Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted

Irish weather alerts

National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Update
Becoming very stormy this evening with gale force southeast winds veering southwest early tonight and further veering westerly tomorrow. Severe and damaging gusts of 120 to 140km/hr expected and 150km/hr gusts in exposed coastal areas. 
Very high seas also with significant danger of coastal flooding also. 
Winds moderating Friday afternoon and evening.

Issued:
Thursday 26 December 2013 10:00
Valid:
Thursday 26 December 2013 16:00 to Friday 27 December 2013 15:00

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Rest of the country

Update
Becoming very stormy this evening with gale force southeast winds veering southwest early tonight and further veering westerly by tomorrow morning. Severe and damaging gusts of 110 or 130 km/hr expected. Very high seas also with a risk of coastal flooding in the northwest.
Winds moderating Friday afternoon and evening but gales continuing in the north until early Friday night.

Issued:
Thursday 26 December 2013 10:00
Valid:

Thursday 26 December 2013 16:00 to Friday 27 December 2013 15:00

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Wind really increasing now in W-SW Ireland

Posted Image

To me this system seems to be in a bit of a hurry with the rain now just about reaching North Wales.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

At least the bins wont be out for xmas collections tomorrow.....st judes storm they were all over the roads....

Like a bet. I suspect there's some collections going on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Posted

I suspect the main road into Leeds will be closed tomorrow.

Not sure how accurate the headline is but the street in Leeds is meant to the windiest street in Britain due to a skyscraper sitting at the bottom of the valley.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518770/Major-route-closed-high-winds-years-man-killed-lorry-flew-air.html

Its already caused one death due to a lorry blowing into a person. Would be interesting if they monitored wind speeds outside the building. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Personally, I can't see the appeal of severe gales. See trees bowing in the wind doesn't do it for me.

Well, I'm not going to appologise for liking certain types of weather. I don't suppose I am the only one around who likes to see nature at her fiercest. I like severe thunder storms as well.
  • Like 2

Posted

Gales are more than just trees blowing in the wind - try going outside during sustain speeds of 40-50mph with gusts exceeding 70mph and see what happens - you'll probably end up struggling to stand. You might also see trees falling and people's patio tables flying several gardens over. It's all very exciting

I have and I didn't find it exciting. I was caught out in the January 2007 gale outside. I struggled trying to stand in a gust. They ripped my glasses off my face and smashed them into the street. I was virtually blind trying to find them, some people helped me find them but they were ruined. Not an enjoyable experience. Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted

Well, I'm not going to appologise for liking certain types of weather. I don't suppose I am the only one around who likes to see nature at her fiercest.I like severe thunder storms as well.

Why should you. If it's mild let it be wild I say,

Posted

I mean look at how ridiculously strong the wind was outside the building on the 5th of December 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--tTc8s7XD4

There was a report on Look North after the inquest ruled the street must be closed when winds are forecast over 40mph (?).. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rp2BzKUaP4

There have been many serious injuries from it including 'a woman blown into the carriageway suffered serious injuries', a 'policeman blown of his cycle'

Posted

Another imposter.  Aye, most on here can't see the appeal of any weather phenomena other than snow. Not the ideal user base for a weather forum. 

Eh? So you have to like all weather, including storms that may damage your property in order to be part of the "ideal user base for a weather forum". (And how does not liking strong winds amount to not liking anything but snow?) At best nonsense; at worst disrespectful.

• Like 4

Posted

Chill pills being needed me thinks. Sips his wine and watches the footie. People do seem a bit twitchy these days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Come on folks! We are all here because we love all things weather but not all of us like the same weather type. I'm afraid we'll have to accept that fact and move on.  

• Like 4

Posted

The weather will do what it wants to do. Its fine if you enjoy it, its fine if you don't, there's no need to criticise others for liking it, you act like by wishing for certain conditions there more likely to happen.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

At least the bins wont be out for xmas collections tomorrow.....st judes storm they were all over the roads....

Oh yes they will, ours are due out! Only we don't have bins, the road's too narrow so it's just the bags. However they get blown all over the place in a gale.

I'm like you, Keraunophile, I too enjoy wild weather, my other half is well used to me running to look out the window. However of course I don't want to see people harmed or properties damaged. I suppose it's rather like watching Formula One - you can enjoy watching cars travel round the track at potentially dangerous speeds, but you don't want to see them killed. Ditto for any extreme sports or activities.

Anyway I ventured into this thread to see what the current thoughts are about this storm's track. I'm in Malvern not sure how hard it'll hit. Very calm out there at the moment, no sign of trouble brewing.

• Like 1

Posted

Good vid here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I have and I didn't find it exciting. I was caught out in the January 2007 gale outside. I struggled trying to stand in a gust. They ripped my glasses off my face and smashed them into the street. I was virtually blind trying to find them, some people helped me find them but they were ruined. Not an enjoyable experience.

Sorry Kev but I had to giggle. The thought of someone's glasses being ripped off by wind is like something out of a comedy sketch (even though it probably didn't feel like that to you at the time).

Posted

From looking at the radar, it doesn't look as though it is going to be raining for very long anywhere.

Posted

A bit of now casting from one of the areas anticipated to bear the brunt of the winds tonight and into tomorrow, North West Wales.  I live on the foot hills of Snowdonia. The village is on a West South West facing hill overlooking the Irish sea so I'm expecting some hefty gusts for sure.Right now, winds are increasing and gusts are on the rise. Gusts are beginning to howl at the windows and doors rattling during gusts, however, no rain yet. Cant give any wind speeds sorry. Only what I hear, see and feel. BBC saying 80mph expected here with disruption to power. I don't mind a good storms as long as damage is minimal. A lot of Christmas food in that freezer so hoping we don't get a lengthy power cut.Merry Christmas everyone.  

• Like 1

Posted

A bit of now casting from one of the areas anticipated to bear the brunt of the winds tonight and into tomorrow, North West Wales.  I live on the foot hills of Snowdonia. The village is on a West South West facing hill overlooking the Irish sea so I'm expecting some hefty gusts for sure.Right now, winds are increasing and gusts are on the rise. Gusts are beginning to howl at the windows and doors rattling during gusts, however, no rain yet. Cant give any wind speeds sorry. Only what I hear, see and feel. BBC saying 80mph expected here with disruption to power. I don't mind a good storms as long as damage is minimal. A lot of Christmas food in that freezer so hoping we don't get a lengthy power cut.Merry Christmas everyone.  

Light rain starting now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Wind picking up here, pressure also dropped from 995hpa to 993hpa. Looking forward to trying out my 'storm' umbrella tomorrow it is supposed to withstand winds of up to 70mph! we shall see