IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Wind picking up here also, some very big gusts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Getting very windy here can hear the trees in the park next to my house roaring away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Totally agree apart from the part which states that this thread is 'far more enjoyable'. It's definitely a great thread but nothing can beat the MOD thread with an impending cold spell which may or may not materialise. The dispair of December 2012's beast from the east debacle and then the euphoria of the SSW coming into force by pulverising the PV resulting in the gigantic snow event (IMBY) after the equinox, in late march.

I see your point, certainly I've had some great times on there, with the best one for me being the high stakes drama of December 2009 when we had the 'mildie' collossus of Ian Brown (and his hypothesis of an era so controversial it can't be named on the forum) taking on the plucky coldies and, for the first time in internet history, losing, and then the 'WTF' moment from the same poster after a similar standoff with Steve Murr and GP in January.

This thread is brilliant when it comes down to the nowcasting stage though, during 2009/10 and December 2010 it was the first thing I would read when I got up to check how things were developing on the ground, where the travel disruption was, even stuff like impending school closures tend to get picked up on here pretty early.

We also got to have a good rant at the Beeb for the occasional utterly shambolic forecast, like in December 2009 when a 'dry morning' was forecast on the pre-recorded regional forecast even as the news itself was reporting on 5 inches of snow for central Edinburgh Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just spied this on the beeb site, apologies if already posted earlier and missed it. Stuff being on that plane !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25510819

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Definitely the windiest its been all day here now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

revised 10 o'clock defo looks to have upgraded the gradient from the intial

post-18233-0-22540500-1387925552_thumb.gpost-18233-0-47382400-1387925565_thumb.g

that's my wheelie bins gone as well

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I see your point, certainly I've had some great times on there, with the best one for me being the high stakes drama of December 2009 when we had the 'mildie' collossus of Ian Brown (and his hypothesis of an era so controversial it can't be named on the forum) taking on the plucky coldies and, for the first time in internet history, losing, and then the 'WTF' moment from the same poster after a similar standoff with Steve Murr and GP in January.

This thread is brilliant when it comes down to the nowcasting stage though, during 2009/10 and December 2010 it was the first thing I would read when I got up to check how things were developing on the ground, where the travel disruption was, even stuff like impending school closures tend to get picked up on here pretty early.

We also got to have a good rant at the Beeb for the occasional utterly shambolic forecast, like in December 2009 when a 'dry morning' was forecast on the pre recorded regional forecast even as the news itself was reporting on 5 inches of snow for central Edinburgh [img=http://f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum//public/style_emoticon /default/xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic._r66Q6BebR.png

Exactly, I found a thread on netweather from a google search into said theory [(shakes with fear at the very thought of it ;) ] which was 2008 and it was just so outrageous.

Yes, that comment (the most liked on the forum full stop) was amazing and yet that still failed. It changes so often and the drama and suspense is fantastic and is free to anyone to read and post on.

I love how we know said cold spell is going to at least partially verify way in advance and the general public have no clue there is such an extreme possibility on the (virtual) horizon.

The Steve Muir vs Ian Brown debate is just the highlight of any winter for me but so many others (who regularly contribute on this thread) are very informative and post fantastically reasoned and detailed posts thus helping the overall standard of this forum

• Like 3

Posted

LORENZO or LS look at this animation double click the time slider at the top and move yourself to get a better speed and at the end it looks like theres 3 or 4 little lows trying to spin around

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

is that normal?

Posted

Sub 500 dam air across half the country too... !

post-7292-0-80739900-1387926014_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Why is it so windy now ?????

because the pressure gradient is tightening just now (moving closer together)

• Like 1

Posted

This link is useful BUS for the KNMI Satellite reports, hover over the icons for a brief description of each item picked up on satellite.

http://www.knmi.nl/satrep/latest.htm

The latest obs. is an absolute rammy ! LOL!

post-7292-0-81627100-1387926484_thumb.pn

On the way into the main low there is Jet Fibre, Cb Cells, Cb Clusters and also what looks like comma cloud on the yr.no image, these all getting wrapped into the core of the low. So one centre with lots going on in it !

post-7292-0-77313300-1387926609_thumb.pn

Out to the southwest a whole army of the same, and the tail on the whole system swinging down into the continent delivering a MCS to Spain.

Posted

because the pressure gradient is tightening just now (moving closer together)

I know but it wasn't meant to be at this time must of stopped for a whiskey
  • Like 1

Posted

PS, don't confuse heights with thickness if you're thinking of snow potential, thicknesses are not as low as heights at 500mb today because of the very low surface pressure. Thicknesses are closer to 528 dam. Some milder pockets are rotating around this low, snow is likely to come and go at elevations above 150m and may be rather infrequent below 150m.

• Like 7

Posted

initial 11 o'clock chart and winds swinging more westerly so watch for better gusts through the central belt over the next hour or so as it should line right up soon

post-18233-0-06371300-1387927059_thumb.g

• Like 2

Posted

Folks, first of all have a wonderful Christmas............

Anyway, it has been interesting to lurk in this thread and read your reports, and certainly a memorable event for its central pressure, possibly the deepest low since 1839 to come close to land in the vicinity of Scotland. (Jan 7, 1839 low may have been sub-920 mbs near Cape Wrath and the Shetlands).

Seasons Greetings Roger.

This article may be of interest to you re: pressure readings. http://uhi-mahara.co.uk/view/artefact.php?artefact=43030&view=1258

• Like 1

Posted

I know but it wasn't meant to be at this time must of stopped for a whiskey

sorry misunderstood your post lol.