Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Is it me or is tonight's storm much worse than we expected it to be ? I saw this earlier on met monkey...

Posted Imageimage.jpg

...I didn't take much notice as I thought it would just be Ireland and Northern England that bore the brunt - maybe it's because the bins are out and blowing down the road or maybe it's because I watched Wizard of Oz earlier and had been dreaming I was Dorothy but it's unusual for me to get woken by wind !

There is no doubt that some of the gusts seem to be getting close to the ones from the other night, but as you ay, things are definitely going to get worse, with a squall line forming out West and heading in at a rate!

post-2587-0-10281000-1388110431_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

My gawd!! A massive gust just then that shook the house! This is surely going to cause a lot of damage... Stay safe all!!

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks Yamkin....could this intense energy have been predicted/factored in? Or has this been overlooked on the forecasts? If gusts reach/exceed 70mph in the SE in the next few hours, people are going to wake to damage and questions (I'm sure) will be asked?

Well, I actually delve quite deeply into the energy level forecasts and I am amazed the MetO are not aware of the influence this energy has on such storms. They have yet again under estimated the wind gusts in some areas. I updated the Croydon Council's emergency division an hour ago with the revised wind gust speed of 70 mph +/-.

• Like 2

Posted

Intense energy is pounding Earth? Do you mean solar energy, and if so, how would it be affecting this low pressure system?

There are different forms of energy. If I may, in layman terms, if I were to add loads of petrol on a very big bonfire, the intensity of the burning fire - energy being fueled would be far greater.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well, I actually delve quite deeply into the energy level forecasts and I am amazed the MetO are not aware of the influence this energy has on such storms. They have yet again under estimated the wind gusts in some areas. I updated the Croydon Council's emergency division an hour ago with the revised wind gust speed of 70 mph +/-.

What for croydon?, I am starting to expect that speed of gust here, but croydon is inland.

Posted

Some the the gusts tonight certainly sound on a par with Xmas Eve, the only plus so far is that there appears to be a lot less rain associated with this low.

There are some heavy showers heading to us right now, which is only going to pile more misery on those who are flooded or at risk, lets hope they just pass through quickly.

Unfortunately there is a big squall line currently developing in a line from Weymouth to Gloucester and building fast.

Posted

Watching and hearing my fence commit suicide, thought Friday was gonna be when winds were at their worse??

• Like 1

Posted

What for croydon?, I am starting to expect that speed of gust here, but croydon is inland.

I should have stated 50 - 70 mph +/-

Posted

There are different forms of energy. If I may, in layman terms, if I were to add loads of petrol on a very big bonfire, the intensity of the burning fire - energy being fueled would be far greater.

I get you now... Very slow at the moment, had a boozy day with my Mum and have kept going since! Posted Image

Posted

Watching and hearing my fence commit suicide, thought Friday was gonna be when winds were at their worse??

What time Friday are you referring to Posted Image  Peak wind gusts will strike the SE from 03:00 - 07:00 hrs

By the way, a great win for Palace Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

What time Friday are you referring to Posted Image  Peak wind gusts will strike the SE from 03:00 - 07:00 hrs

By the way, a great win for Palace Posted Image

Yep Yammers, wasnt pretty but out of relegation spots for a short while :)  03.00-0700 hrs ??  yikes better get out there n do something....

Posted

A236 Croydon Rd is blocked between Mitcham Road & Beddington Lane due to a fallen tree

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yep Yammers, wasnt pretty but out of relegation spots for a short while Posted Image  03.00-0700 hrs ??  yikes better get out there n do something....

Got to admit didn't prepper for this one, so might lose my garden furniture as I am not going out there now. It's to dark, I'll fall on my steps, plus the wind really seems to be howling.

• Like 2

Posted

Got to admit didn't prepper for this one, so might lose my garden furniture as I am not going out there now. It's to dark, I'll fall on my steps, plus the wind really seems to be howling.

Yes best leave it, furniture can be replaced, you cant alexis :)

• Like 2

Posted

The 00z GFS seems to be showing an increase in wind velocity for us in the SE up to 6am so, despite a slight lull in the winds right now, we are still yet to see the peak of the winds, plus the squall line is now lying in a line between Poole and Oxford, so that should bring some big gusts.

Yet again, take care all, going to get some kip meself. good luck with any garden furniture/trampolines etc. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Quite lively outside and has been for the last couple of hours with some mighty gusts.

Temperature 8.7°C
Humidity 97%
Dewpoint 8.2°C
Wind SSW
Barometer 980.8 hPa & Falling Rapidly

Temperature graph : http://www.metdesk.com/cheshamdata/OutsideTempHistory.gif

Barometer graph     : http://www.metdesk.com/cheshamdata/BarometerHistory.gif

The graphs say it all Posted Image

Edited by ChillyJuju
  • Like 2

Posted

Radar and 'out the window' confirm that the squall line is now passing through our region...could get noisy!

• Like 1

Posted

Marooning all, hope everyone survived last night and no one else has been affected by the flooding. Heard a few hearty gusts last night and the trees are still being blown about today with the wind occassional whistling down the chimney. Garden looking sorry for itself but everything is still where it meant to be.

Nice day yesterday and enjoyed the football, in fact enjoyed getting out the house, certainly was cold, but that could have been me and my flu. Pleased to say for the first time this tour its a pleasure to go on a cricket website and see the score, to little, to late but it might stop the Aussies crowing.

Have a great day everyone, if you are affected by the recent weather then I'm sorry for you, and hope all your problems are resolved ASAP, I know they are only words, but that all I can offer.

Posted

morning  rather a wild  night again !!

well its looks like there 2  more storms  in the pipe line at the  moment  one  monday, wednesday,

post-4629-0-50189500-1388131644_thumb.pn

post-4629-0-03982500-1388131670_thumb.pn

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Still windy here - very impressed with the bin men who've rounded up all the rubbish sacks which during the night had blown all over the place, they have also picked up most of the stuff that has escaped and was blowing around, all I can see is a couple of bits they missed ......unless of course someone at the end of the road has acquired it all !!!

Is that it until Monday now ? These storms are getting a bit boreing now ....when is it going to snow ?

• Like 3

Posted

looks  like  things could get a bit wild again Tuesday/Wednesday i think there a channel low  in the  mix as well  965  in the  north sea  by wednesday!!!!

post-4629-0-26476300-1388133420_thumb.pn

post-4629-0-54202500-1388133430_thumb.pn

Edited by tinybill