same here in Deiniolen - light flickering and the wind is strong. On days like this I wish I had my weather station!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The wind is funnelling up from the *south* of the estuary here, Ive never seen this before, it usually funnels from the northwest.. quite squally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Strange this is.... Reports of strong winds in North Wales and here in Solihull the WestMidlands, Not even a leaf moving on a branch!

So this is what they call, The calm before the STORM Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wow, left to get some petrol earlier, not a breathe of wind, 20 minutes later on return, some noticeable gusts getting up! Pretty rapid change.

Posted

The other side of that rainband is the 60-70mph winds, pretty much the same here as everyone else is saying...complete stillness outside compared to what's to come by the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO shows the year ending on a windy note with another deep low heading our way (although not as deep as we've had lately)

Posted Image

The wind is starting to get stronger here in Darlo now the storm is moving in