Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning - well we made it through with no damage - dogs refused to go out so been cross legged all night! Biggest gusts here were just around 1.30, plenty of rain but now its a much improved picture! Even the dogs have braved it and been out!

Happy Xmas all

• Like 1

Posted

We've got 3 fences down in Tilgate (Crawley) and also got a call about 7.30 this morning to help my in-laws out as the river mole has burst it's banks and they haven't got any power! They live next door to the Gables Nursery in ifield which is inundated with Police adn Fire crews in helping the pensioners out. I had to scale the In-laws wall (as the gates are electronic) and help the Father in law to try and cran the gate by hand to allow the water to flow better and not break the gates, but there was too much debris up against them, so I propped open the side gate with my ladder so at least they can get out!

The really bad news is that if still no power tomorrow, no xmas dinner round there Posted Image  All the food is in the garage which, you've guessed it has electric doors! And no way to open them manually! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Lost two fence panels and a roof ridge tile.  Sons goal also blew over the fence.

Trying to get hold of a roofer to fix the tile isnt easy and the ones I have spoken to have said go through insurance company as it will be cheaper - 'supply and demand' he said.  Happy Christmas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Morning all, our flood didn't make it inside thank god! Can only assume rain must've got lighter, giving time for some of it to drain away quicker. Towels on doorstep were wet so it was v v close - think we've been v lucky!!

Hope you're all well xx

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

We were very lucky. All the damage we sustained was the new tab-end jam jar rolling over the garden and it completed the journey unscathed. :D

There are a few door canopy Xmas trees lying on their sides down the street but that's all I've seen so far.

Bet the insurance companies will be busy after Xmas. What a night!!

Re' Radar app. I've uninstalled and then downloaded again and it's working fine again. I tracked a flight approaching Ipswich and then actually heard it flying over. Awesome! It's a fabulous app. :D

• Like 3

Posted

Going by what the BBC were saying this morning, Friday's show will probably be worse up North; but who knows as apparently it could change, move about, at any time. (They did call it something but I've forgotten what)

It's so dull and gloomy in Ippy at the moment. I'd like a bit of sunshine/frost/sparkle just to cheer everyone up.

• Like 2

Posted

Been out this morning and the worst damage here is just one tree down luckily and a few branches. The duck pond is at it's highest and due to overflow onto the footpath should anymore rain arrive.

Just got a bit of cleaning to do and then I'm all ready for Christmas. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Well all I can say is phew! Made it through the night with no obvious damage, got quite scary around 1.30 lots of rumbling noises on the house and heard a tapping sound coming from my brother's room it appears we have a small leak more likely to have been caused by the excess rain totals, heard lots of banging probably the sound of fences going over further down the road, top gusts probably around 65-70mph we still have power thank god. As for this morning still breezy but a lot calmer. All in all my assessment of last night was that it was a typical winter storm but 1 which we here in SE get less often then other parts of the country, that was probably our biggest since March 2004 maybe even October 02 although the latter was significantly worse! Us southern softies just arnt used to dealing with anything other then banine weather it seems lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. Posted Image

I was unscathed and on initial inspections couldn't see any damage at all... - there's no way the peak gusts here were as strong as in late October, but the duration of strong winds was quite impressive. I can't recall anything quite like it...

However, in my village I came across this.

post-11059-0-55987400-1387884838_thumb.jpost-11059-0-82395600-1387884883_thumb.j

Such a shame, as it was a fine tree. :(

I guess the fact it was in leaf and the ground is saturated can't have helped its cause.

• Like 4

Posted

Mornin each. All seems ok here and all fence panels still standing. I'm now developing the lurgy. Nice on Xmas Eve.

Morning, after Southernman has let my nurse in i'll ask him to go and see if there's any damage.What a wild night.I kind of dozed through it, waking every so often, it was still very breezy at 6am.

And how is your caterpillar?

ooh that sounds rude.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just checked out the garden two fence panels down, and some small branches from the trees lying about. Now just got to see if mum can get a train down here from London. A planed trip that I tried to get her to make early.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The peak of the storm was about 2am and boy was it powerful, much worse than that so called " MEGA storm ". Lots of fences damaged, sheds over turned and trees down! The intensity was something else!!!

Posted

radar  picking  a  line  of showers  heading to the  Kent  area  and there a  lot  of red and its  building so be keep an eye out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just had an intense shower..Wind was comparable to last night gusts were mega!Then it started to snow for 1-2 minutes wow!

Bet those showers won't drop no snow over here lol, doesn't seem cold enough.

Posted

The warnings for Friday has been updated

Yellow warning for strong winds

Issued at: 1111 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Valid to: 2100 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Widespread gales are expected with gusts of over 60 mph, especially over coastal areas and high ground. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption, especially where the high winds are combined with heavy rainfall. Please watch for updates to this warning over the coming days, especially those who have travel plans.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another deep area of low pressure is expected to develop over the Atlantic Ocean mid-week, bringing another spell of wet and windy weather across the UK as it tracks northeastwards past northwestern Britain later on Thursday and during Friday. Wind is expected to increase across the area after dark on Thursday with peak winds thought most likely to occur during Friday daytime. Relative to recent storms that have affected the UK, Friday's depression is looking less intense and the extent of associated impacts are currently thought to be less widespread and less severe. However, at this stage there remain some uncertainties concerning the track and depth of this storm and this warning will be re-assessed and updated over the coming days.

Yellow warning for rain

Issued at: 1114 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Valid to: 1800 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Spells of rain affecting the UK late Thursday and Friday are expected to be heavy at times with 10 to 20 mm expected to fall quite widely. Locally in excess of 30 mm is likely over parts of Wales, Northern Ireland and southern England whilst more than 40 mm are expected locally over Scotland and northern England. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption, especially where ground is already saturated and where high winds are combined with heavy rainfall. Please watch for updates to this warning over the coming days, especially those who have travel plans.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another deep area of low pressure is expected to develop over the Atlantic Ocean mid-week, bringing another spell of wet and windy weather across the UK as it tracks northeastwards past northwestern Britain later on Thursday and during Friday. Snowmelt over higher ground in Scotland will increase the contribution to river catchments here. Relative to recent storms that have affected the UK, Friday's depression is looking less intense and the extent of associated impacts are currently thought to be less widespread and less severe. However, at this stage there remain some uncertainties concerning the track and depth of this storm and this warning will be re-assessed and updated over the coming days.

http://www.metoffice...0&regionName=uk

Posted

Morning, after Southernman has let my nurse in i'll ask him to go and see if there's any damage.What a wild night.I kind of dozed through it, waking every so often, it was still very breezy at 6am.

And how is your caterpillar?

ooh that sounds rude.Posted Image

Ha ha! He's fine, thank you. My 2 y o neice keeps asking to see him so he gets checked up on often. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Off to Snettisham for Christmas in half an hour and not back till Saturday.

Not sure of internet access there, so if I can't make any further contact, MERRY CHRISTMAS, ONE AND ALL. Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Off to Snettisham for Christmas in half an hour and not back till Saturday.

Not sure of internet access there, so if I can't make any further contact, MERRY CHRISTMAS, ONE AND ALL. Posted Image

LOL the Joys of the wilds of Norfolk!

• Like 2