Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

this weeks storms can blow away all they want as long as January and February onwards are like this

post-18233-0-60147600-1387927635_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

initial 11 o'clock chart and winds swinging more westerly so watch for better gusts through the central belt over the next hour or so as it should line right up soon

Posted Imageeur_n_large.gif

Thanks, really getting wild now. Some pretty nasty gusts now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Yaaay Ireland you too!

BUS see when you do finally go to bed, you're not gonny wake until hogmany- you must  be  Posted Image by noo.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 5

Posted

Yaaay Ireland you too!

BUS see when you do finally go to bed, you're not gonny wake until hogmany- you must  be  Posted Image by noo.

yeah pretty tired and no chance of sleeping till then i'll be woke up well early tomorrow i'll just catch up on boxing day lol

• Like 1

Posted

Well i must admit i joined here last night and have had the best time with all you folks....the emotion and work that is in some of the post's is so gratefully received, its been an absolute pleasure sharing this storm with you guys.  There is some amazing information in some posts, and the work that some people put in trying to keep us updated and uploading images etc has made my first experience here memorable.

I think its the energy that flows through this forum with anticipation of what is to come, looking at what nature has to throw in her awesome power and knowing that man will never tame her.  She is an uninvited guest to some and a VIP to other's.

I really cannot believe the passion on here, its really made my week...roll on friday, and i cant wait to be with you guys when it comes! 

Thanks for all the information  guys and your efforts, i really appreciate it. 

Hope everyone is in good spirit and keep the energy flowing!

glad to have you here its always good to have more people that have interests in weather here as it only adds to the great thread this is.

hopefully the winter will throw up a good Greenland or Scandinavian high for you so you can join in the real fun when the temps plummet and the snow starts to pile up.

merry Christmas and hope you have a good one Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Well a merry Xmas to you all! Wind here is really gusting strong as I've seen here and mother in law was saying she has never seen her conservatory roof rattle like it has been.

Pressure dropped to 952mb earlier but is back up to 956mb now. Temp currently 4.6c feels more like -4.6 though,

• Like 1

Posted

Liam Dutton â€@liamdutton 43m

Amazing! Swirl of cloud associated with #ukstorm stretches from the Arctic Circle to N'ern Africa. (via @eumetsat) pic.twitter.com/eXm5hdWy6L

post-18233-0-33947900-1387929228_thumb.j

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Buriedundersnow, December 24, 2013 - it posted twice
Hidden by Buriedundersnow, December 24, 2013 - it posted twice

Amazing! Swirl of cloud associated with #ukstorm stretches from the Arctic Circle to N'ern Africa. (via @eumetsat) pic.twitter.com/eXm5hdWy6L

post-18233-0-33947900-1387929228_thumb.j

you can make out the little lows in the centre

Posted

revised 11 o'clock chart

post-18233-0-87087300-1387929430_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

So, in essence, now the winds are strongest they've been, now we have an Xmas Day storm! (which was never initially talked about)

It's blowin' a hoolie oot! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Winds just as strong here as they were at 7am, so if the storm may have been somewhat lacking in intensity its certainly delivered in terms of longevity.

Time to get some sleep now as i could be wakened pretty early by a very excited little boy.

• Like 3

Posted

its officially here Posted Image Posted Image

merry Christmas everyone hope you have the day you are hoping for and don't get too drunk and hungover theres still plenty of model watching to be done in the coming days.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Have a great Christmas everyone, could well be a technical white one for a few of us (in spite of a distinct lack of any lying snow away from high ground) particularly for the morning and late evening. Glasgow White Christmas odds are at 21/5 apparently which is just about a value bet IMO since they're likely to see a fair amount of precipitation through the day but Bishopton doesn't exactly endear itself to wintriness generally so I'd say 3/1 would be about as low as I'd go as far as value odds are concerned.

Gusts at 11pm were widely over 50mph with sustained winds up to 39mph at Leuchars (about the highest they've been). Blackford Hill had a 75mph gust earlier and I wouldn't be surprised to see it topped now since the winds do appear to be aligned more (un)favourably for most of us than they were when we had the initially predicted worst phase this afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Posted ImageBcSURDRIMAAr-y9.jpg

Spotted quality reply to the tweet you posted.

@liamdutton dude, I love how you trip out over weather patterns and super duper. It gives me hope for the inhabitants of this planet.

His reply gives me hope too Posted Image 

Aye, and just when you thought it was all over... Blawin a hoolie when I'd about given up.

Mean lookin band of prep that coming in. So not going to be snow, but it will at least feel like a proper storm.

• Like 4

Posted

Getting stormier with some strong gusts and occasionally flickering lights - heavy, driving rain too. The Christmas Eve storm thankfully didn't turn out to be too serious for many. I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and fingers crossed for some snow too.

• Like 1

Posted

something interetsting taking shape in the highlands, very steep temprature difference between a very small core (which is cold) and warmer surrounding, up to 5c , could this be a snow bomb in the highlands feeding off the warmer air around? Look at xcweather current temps

Edited by Swave Snow

Posted

initial 12 o'clock chart and we have a feature coming in from the west I'm not sure if this would contain higher winds maybe LS could tell us what he thinks

post-18233-0-30303600-1387930532_thumb.g

I mean the kink out west LS

if that's right the south could get a little lively later aswell

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

initial 12 o'clock chart and we have a feature coming in from the west I'm not sure if this would contain higher winds maybe LS could tell us what he thinks

Posted Imageeur_n_large.gif

I mean the kink out west LS

if that's right the south could get a little lively later aswell

The 'shortwave' west of Ireland? It was sort of picked up by the mesoscale models but at 976mb instead of the 968mb shown:

Posted Image

You're right enough though, it may well act to delay the eventual slackening (for us at least) and tighten the pressure gradient for the next few hours, although I doubt it'll have a huge impact either way. Were it sat over us it would conversely bring a slackening of the flow but with some really intense precipitation associated with it, but of course we have the latter at the moment anyway!

• Like 2

Posted

The 'shortwave' west of Ireland? It was sort of picked up by the mesoscale models but at 976mb instead of the 968mb shown:

Posted Image

You're right enough though, it may well act to delay the eventual slackening (for us at least) and tighten the pressure gradient for the next few hours, although I doubt it'll have a huge impact either way. Were it sat over us it would conversely bring a slackening of the flow but with some really intense precipitation associated with it, but of course we have the latter at the moment anyway!

what about the kinks in the isobars will that contain a front or possible squall line or that which could contain gusts.

complete amateur question as I don't have a clue but that front we had in December 10 was just kinks like that was it not.

Posted

Merry Christmas to all, hope you have a great day, and not too much damage sustained.

Really howling ootside, and the rain is driving hard, dug no impressed. Debris starting to fly around as well. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

update from N/W highlands,  Really good winds building here,  getting very stormy.

• Like 2