Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted

It is rajn in the valleys just now but the higher routes like Slocht and Glenogle have falling snow. However have a look at Drummochter on traffic Scotland live cameras just now if you want to see really heavy snow. North camera rather than South which shows nothing as the lense is covered.Here a milder 4C but add in that wind chill. Brrrr!

is aviemore in the valley?  and do you wreckon thats it for us at the moment snow wise?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

EAT MAIR SPROUTS OR YOUSE WILL ALL BE SORRY YOU THOUGHT IT WINDY JUST YOUSE WAIT

(yes we started on the pop)

Right, you guys - rise-and-shine...Why is a trout a 'troot',  but a sprout not a 'sproot'? Hootsmon!Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

revised 6 o'clock chart still at 932mb looks to be filling out a little and still tight gradient out to the west

so never know we could see some stronger winds still depending how it behaves

post-18233-0-21069000-1387912465_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Right, you guys - rise-and-shine...Why is a trout a 'troot',  but a sprout not a 'sproot'? Hootsmon!Posted Image

BECAUSE IT JUST IS!  Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Who else recalls that viscous storm in early 1989 (that flattened millions of trees) that didn't make the mainstream news? All I remember is that Glenurquhart looked like Tunguska after the metoeor ('ite' if it hit the ground!)) in 1908!

What did the BBC, ITV news report? Nothing, zilch, nada...

Posted

what about snaw?

looks like snow is going to be for higher ground the now.

don't think we are going to see very much decent snow wise for a while just the odd colder snap.

I've got a funny feeling the now about the second week of January and hoping we might see something better around that time.

if your looking for perameters for snow or what you might see best to ask for that is LS he is more clued up in that than me as there are many factors to look at when it comes to snow.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Sticky was it? ;)

• Like 2

Posted

BECAUSE IT JUST IS!  Posted Image

Yee Ha! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kY7CUyHtk

right here it comes ,i'm off to work ,have a great christmas ,you all

And you MM!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

found this on twitter SWAVE SNOW its the 7 o'clock radar and looks like any witry stuff is only on the highest ground

post-18233-0-38827900-1387914552_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Still nothing more than 50mph here,  just bad weather no storm......i wonder if later will bring a bitty more?  Still fridays yet folks, that could yield something worth watching.    But for now the wheelie bin guage is at 3 casualties in my street lol   windchill is face numbingly low though.

New here but wish everyone a fab few days regardless of no storm to watch :)

• Like 5

Posted

I think it's time to start chasing cold in F.I. again BUS, let's get us some GOB Posted Image

I don't think we are far away from seeing something proper wintry got a niggly feeling we will see something 7-10 days after new year but don't quote me on that.

I may be losing my mind but I think the ECM might start hinting towards the same as the GFS has been and we will get back down the looking for Greenland heights road again.

just looks a little to me like they are running fairly similar patterns.

like I said I might be going mental or just too tired lol.

Posted

BUS, im gonna sound daft now but what is ECM AND GFS????  well anyone?  go easy on the newbie

• Like 1

Posted

few good points from a cold point of view in January are for starts we are seeing a cool down just now.

GEFS ensembles are starting to have colder solutions back in the mix regularly

post-18233-0-13827600-1387916716_thumb.gpost-18233-0-63425100-1387916716_thumb.gpost-18233-0-10809800-1387916717_thumb.gpost-18233-0-25782100-1387916734_thumb.g

even ECM looks to be cooling off in the extended range

post-18233-0-62088300-1387916734_thumb.g

plus we are starting to see things happen in the strat and the vortex taking some blows

and hints from the models that the PV may be moving from Greenland hopefully without leaving anything behind.

in the next week we should get a clearer picture of what we may see moving forward.

Posted

BUS, im gonna sound daft now but what is ECM AND GFS????  well anyone?  go easy on the newbie

they are the computer models that forecast the weather.

ECM is the euro (german) model http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=1&type=0&archive=0

GFS is the American model http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=0&ech=6&carte=1

ECM has two runs a day 0z which runs from 6am-7am and 12z which runs from 6pm-7pm

GFS has four runs a day 0z 3:30am-4:45am the 6z 9:30am-10:45am the 12z 3:30pm-4:45pm and 18z 9:30pm-10:45pm

there two of the models we use to try and find out what we might see and in the links at top of page or down bottom left there are the other models on use the 3 best are ECM then UKMO (met office model) then GFS.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

BUS, im gonna sound daft now but what is ECM AND GFS???? well anyone? go easy on the newbie

They are the 'big 2' computer models. The ECM (European Meterological Centre - it's French so hence it's not EMC) is the best performing model. The GFS (Global Forecasting System) is the American product. The UKMO (UK met office) is our model so to speak. It only goes to t-144 so hence not used for trends as often. Hope that helps, more can be found in the forum help guides :)EDIT: BUS beat me to it! Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks to both of you, i have a wee bit to learn but its nice to ask and get help with oot feeling like a plum ...thanks again guys ..i use MC meteological charts. french i think.  quiet just now but the MC model shows in a few hours its lairy times up here?  heres hoping for wheelie bin number 4 casualty :)  im sat willing it to go,  well ive no tornado's to watch but trust me wheelie bins are lethal...............sigh   :)

meteociel.fr is the charts i use.

• Like 2

Posted

and you certainly don't sound daft I was the same when I first started looking at the weather I didn't have a clue about anything so don't be afraid to ask questions about anything you get stuck on and if someone is on here that knows the answer they will be more than happy to help you out.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

We all started somewhere :) The MOD is a perhaps daunting place to post so these quieter threads are a good place for such questions. Just read the forum guides and the MOD and you'll catch up quickly. If you follow the discussion it will eventually sink in... Although that tactic was not so successful for me with regard to the stratospheric predictions thread, they use big words there ;)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Woh I am so full. Absolutely stuffed.

Been eating for 4 hours now and only just finished the cheese.

Weather's pish. Blawy and mainly rain at times with a bit of sleet and hail thrown in. 3.3 C.

Santa came earlier (neighbour had to 'go feed the dog' and mysteriously appeared back after Santa had left) and mini Miss SS was so excited watching from the upstairs window (in France he comes on Christmas eve).

He'll be back again this evening (Scottish style) when the wee one's in bed for stocking filling and main present. I recommended we leave him a very healthy measure of laphroaig. Most of the carrot will go in the compost, but hey ho.

Soon time to watch the end of Lawrence of Arabia.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6